This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• That's a really heavy gun considering its size and construction (they say it's polymer). I'd save your money and buy a good used handgun. I got a used Glock 17 for $400, lots of slide wear but functionally fine. I just recented got a Beretta 92G for the same price. Visually much more beat than the Glock, but again functionally fine.
  • Well my dad picked up that hi point. It seems pretty decent and I don't remember any issues with jamming or anything like that. Its heavy but shoots just fine.

On another note, my dad just texted me earlier today that he just picked up a Smith and Wesson 22a target pistol for $200. Have any of you guys had any experience with this gun?
  • I got my AR front sight adjustment tool, my AK tool should come shortly. This means I have to go to the range and do the tedious work of sighting in my assault rifles.

I'm also thinking about some mods to my AR. I currently have an heavy barrel on my A2 upper. This means that while it looks like an M16 in exterior dimensions, it's a massive 1" barrel under the handguards rather than a lean mil spec .650". The extra barrel weight forward of the receiver makes the gun very tiring to hold and shoot from anything but a bench rest position. I'm gonna look into getting the barrel turned down to mil spec fighting weight.
  • Would a Piston-driven AR fix most of the problems that Churba always complains about, or would a newbie just be better off getting something similar to an AR, like a SU-16? Just something I've been wondering.
  • edited June 2012
    Would a Piston-driven AR fix most of the problems that Churba always complains about, or would a newbie just be better off getting something similar to an AR, like a SU-16? Just something I've been wondering.
    Yes, it does, or at least, sort of. A piston will direct the gasses out and away from the majority of the internals, and fouling/corrosion is the main problem with Direct impingement. It doesn't fix the fucked up chamber or the annoying process if you want to get it properly clean, but at least it's not blowing hot carbon and other shit straight back into the chamber and action.

It doesn't really fix most of the things I don't like about the AR platform, but it does fix the biggest one, and mitigates a lot of the other problems.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I think a newbie would be better off not screwing with things he doesn't really understand yet, no offense. If you don't like the AR platform because of DI, whatever. I highly recommend an AK. Steel cased 7.62x39 is the same price as steel cased .223 and both are way cheaper than brass .223. I also really like shooting my Ruger mini-14. My friend Chris liked my mini so much that he kept shooting it even when the rear sight fell off. :-P
  • I'd probably just buy an AK first anyway, but I just wondered. Right now I'm probably going to pick up something like a Mossberg plinkster or Ruger 10/22 since I don't actually need anything "Tactical." I'm mainly hoping to find an old .22 at a garage sale this summer that I could clean up.
  • A .22 is an excellent first gun. I'm actually dusting my 22 back off because my riflery needs more practice and assault rifles are expensive to shoot'
  • The way I see it, right now since I'm not hunting and I don't really need it for self defense a .22 is fine. And hell, if it really came down to it a semi-automatic .22 still wouldn't feel like ponies and rainbows on the receiving end. I really can't justify paying like a dollar a round when I can get 500-some rounds for like $20.
  • edited June 2012
    I think a newbie would be better off not screwing with things he doesn't really understand yet, no offense.
    Eh, I just figured he'd get someone else to install it, since that's a gunsmith job, not a home job, especially for someone looking to buy a first rifle.
    If you don't like the AR platform because of DI, whatever.
    No, I don't like it because without modification, it's a fucking dog, and if it doesn't pass muster right out of the box, then I'll not bother with it until I have the money to toss away on fixing a brand-new rifle. Shit, yours IS modified, and you still complain about it - and up till the last I heard you complain, you'd never cleaned an AR before. Considering you haven't said anything about buying a set of jewelers tools and dental picks, I'm not sure you're properly cleaned it now.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I was mainly talking about just buying a pre-built one. They're quite a bit more expensive, but they're out there. I certainly wouldn't buy it as my first rifle.
  • If you don't like the AR platform because of DI, whatever.
    No, I don't like it because without modification, it's a fucking dog, and if it doesn't pass muster right out of the box, then I'll not bother with it until I have the money to toss away on fixing a brand-new rifle. Shit, yours IS modified, and you still complain about it - and up till the last I heard you complain, you'd never cleaned an AR before. Considering you haven't said anything about buying a set of jewelers tools and dental picks, I'm not sure you're properly cleaned it now.
    What I meant was if you don't like the AR, there are plenty of other rifles. Don't try to make massive aftermarket changes on a gun you don't really know a lot about.

And yes, cleaning the barrel extension is a pain. Frankly I have an AR cause it's a piece of American military history and I think that's neat. It's also pretty easy to shoot.

And since we'e talking about piston vs. DI, piston designs aren't always squeaky clean. My AK action action gets dirty as shit when I shoot it cause the piston tube opens into the receiver. My Mini-14 is the only gas operated gun I have that stays pretty clean through use, even with dirty steel cased ammo.
  • Cleaning the whole damn rifle is a pain - but I'm talking about getting it deep and squeaky clean, not just just a regular maintenance clean. Which is annoying, but not QUITE as bad.
    My AK action action gets dirty as shit when I shoot it cause the piston tube opens into the receiver.
    Dear whoever designed that,

You're fuckin' stupid.

Love,

Churbs.

Seriously, that's not typical. I don't know why they'd go with that over a closed or short stroke piston, other than price.

• Seriously, that's not typical. I don't know why they'd go with that over a closed or short stroke piston, other than price.
    Every AK is like that. It simplifies the rifle a lot and makes it super easy to field strip. Probably cheaper too.
  • Seriously, that's not typical. I don't know why they'd go with that over a closed or short stroke piston, other than price.
    Every AK is like that. It simplifies the rifle a lot and makes it super easy to field strip. Probably cheaper too.
    I'm pretty sure genuine AKs don't, They port outside the rifle, and don't go anywhere near the receiver. In fact, looking at diagrams for a few different variants of the AK, I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen - they all vent further up, usually close to the gas block, not into the receiver.

The hell kinda AK do you have? I know it's a long time since I've had my hands in the guts of one, but I'm pretty sure the AK's long stroke piston shouldn't be venting into the receiver, not even through the piston tube.

• My little brother has acquired a ton of air guns and his response when I mentioned three of the most important rules of gun safety last night was "UGH shut up." This can only end poorly.
  • You're right, it does vent at the gas block, but there are no seals or anything. Gunk finds a way to get by and into the action. Shooting dirty and poor sealing steel cased ammo is probably not helping. :P

Point is my AK seems to always find a way to get just as dirty as my AR, despite having a piston. Frankly my mini is the only one that don't get gunked up with crap when I shoot it, even with russian bullets.
  • I'd look at your piston, when you have the chance. Might be a little loose in there. That said, it might also be specific to the line you own, since AK's are not exactly standard from manufacturer to manufacturer.
  • My AK is a WASR-10, it's a straight AKM pattern rifle. AKs just aren't built to tight specs. The gas tube is wide open so nothing can jam it up.
  • Fair point. And it's not like it's going to fail on you, you could pack the thing with dirt, piss down the action to rinse it, and it'd fire just fine. But I know how you feel, I don't like having a dirty rifle.
  • edited June 2012
    I don't really care if it's dirty or clean as long as it cycles when I need it to. The AK does that. Always. :P

New topic, does anyone know a reasonably priced, good quality scope manufacturer? Since the rear sight fell off my Mini-14 (due to a stripped screw) I've decided I'll just slap a low power scope on it rather than a try to fix it.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Tasco scopes seem to be pretty good and fairly cheap.
  • I don't really care if it's dirty or clean as long as it cycles when I need it to. The AK does that. Always. :P

New topic, does anyone know a reasonably priced, good quality scope manufacturer? Since the rear sight fell off my Mini-14 (due to a stripped screw) I've decided I'll just slap a low power scope on it rather than a try to fix it.
    Simmons Prohunter Rifle Scope 2x-6x are pretty good, and super cheap, only about a hundred bucks.

HOWEVER, for that kinda price, you can get a Leupold Rifleman scope, and if you can go Leupold, then I'd recommend it.

• HOWEVER, for that kinda price, you can get a Leupold Rifleman scope, and if you can go Leupold, then I'd recommend it.
    Show me where I can get a Leupold rifleman for $100 and I'll buy it right now.
  • edited June 2012
    They're usually about 150-180, that's what the "about" is for, since I didn't look it up straight off. The best I saw the Simmons for was 127.

Here's a one, at $177. And that's with continuous tension Windage dials, and the lifetime warranty that I'd match with zippo's. You can even get them used, and the warranty still applies, as far as I know.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah, I've been eyeing Leupolds for some time, but the ones I look at are always pricey ($250-$300). The rifleman line looks cheap enough that I'll just save up for it. What draws me to them is I once used my friend's remington 700 with a leupold VX-II on it. That scope is phenomenal.
  • Leupold do make fantastic scopes.
  • edited July 2012
    My dad just picked me up an old Savage Arms 6a tube-fed .22 semi-automatic. It did jam one particularly bad time, but other than that it ran great. I'm pretty sure the jam can be attributed to being in a garage for 50 years, and now that it's lubed up a bit it should hopefully be fine. Does anyone here have experience with these rifles?
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Yo there is a story going around about a guy that 3d printed an AR-15 lower receiver and test-fired it with no issues. I'll try to dig up the article, but, wowzers.