This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• Now I kinda wanna build an AK.
    And I know just the place to start.
    And to think I was gonna try and learn how to do it first. Silly me. :P
    And I know just the place to start.

$15? That'll never work. He specifically said you need a $2 shovel. A $15 will make it jam.
  • And to think I was gonna try and learn how to do it first. Silly me. :P
    Hey cuz, you know how to put together an AR, I assume, probably better than I do, and I'm confident I could make one. I'm also not going to because I'm confident that it would get me thrown the fuck in jail for a very long time. Seriously, none of the skills required are master level, the hardest part will be cutting and bending the internal rails, and making sure the barrel is plumb, I guess. And maybe headspacing it, I don't know.
    $15? That'll never work. He specifically said you need a $2 shovel. A $15 will make it jam.
    How dare you insult Kalashnikov, Glorious comrade of the soviet worker! This is not wimpy american capgun like AR, this is real man gun, very strong, very heavy, never break and NEVER jam!

• Other than just being a hobby or maybe being paranoid about the gub'ment knowing about your guns, isn't there not much reason to build an AK since the prices are about the same? (unless you use a shovel, of course)
  • edited November 2012
    Hey cuz, you know how to put together an AR, I assume, probably better than I do, and I'm confident I could make one. I'm also not going to because I'm confident that it would get me thrown the fuck in jail for a very long time. Seriously, none of the skills required are master level, the hardest part will be cutting and bending the internal rails, and making sure the barrel is plumb, I guess. And maybe headspacing it, I don't know.
    An AR15 snaps together like legos, all you need is the armorers wrench and it's a piece of cake. This requires precision drilling, bending, cutting, and riveting. It's definitely a big step up in the do it yourself scale. And the AR15 I built isn't quite working right yet.
    Other than just being a hobby or maybe being paranoid about the gub'ment knowing about your guns, isn't there not much reason to build an AK since the prices are about the same? (unless you use a shovel, of course)
    You pretty much don't build any gun to save money. You do it cause it's fun and to say you did it.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited November 2012
    You pretty much don't build any gun to save money. You do it cause it's fun and to say you did it.
    So pretty much how it is with computers these days. I do kind of want to build a rifle just for shits and giggles. How dangerous would it be to build a basic .22?
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • An AR15 snaps together like legos, all you need is the armorers wrench and it's a piece of cake. This requires precision drilling, bending, cutting, and riveting. It's definitely a big step up in the do it yourself scale. And the AR15 I built isn't quite working right yet.
    Sorry, I meant to say AK rather than AR. Still, I think I could build an AR, too, even if it would be one ugly motherfucker.
    So pretty much how it is with computers these days. I do kind of want to build a rifle just for shits and giggles. How dangerous would it be to build a basic .22?
    Depends how good you are on the tools. A bolt-action .22 would be a snap to make, if you know your way around a machine shop. The question of safety, however...Well, I'm not so sure. I wouldn't want to just leap into it.

• So pretty much how it is with computers these days. I do kind of want to build a rifle just for shits and giggles. How dangerous would it be to build a basic .22?
    Depends how good you are on the tools. A bolt-action .22 would be a snap to make, if you know your way around a machine shop. The question of safety, however...Well, I'm not so sure. I wouldn't want to just leap into it.
    Oh I just want to try making a break-barrel single shot or something simple like that. Not that I plan on doing it anytime soon. A zipgun would be fun but seems a tad more on the illegal side and I don't wanna end up in jail.
  • Oh I just want to try making a break-barrel single shot or something simple like that. Not that I plan on doing it anytime soon. A zipgun would be fun but seems a tad more on the illegal side and I don't wanna end up in jail.
    I'm sure George could fill you in a lot better, but I'm pretty sure that's not illegal. Don't forget, I'd go the fuck to jail because my country seems to be afraid of guns to a ludicrous degree, even though that's slowly improving.
  • Oh I just want to try making a break-barrel single shot or something simple like that. Not that I plan on doing it anytime soon. A zipgun would be fun but seems a tad more on the illegal side and I don't wanna end up in jail.
    I'm sure George could fill you in a lot better, but I'm pretty sure that's not illegal. Don't forget, I'd go the fuck to jail because my country seems to be afraid of guns to a ludicrous degree, even though that's slowly improving.
    Well as far as I know its legal as long as you don't sell or give it to anyone. If nothing else, a zip gun would be a pistol and I really don't want to have to get a purchase permit and register a shitty little thing I made in my garage.
  • Sorry, I meant to say AK rather than AR. Still, I think I could build an AR, too, even if it would be one ugly motherfucker.
    I'm confident you could build an AK, the drilling and the welding is right up your alley. Me not so much, my tools are much more limited.

And I really don't know shit about building a gun. Like I said, the AR15 goes together like Legos. It's easy, simpler guns would actually be harder to build.
  • Sorry, I meant to say AK rather than AR. Still, I think I could build an AR, too, even if it would be one ugly motherfucker.
    I'm confident you could build an AK, the drilling and the welding is right up your alley. Me not so much, my tools are much more limited.
    Natural as breathing. But the amount/level of welding isn't anything complex, the part that's going to be hard, like I said, is the cutting and bending of the internal rails - for which the tools are very simple, but the skills are trickier.
    And I really don't know shit about building a gun. Like I said, the AR15 goes together like Legos. It's easy, simpler guns would actually be harder to build.
    Ah yes, but you have an advantage - Say, you want to build an AK. So, you take apart your AK, and use it for templates and examples. You go, you buy a barrel kit, you buy a receiver blank, barrel blank and furniture. You buy some ammo to test it.

I want to build an AK, I take apart nothing, go by whatever pictures I can get online, and then possibly go to jail for the attempt even if it doesn't work.
  • Picked up a new gun. A Ruger single six .22 revolver. Waiting right now for my turn at the gun range.
  • Ban on Concealed Carry revoked in Illinois. Time to pick up that Sig, WUB.
  • Yeah, I saw that. I'm so pumped. Probably going with a Glock 22; can't decide between 9mm or .40.
  • If you've got the cash, buy the .40 and get a 9mm barrel for it. 2 guns in one!
  • If you've got the cash, buy the .40 and get a 9mm barrel for it. 2 guns in one!
    That won't work. You get a .40 and buy a .357 sig barrel.

Personally, I'd go with a 9mm. It's cheaper to shoot. As for stopping power, it's really moot. Most of your common handgun calibers are sucky for stopping power. A rifle/shotgun level of energy is what you want in that situation.
  • Taurus Judge in .45 Long Colt or 410 shotgun. Can load it up with both at the same time and tell the baddies there's a chance their entrails will paint the wall behind them.
  • Taurus Judge in .45 Long Colt or 410 shotgun. Can load it up with both at the same time and tell the baddies there's a chance their entrails will paint the wall behind them.
    I think you missed the concealed part of "concealed carry". Even the public defender is a lot of gun to be hiding on your person. It also comes with all the usual wheel gun baggage.

I still want one.
  • Also, the Judge's recoil has been described by my friend as, and I quote, "Almost wrist-shattering. Worse than a Desert Eagle chambered for AE .50."

Now THIS is a Chicago CCW.
  • Only a 6 round capacity? May as well be using the revolver.

This is the better option. 10mm Firepower and 15 rounds of it.
  • The Glock 20 is awesome.
  • edited December 2012
    The judge is okay, but I can't say it's really worth the money. You'd get along better with a regular .357, which will be cheaper, easier to handle, and performs better in every category short of "Being a kind of shitty shotgun, too."

In reality, the best option for concealed carry? Whatever you're most comfortable with and suits you best. Ideally, it's going to be a target gun that you just carry around, because you don't want to use it - and when you do, it's not going to be a situation where you have the ability to stop and think about things. So you want something comfortable and natural - For example, my personal preference is the Browning Hi-Power MK III, as it's the finest pistol ever designed, but for WUB, that might not suit his hand quite as well. The difference might be as small as using a CZ-75 instead, or maybe a snub-nose .38, or maybe he ends up with a fuckin' mateba autorevolver, I don't even know, that's not the point.

The point is that you use the equipment that works best for you. He might prefer a different caliber - I like 9mm, but others prefer .45, or .357, or .38. I've even heard about people who carry .22LRs or .22 win-mags for their carry guns. Some people even carry more than one, for some reason I don't even care to speculate about.

It's all about what works for YOU. There is no formula, no chart to tell you the dope, nothing like that - just figure what works, and work it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2012
    I would quite like a Browning Hi-Power (I agree with your estimation of it as the best pistol ever), but I can't afford it right now. My ideal carry would be a Sig Sauer P226 Navy. I REALLY want a suppressed P226, but that's outrageously expensive, and Illinois will probably make suppressors illegal for CCWs.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I loved my dad's Hi Power but they stopped making them so any you find might be set at "collectible" pricing.
  • I loved my dad's Hi Power but they stopped making them so any you find might be set at "collectible" pricing.
    What? No, they do. You can buy the Mark III and the Standard directly from Browning Firearms, brand new fresh off the manufacturing line, as well as from just about any Browning reseller.
    I would quite like a Browning Hi-Power (I agree with your estimation of it as the best pistol ever), but I can't afford it right now.
    Yeah, that's kinda the downside, that they're at least a grand brand new. I was kinda being facetious about being the best pistol ever made, but they're still really, really fucking good. Easily in the top ten, if not the top five.
    My ideal carry would be a Sig Sauer P226 Navy. I REALLY want a suppressed P226, but that's outrageously expensive, and Illinois will probably make suppressors illegal for CCWs.
    SIG make some damned fine firearms, and the P226 navy is a very, very nice bit of kit.

• Solid advice Churba. That's the tack I always take with prospective customers and I haven't yet had one complain that they got the wrong gun. Of course, I've ended up selling them my competitors guns a few times, but better no sale than a pissed off customer.

I'm a .45 man myself. New York Limits magazine capacity to 10. If I can only have a few rounds I may as well make sure they hurt. I'm saving up for a Glock 30.
  • For me, the Glock 17 is the finest pistol currently made. It just carries so many bullets in such a small and light weight package.