This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• And you pay for Xbox live and get what?
    The ability to play with other people?

• And you pay for Xbox live and get what?
    The ability to play with other people?

Which is FREE on the PS3.

If I buy a multi player game on 360 why do I also have to play for live gold to play it? I don't have to on PC or PS3.
  • If I buy a multi player game on 360 why do I also have to play for live gold to play it? I don't have to on PC or PS3.
    If I remember correctly, it's because Microsoft handles all the multiplayer servers on Xbox. On PC and I'd guess on PS3 too, the servers are responsibility of the publisher of the game.
  • If I buy a multi player game on 360 why do I also have to play for live gold to play it? I don't have to on PC or PS3.
    If I remember correctly, it's because Microsoft handles all the multiplayer servers on Xbox. On PC and I'd guess on PS3 too, the servers are responsibility of the publisher of the game.
    I am not sure about all publishers but I know that EA handles their multiplayer servers on Xbox too.
  • edited May 2012
    Now that BF3 allows leased servers on Xbox can I lease a server and ditch my gold account?

Why does Xbox require gold for Netflix when PS3 and Wii do not?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Now that BF3 allows leased servers on Xbox can I lease a server and ditch my gold account?
    Nope. You still require XBL gold to play on the server you're paying to rent.

• I'm probably letting XBL Gold expire when it runs out.
  • I'm probably letting XBL Gold expire when it runs out.
    That's what I'm doing too, but only because I will then wait for the next good bargain for the gold. There seems to be one pretty much every month so I probably won't need to wait long.

• I would cancel it, but I use it for the Netflix app. I would just use the Netflix app on the HTPC and save some cash. BUT they added working surround sound to the Netflix app, which is not supported on the PC version. Is surround sound worth it? It's ok. Once I finish the IMDB top 250, I'm cancelling Netflix and XLBA Gold.
  • Skyrim MMO announced. I feel...conflicted.
    Can you say money grab?
  • Can you say money grab?
    Money grab.
    Wait, what?
  • edited May 2012
    Skyrim MMO announced. I feel...conflicted.
    Can you say money grab?
    What are you willing to pay me for saying it?
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I would cancel it, but I use it for the Netflix app. I would just use the Netflix app on the HTPC and save some cash. BUT they added working surround sound to the Netflix app, which is not supported on the PC version. Is surround sound worth it? It's ok. Once I finish the IMDB top 250, I'm cancelling Netflix and XLBA Gold.
    You can also use the Kinect voice support to sit on your ass and browse through media. Honestly the best part of Kinect is the voice commands, they should have just made an xbox that accepts them and I would buy it.
    It's really an Elder Scrolls MMO, set in all of Tamriel, not just Skyrim. But yeah. I'm not opposed to the idea of an MMO, but there's yet to be an MMO that's interesting to me. My feeling about this is a big fat "we'll see."
  • Depends on whether it's a Bethesda game or a case of "We see you have a popular RPG franchise there.".
  • Mite b cool.
  • I'm excited to see how they flesh out the world. If they include Morrowind initially, I'll at least give it a month just so I can re-explore one of my favorite settings ever. However, they're going to have to reinvent the franchise for the online audience (and think of some way to make combat not suck). I'm also terrified of it getting Warcrafted, with lore getting thrown to the side for the sake of over epic-ing the storyline. I hope it never gets to the point where my lone protagonist is killing Bathmadad, Lord and Creator of All Daedras, Dragons, and Robots and Eater of Universes.

Also, if they HAVE to make an MMO, I'd really, really rather it set in the Fallout universe. Seems like there's a lot more potential there.
  • Also, if they HAVE to make an MMO, I'd really, really rather it set in the Fallout universe. Seems like there's a lot more potential there.
    Yup.
  • Also, if they HAVE to make an MMO, I'd really, really rather it set in the Fallout universe. Seems like there's a lot more potential there.
    Yup.
    There is still a legal debacle going on over the rights to the Fallout MMO. Fallen Earth is the closest we will have for a while, not that I recommend playing it
  • I will only wonder how CHIM will come to be in this MMO.
  • Gather all true men (and women) and slay all those filthy pointy-eared monsters and swampdwellers!
  • edited May 2012
    My character will exist for the sole purpose of killing other people's mounts when they are extremely far from cities, and then teleporting away.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Kinda want an Xbox, but I'm really interested in it for exclusive Xbox Live Arcade games, for the most part. Is the 4GB model sufficient for this?
  • Yeah, you can just delete and redownload games as necessary.
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, you can just delete and redownload games as necessary.
    And I won't have to worry about individual games coming close to the 4GB mark?
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited May 2012
    Extremely doubtful. The biggest one I've ever downloaded was (I think) SOTN, and that was *maybe* 500MB.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2012
    Interesting piece of hackerdoodling is getting an empty hard drive case and the right model of hard drive then flashing the relevant information to make it usable on the xbox. You can only do it to sizes currently supported, so no fitting your xbox with a 1TB 3.5 incher.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/25939 or similar
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The Tomb Raider game was some 2 gigs. I'd go for the larger hard drive just to be safe or get an old refurbished 60 gig