This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Oh, it's absolutely useless for making predictions on people's behaviors, because brains are complex and flexible things and very good at self-deception, and evopsych is mostly used by sexist shitlords trying to justify their backwards values with bullshit science. Such observations are only good for really abstract philosophical shit.

Oh ok, whew.

• edited April 2012
    They're giving you $25 dollars on Steam to download the Gothic bundle.
    I see what you're doing there. I laughed heartily.
    Aww they fixed it. At least they block the condition that anything higher than 100% off is an error. I was really hoping that I could get a bunch of free games and $25.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Lunar flight = Basic aims of Lunar Lander combined with a fully accurate cockpit of the real lunar lander.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/208600/
  • *reads thread* Is there a thread that ever doesn't end in an argument over free will.. we should attempt to make every thread just devolve into this argument... Back in Video games news,...
  • If you have free will, prove it by not buying games on Steam for cheap.
  • If you have free will, prove it by not buying games on Steam for cheap.
    Hold on, lemmie look at the steam deals that are on right now...

Yeah, Looks like I've got free will.
  • Believe it or not I don't buy every cheap game on Steam :-p
  • But I do buy a lot of them. Bored on a quiet weekend? Sure I'll spend $10 and play some random game. It's cheaper than the bar anyway.
  • Believe it or not I don't buy every cheap game on Steam :-p
  • Time Cook (the new Steve Jobs) was spotted at Valve HQ.

That is all.
  • Holy shit that guy looks very similar to my Dad.
  • edited April 2012

I think Ninja Theory wanted to turn Devil May Cry into The Dark Knight Strikes Again.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Time Cook (the new Steve Jobs) was spotted at Valve HQ.

That is all.
    Oh frick, Apple sent someone to bake time and prevent Half Life so they can dominate computer gaming

• Exciting news from Valve - HL3 gets a release date...And is exclusive to iOS.
  • Xenoblade, it is a game with balls! :O
  • edited April 2012
    Damn! I missed an awesome Scott-argument.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2012
    Well, although I'm quite late, I think I'll comment on the discussion from last page.
    First of all, discussions on "free will" often come down to people working with different conceptions of what the concept even means (typically compatibilist vs libertarian free will).

The important fact is that people do, in fact, make decisions, which come down to a confluence of factors including instincts, emotions, and self-reflecting thought, and whether or not such decisions are predetermined is of little relevance.

Moreover, while Scott makes a valid and pertinent point in that there is more to life than pleasure, he seems to be missing the fact that pleasure is nonetheless an important - indeed, essential - part of life. Similarly, while there is more to a good game than pleasure, a good game should generally be pleasurable, although there are exceptions and this clearly doesn't have to apply unequivocally to every single person. I also find it quite surprising that Scott thinks playing MMOs all day would be "the most fun ever" - this is a pretty stupid comment (even) by his standards, and, in particular, deeply unimaginative. In any case, I don't think it's true.
  • edited April 2012
    Because your brain, while determinist, is capable of long-term planning. It knows you aren't in danger of dying from hunger, and it has worked out that long term security, comfort, and reproduction are better served arguing on the internet.
    That's blatantly ridiculous.

It's quite obvious that brains are not merely directed solely towards maximising the number of copies of their genes, because they aren't particularly good at it. For a pretty simple example, consider this - why did we invent condoms?

Yes, there's a bundle of drives and processes in our brains that are there because they improve our inclusive genetic fitness, but there's a whole bunch of baggage that puts them very far away from being merely directed solely towards making copies of genes. Moreover, these drives are not limited to only security, comfort, and reproduction; humans care about a lot more than just that.
  • Shit's complicated. That's how I end up punctuating every argument nowadays.
  • Why not do drugs? If all you want is good feelings, why play games? Just have sex all the time and eat luxurious food. Never do anything that's hard or challenging. Just do easy things that give out lots and lots of pleasure and never stop.
    This is actually really sound advice imho.
    In my book that is a perfect set of instructions on how to become a worthless human being deserving of no respect.
    "Every human being not going to the extreme limit is the servant or the
    enemy of man and the accomplice of a nameless obscenity."
  • Do I beat ME3 now or wait for the release of the extended endings?
  • Do I beat ME3 now or wait for the release of the extended endings?
    Beat it now, and use that anger to fuel empires!

• He's sad because even though he saved the world from Sephiroth, he couldn't save the Japanese game industry from itself.
  • That's pretty hilarious. That's also probably why I never bothered to finish Kingdom Hearts 2.
  • Cloud was awesome. Then he had a kinda emo-y whiney segment in the first Kingdom Hearts. Then Advent Children made whiny bitch Cloud cannon.

God, a significant part of FFVII was spent having Cloud get over his fucking issues!
  • Pikmin 3 confirmed. I'm good with this.
  • Pikmin 3 confirmed. I'm good with this.
    Very interesting, it's for Wii U. I wonder how they play to use Pikmin to show off the Wii U technology? I won't be buying one (at least not at launch) so I won't be finding out first hand. Sort of disappointed b/c it seemed like a natural fit for the 3DS instead.

• I'm pretty sure it being for Wii U is thus far only speculation.
  • http://kotaku.com/5903627/gabe-newell-updates-interviewer-on-the-status-of-wink-wink-ricochet-2

Fuck you saying Ricochet is shit. Fuck you with the world's biggest and rustiest spoon.
  • Fuck you saying Ricochet is shit. Fuck you with the world's biggest and rustiest spoon.
    Seriously. I probably had more fun with Ricochet at LAN parties than any other game back in 2000-2002. It was a great game for playing between sprees of CS.