This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• EVE Online continues to be the only MMO that matters.
    > Alexander "The Mittani" Gianturco - who CCP recently banned for encouraging the community to grief a suicidal player during the recent FanFest event
    [...]
    > The Mittani's 30 day Eve Online ban

Only 30 days for griefing a suicidal player? A little lenient, don't you think?
  • edited April 2012
    While I personally agree it to be lenient I am not sure how they would view it since from all I have heard they are quite relaxed on a lot of forms of griefing.

As for how I feel about EVE Online overall I am a bit mixed. The game itself is basically for someone who loves spreadsheets but some of the other stuff is really interesting, such as the the council and letting players do what they want even if it affects the game negatively.

If they were to take some of those interesting elements and add them to another MMO that was great as a game then I could see something awesome coming out of it. Whoever does try to do it though will probably fail as it seems that whenever someone tries to incorporate interesting concepts from other games they tend to fall short of their goal. I think Darksiders is the only game I have seen pull off bringing different concepts from multiple games into one and do it well.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • @canine224

That's pretty much a what a lot of people want the next Eve-like game to be. Hell, I'll even buy into the space setting. I just don't enjoy the actual play mechanics as implemented (any of them, combat, exploration, or industry). I'm in love with the ideas of the real game that supercedes all that, always have been.
  • edited April 2012
    @canine224

That's pretty much a what a lot of people want the next Eve-like game to be. Hell, I'll even buy into the space setting. I just don't enjoy the actual play mechanics as implemented (any of them, combat, exploration, or industry). I'm in love with the ideas of the real game that supercedes all that, always have been.
    I think that if EVE Online was actually fun on it's own then NONE of the things that make EVE Online interesting would ever happen since they are all the direct result of people MAKING fun, instead of having it.

Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I think that if EVE Online was actually fun on it's own then NONE of the things that make EVE Online interesting would ever happen since they are all the direct result of people MAKING fun, instead of having it.
    That's a theory, but this sort of thing has happened to a lesser extent across a lot of MMOs. It's just that it's been bigger in EVE. I would wager that the fact that there's a single universe and a persistent environment are the primary catalysts necessary.
  • edited April 2012
    You also need to weed out the influence of dilettante who are there to be entertained.

Whenever I heard about people doing high level raiding in WoW, the frustration and tedium broken up by moments of glory, I was struck by how entirely different the design aesthetic was from the early game. I knew that I would never experience that personally since I have no patience or desire to play anything enough to get to that point.

EVE Online is made entirely out of FUCK YOU for people who are there to be entertained. Only people with thick skins and a lot of (arguably misplaced) ambition will get anything out of it.

As far as I'm concerned, hearing about the madness in EVE Online, watching pro StarCraft, reading Dwarf Fortress AARs or watching ArmA II videos is no different from listening to music created by career musicians; just because I'm not doing it myself doesn't mean I can't enjoy it.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • The EVE Online guys are working on DUST 514, an FPS that takes some of the concepts they're famous for. I can't find the article, but one of the designers was describing how they're making the game super high stakes and cutthroat. For one thing, the game actually interacts with EVE Online, where DUST players can ask for aerial strikes from EVE Online players. They're also expecting players to be completely intolerant of newbies, and actually encourage trolling by joining the other team. Also, by winning matches, corporations may take over areas, affecting trade and profits in certain reasons.

I know I'm intrigued (even though it's PS3 only). It actually sounds like F2P done right...
  • Shit. I kind of want to join EVE now just to form a mercenary corp that provides aerial devastation to the highest bidder.
  • War of the Roses looks absolutely delicious. Looks like Paradox Entertainment is going to do it again.

• edited April 2012
    <snob>The board game was better.</snob>
    Post edited by Not nine on

• I'm really curious about the specifics of how this is going to work money-wise.
  • To the best of my knowledge, it's all free, unless you want to buy a robot beanie or something.
  • To the best of my knowledge, it's all free, unless you want to buy a robot beanie or something.
    Damnit.

What is with all these awesome games making awesome things that require so much investment. It's like, I could get involved in the thing Notch is making, or Portal map making, or NS2 Squad 5, or Super Meat Boy map making. There's just too many things, and any individual person only has enough power to do one or two.
  • You must commit to one thing!
  • Well, complaining about all the awesome things you could do is wasting time you could spend doing at least one of those awesome things.
  • You must commit to one thing!
    Attack only one!
  • Do all the things!
  • I'm actually currently 75% of the way "done" with a shit-talk. I put done in quotes because done in this sense means putting it out there. If it actually works, it will require a lot more work going forwards.
  • Half ass them all!
    Damnit.

What is with all these awesome games making awesome things that require so much investment. It's like, I could get involved in the thing Notch is making, or Portal map making, or NS2 Squad 5, or Super Meat Boy map making. There's just too many things, and any individual person only has enough power to do one or two.
    The Portal 2 map-maker is going to be dead simple. No, seriously, my company is teaching it to children 10-12. The investment will not be in the actual learning of how the software works, but in figuring out how to design a clever and fun puzzle.
  • edited April 2012
    To the best of my knowledge, it's all free, unless you want to buy a robot beanie or something.
    Damnit.

The Portal 2 map-maker is going to be dead simple. No, seriously, my company is teaching it to children 10-12. The investment will not be in the actual learning of how the software works, but in figuring out how to design a clever and fun puzzle.
    That's going to be hard, even for me. I mean, it's easy to come up with obstacles, and put them in order. But how do you make it so the obstacles are both possible to overcome without being obvious? It's extremely difficult. This is why Portal games do not have that many levels. They had to add more factors like the goop in order to make more puzzles that are still interesting.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2012
    Most of the fan made maps are based around acrobatics, not a lot going on in terms of puzzle solving.

I do hope this will allow the creation of co-op maps.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What's with this month and all interesting Live Arcade games coming out? Oh, wait it's already May, well it's still close enough to April, this counts.

So because I don't yet play this game (or even own it) I feel that this thread is the most fitting for talking about new Xbox Live Arcade and PSN game Awesomenauts. I just played the demo and I might purchase it soon. But, what it is? Awesomenauts is MOBA, but instead of clicky click, it's 2D shooty action platforming. The normal MOBA elements are there, character building, turrets, minions and resource collection. On my brief time with the demo the gameplay felt fun and fast pace, but maybe little chaotic, but that's mostly because at this point I don't know the characters and their abilities at all. As a nice chance to the formula Awesomenauts has only one type of resource, instead of having money and exp, there is only money type resource that can be collected from the level, dropped by killed minions and be gain by killing opponents. That money-resource is then used to upgrade different aspects of the character.

Biggest negative side I saw during the demo is that there is a meta-leveling system. From paying the game you gain exp and levels and those levels unlock the characters and probably alternative upgrade options. Also in one game I played it seemed that enemy team totally dominated us and one of the enemies had managed to gain huge edge and was a unstoppable killing machine. That alone wouldn't be a problem but it seemed that even with huge edge, it took them a while to get through our defenses, but that might just be because of the lack of player skill instead of fault in game. That kind of thing can't really be judged by one match.

But am I only one here who is in anyway interested of this, or is there possibility that I could find some playing company here?
  • I downloaded the game last night since it is free for Playstation Plus members but have yet to play it. It seems interesting and I would be happy to play with you but with my work schedule, 3pm EST through 12am EST, I am not sure how well that work out.
  • I downloaded the game last night since it is free for Playstation Plus members but have yet to play it. It seems interesting and I would be happy to play with you but with my work schedule, 3pm EST through 12am EST, I am not sure how well that work out.
    Also you are on wrong console.

• Also you are on wrong console.
    Oh yeah, I missed that first sentence somehow. @_@
  • How can he be on the wrong console when he got the game for free?
  • How can he be on the wrong console when he got the game for free?
    PlayStation plus means that he pays monthly to get free stuff.
    http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/06/30
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, it is not really free, but I get a lot out of what I pay, although I would not say it is completely worth it unless you take advantage of all of its perks. I have paid for a full year twice now and I have a had several games that I played using it, such as Far Cry 2 and Wipeout, plus discounts of other merchandise for download. Once I get a PC that can play games I probably will not renew my subscription again.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • And you pay for Xbox live and get what?