This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I fully expect this thing to collect dust, and me to go back to playing my huge pile of unplayed games before long. Hopefully it'll be good for a few weekends of fun w/ friends though.

Nintendo has lost most of its good will with me. It is incredibly frustrating to watch them try to market a new console and not demonstrate any innovative use of their technology. Seems like they worked in a Pacman Vs. knockoff themed around Luigi's Mansion into their Nintendoland package, that's about it. I played the Rayman demo (only one unlocked) in a store and it's use of the pad was, predictably, gimmicky as all hell.

Because you can play without the TV, there is a lot of potential for 4 wii-motes and a gamepad style play, like Johan Sebastian Joust. I'm hoping developers come up with cool ideas for that. I'm able to see the potential for cool no-TV, or 1-vs-many style play, just hoping somebody gets off their ass and makes must-have games based around these gameplay styles.

I don't think it'll be that hard to grab one with proper planning. I bought several Wiis without pre-order during its launch. I have the Nintendo World Store in NYC a stone's throw away, and Toys R Us has deals with Nintendo to get the largest shipments (restocked like clockwork every Sunday) but not many people seem to know that. I plan on trying to get a few consoles this weekend so I can mercilessly scalp them and recoup my money spent on a potential flop of a console.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • It is still a VirtualBoy situation. If you buy one, and it flops, some years from now it will be really cool to have one.
  • No one will make the games that would make the hardware shine: Nintendo doesn't let small or indie developers to even consider developing for it.
  • edited November 2012
    AFAIK it still only supports one Wii-U screen at a time.
    No, that's not right - the Wii-u will support two at once, for any compatible multiplayer game or multi-user application.

Pretty sure I've told you this before.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • AFAIK it still only supports one Wii-U screen at a time.
    No, that's not right - the Wii-u will support two at once, for any compatible multiplayer game or multi-user application.
    2 < 4.
    2 < 4.
    2=3.
  • edited November 2012
    AFAIK it still only supports one Wii-U screen at a time.
    2 < 4.
    I'm sorry, Scott, I think I misread what you said. When I read it, It said "As far as I know, it only supports one." Which isn't correct, it supports two - Not great, but two is still greater than one. That's all I'm saying - you were off slightly. The rest of your statement doesn't really suffer when you have the right number, so you can let this one go.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I have zero confidence that any game on the Wii-U in its first year will surpass the innovation and fun of Four Swords on the GC/GBA.
  • You forgot FF:CC. ^_~
  • You forgot FF:CC. ^_~
    I really, REALLY liked FF:CC. But, I think Four Swords was a better game.

• I'm such a PC gamer at this point, that I look at my pile of AAA wii games I have and haven't played but I don't want to put the effort in actually sitting in front of my TV making sure the controllers have batteries and updating the console... lol.

Though I probably will get a Wii U at some point. Just because other then the N64 and virtual boy I have a perfect run of Nintendo consoles.
  • For me it was a quicker to play game. There was lots of laughs in the game along with easier trolling by beating up your teammates, however holding the bucket in FF:CC to kill your teammates was just as fun.
  • edited November 2012
    Rym even as recently as six years ago would have bought it sight-unseen launch weekend. Rym of today is waiting to see what people say.
    The issue of whether or not the Wii U is any good it's already alienated a large part of it's fanbase with the lackluster support for the Wii is huge. A lot of people who would have bought one immediately are waiting for more first hand information, but everyone is in the same boat. Either interest is going to trickle out slowly, or they are going to generate interest quicker with some outstanding games. They are gonna have to break out the big guns to get their fanbase back.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I'm going to get a Wii U eventually. But not anytime soon.
  • I'm going to get a Wii U eventually. But not anytime soon.
    If somehow the Wii U makes some unexpected magic, I'll get a Wii U Lite. If not, I'll get a Wii U Lite used a decade from now when they are $20.
  • Or at least by that time you will know if you can completely skip over it.
  • No, I'll get a Wii U at about the same time I got a Gamecube. Several weeks before Gamestop stops selling used ones.
  • I'll get Wii-U when Zelda arrives. It's just that simple.

I also expect to play a bit of Brawl at some point.
    2 < 4.
    I'm sorry, Scott, I think I misread what you said. When I read it, It said "As far as I know, it only supports one." Which isn't correct, it supports two - Not great, but two is still greater than one. That's all I'm saying - you were off slightly. The rest of your statement doesn't really suffer when you have the right number, so you can let this one go.
    The support for a second pad isn't expected until at least a year into the console's life, unfortunately, but it is coming. This seems to be a feature they didn't expect people would want, and started working on it after E3 backlash.

• The support for a second pad isn't expected until at least a year into the console's life, unfortunately, but it is coming. This seems to be a feature they didn't expect people would want, and started working on it after E3 backlash.
    How in Sol Invictus' name could they not expect people to want that? One would think they would push support for multiple pads just so they can sell more of them.
  • edited November 2012
    The support for a second pad isn't expected until at least a year into the console's life, unfortunately, but it is coming. This seems to be a feature they didn't expect people would want, and started working on it after E3 backlash.
    Where was that said? There won't likely be any games supporting it right off the bat, but I'm pretty sure it'll support two pads right from the start. Also, they're not selling them standalone in the US until later, but if you can get a hold of the controller, it'll still work just fine. Otherwise, why would they be selling extra gamepads at Launch in Japan?

Post edited by Churba on
  • Is there really a difference? The "games won't use a second pad during the first year" thing was reported all over the place. To me, that means the second pad is useless, so who cares whether it is technically supported or not.

If I'm not using it for a game, what exactly do I want to be doing with this second Wii U pad? Watching Netflix?
  • If the second pad isn't being used, then what's the point of having them at all? I predict no games will use these pads effectively ever.
  • I remember getting excited when I heard that Colonial Marines was going to have the pad be the screen from your motion tracker, while you controlled the gun and movement in more traditional ways. That way you could move the screen around to see if there was any motion around you, but have to balance it with movement and aiming.

Goddamn that was a good idea. Too bad that won't happen.
  • I predict that Rym is wrong, and that Nintendo games will actually use it. :-p
  • I predict that Rym is wrong, and that Nintendo games will actually use it. :-p
    They'll use it the way they used waggle or the DS microphone at best.

• It's a very hard bet to take, saying it will NEVER be used effectively, even once. I predict Rym will be wrong because one of his prior statements is also wrong: Nintendo actually is reforming itself to open up more for indie developers. They're adding Unity support with Wii U. They're also allowing developers to use their own networks for online play.

Odds are Nintendo will pull at least one awesome game out of their ass across an entire console generation. If they don't, I'm confident one of the little guys will. There's just too much money on the table.
  • There may be a few games that use it well, but I bet none of them will be as good as Four Swords. Even their new Luigi's Mansion Pac-Man vs. clone seems to be worse than the original Pac-Man vs. There definitely won't be enough good games using it to be worth buying.
  • The Wiimotes relied on waggle because they were shit. Not accurate enough to allow for a competitive test of skill. We got waggle instead. Still one of my big sore spots with Nintendo. We'll only get a waggle scenario if the gamepad turns out to be a shit device as well.

DS microphone, you got me there.
  • I just don't have that confidence in them I once did. It's all too little, too late.

I may well be wrong, but I'm definitely not holding on to any Nintendo stock.