This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I heard about that a while back. Kids these days, downloading guns off the internets.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • My dad just picked me up an old Savage Arms 6a tube-fed .22 semi-automatic. It did jam one particularly bad time, but other than that it ran great. I'm pretty sure the jam can be attributed to being in a garage for 50 years, and now that it's lubed up a bit it should hopefully be fine. Does anyone here have experience with these rifles?
    My younger brother had one when we were kids. Do you have any specific questions or just looking for general impressions.
  • My dad just picked me up an old Savage Arms 6a tube-fed .22 semi-automatic. It did jam one particularly bad time, but other than that it ran great. I'm pretty sure the jam can be attributed to being in a garage for 50 years, and now that it's lubed up a bit it should hopefully be fine. Does anyone here have experience with these rifles?
    My younger brother had one when we were kids. Do you have any specific questions or just looking for general impressions.
    Mainly general impressions really. I only shot it a few times, but until it jammed it seemed to run great. What do you think its worth? Its in pretty good condition other than a tiny bit of rust on the barrel and some wear on the stock.
  • It is a good rifle, if maintained it could last seemingly forever. My brother's was in near perfect condition when they purchased it for him and I think they paid around $150 so I would guess that is probably the upper end but I am not sure.
  • Oh that's great to hear. My dad paid $100 for it at a garage sale, so that sounds about right.
  • Yo there is a story going around about a guy that 3d printed an AR-15 lower receiver and test-fired it with no issues. I'll try to dig up the article, but, wowzers.
    If it was made of billet aluminum I don't see any reason he'd have any trouble.
  • Yo there is a story going around about a guy that 3d printed an AR-15 lower receiver and test-fired it with no issues. I'll try to dig up the article, but, wowzers.
    If it was made of billet aluminum I don't see any reason he'd have any trouble.
    If I remember correctly it was made out of some really strong plastic or polymer.
  • Time to consider a CCW piece now that I'm getting a car. No those two things really don't have much relation other than I'd rather have a mode of transportation before a method of defense.
  • edited July 2012
    Freedom is officially safe from Obama. (3D printed gun thing)

I kid.

But for real... this is kind of a big deal.

EDIT: I mean, I know it isn't really THAT big a deal since, wow 3D printed a shape, but what happens when this enters the public conciousness?
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Man, that could be an actual safe (but still illegal) way to convert a rifle to full auto.
  • Heh, neat. I wonder how long until it's possible to print an entire gun that could shoot .22 rounds?
  • edited July 2012
    Man, that could be an actual safe (but still illegal) way to convert a rifle to full auto.
    As opposed to just buying a full auto sear for your AR15? If I took a grinder to the trigger on my AKM I could make it full auto. Full auto isn't hard, the ATF just comes down like a ton bricks on you if they find out.

EDIT: The same way making your own gun is very illegal. Good for this guy that made a AR15 lower, but I bet the ATF is searching for him.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • You could also CNC legit gun parts. OOOScott (the one who was at pete-fest, pax-e & ctcon) mills parts by "hand".
  • edited July 2012
    As opposed to just buying a full auto sear for your AR15? If I took a grinder to the trigger on my AKM I could make it full auto. Full auto isn't hard, the ATF just comes down like a ton bricks on you if they find out.

EDIT: The same way making your own gun is very illegal. Good for this guy that made a AR15 lower, but I bet the ATF is searching for him.
    Actually making guns in a small scale/non professional capacity is totally legal, provided they are not machine guns. An AR15 lower is not a machine gun because the design is intended to be semi auto. It only becomes a machine gun if it is modified to fire full auto or burst.

Any individual is allowed to make guns for their own use, your just not allowed to sell them. You can even build and/or own a machine gun provided you get a $200 tax stamp from the ATF.

If you want legal full auto without the stamp, I would suggest you Google "slide stock" or "Bump fire stock". That's totally legit.
    Yo there is a story going around about a guy that 3d printed an AR-15 lower receiver and test-fired it with no issues. I'll try to dig up the article, but, wowzers.
    The engineer where I work 3d prints prototypes and samples of the gun parts he designs all the time. I don't think he's ever done a full lower but i know he could, and from the performance of his other parts I think it would hold up just fine.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Do lowers need serial numbers?
  • Do lowers need serial numbers?
    For AR15's yes. Technically the lower ,IS the firearm. The rest of the components can be sold or traded as parts with no tracking necessary.

Exactly which part of a given rifle needs to be serialized varies from rifle to rifle. IT's always part of the receiver, but not always the lowest part.

• The whole "lower receiver" thing isn't universal, but it's part of US gun law at least.
  • Not knowing much about gun parts, I thought the lower receiver was just a piece of the gun. When you actually see it, you realize it IS the gun.
  • Speaking of real guns, I got my punch unstuck from my AR15. This allowed me to finally remove the front sight base. I now have my gun down to the bare upper receiver and barrel. I'll work on the barrel nut after work.
  • Man, that could be an actual safe (but still illegal) way to convert a rifle to full auto.

Well, I know you could grind it down, but it seems like it would be easier and safer if you could just print out the full auto receiver and other necessary parts vs modifying existing ones?
    Any individual is allowed to make guns for their own use, your just not allowed to sell them. You can even build and/or own a machine gun provided you get a $200 tax stamp from the ATF.
    Hmm, maybe federally, but It seems like there are state laws that say otherwise. And I'm not so sure about the machine gun, considering you need a licence to own one unless it's a pre-ban gun.
    If you want legal full auto without the stamp, I would suggest you Google "slide stock" or "Bump fire stock". That's totally legit.
    I've seen those, and they do look neat but don't they have issues with being harder to control and possible damaging your rifle?

Well, I know you could grind it down, but it seems like it would be easier and safer if you could just print out the full auto receiver and other necessary parts vs modifying existing ones?
    My point was that anyone that wanted illegal full auto would have it already.

• Hmm, maybe federally, but It seems like there are state laws that say otherwise. And I'm not so sure about the machine gun, considering you need a licence to own one unless it's a pre-ban gun.
    I should probably add "see your state and local laws" as a caveat to anything i say about gun law, but it holds true for the majority of the country. Manufacturing a firearm is beyond the capability of so much of the population that there has never really been a need to legislate otherwise in most places.

I'l look up the legality on the machine gun part of it as soon as I get a chance and post what i find.
    I've seen those, and they do look neat but don't they have issues with being harder to control and possible damaging your rifle?
    They aren't perfect, but they are made to exploit loophole in the wording of the law to allow you to obtain something that should by all reasonable arguments be illegal. There are bound to be a few downsides.

As it is, slide fire stocks aren't popular enough for me to have heard much through the grapevine about them yet. So I'm reserving judgement until I get some first hand experience with one.
  • My point was that anyone that wanted illegal full auto would have it already.
    Hell, you could probably just buy a full auto easier than a 3D printer right now (especially if your intention is to use it for ill anyways).

I'm more worried that this is going to be an arrow in the quiver for the "Regulate the Internet" crowd.

• In case anyone wanted to get a detailed video on bump fire stocks.
  • Just about anything that can be used for nefarious purposes will be ammo for the regulation crowds.
  • I now have my AR15 fully disassembled. Gonna wait and see what my budget looks like this month and then buy a new barrel.
  • I now have my AR15 fully disassembled. Gonna wait and see what my budget looks like this month and then buy a new barrel.
    ...to go with your new suppressor?

• I'm still having issues with my .22. At first it mostly wasn't feeding properly and the cartridge would jam in the chamber due to some nicks around the edge. My dad took it to his gunsmith friend and they polished the inside. That got rid of that issue, and it seemed to run fine for maybe 10 or 15 round today. Then it jammed and a round was lodged inside of the feeding mechanism. I thought it might be the spring in the tube, but it jammed when there were still maybe 6 rounds inside, so I don't know if that would be the issue. The spring on the feeding mechanism seems fine and I really can't tell what the problem is. It runs fine in single shot, but after a few shots in semi-auto it jams again.
  • Try high-velocity rounds.
  • We tried a cci stinger, but that proceeded to jam horribly. Most of the stuff we've been shooting is Blazer, but today we tried some Remington which worked even worse. I think it might not like jacketed ammo, at least in semi-auto. Even after switching back to Blazer, there are still issues. Besides failure to eject and failure to load, lately its been firing 2 rounds automatically and then jamming or just staying half-cocked. It works perfectly as a bolt action, but I can just not figure out how to get semi-auto working correctly. I may just give up and buy a Plinkster or 10/22 and just use this as a bolt action if my dad and his gunsmith friend don't have any luck with it.