This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Mother 2 coming to Virtual Console! In Japan.
    :O :(
  • THQ going out of business. Ok, whatever. Cheap bundles, but nobody really cared.

Until they realized THQ was making the long awaited South Park: Stick of Truth

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/22/3903622/south-park-studios-objects-thq-stick-of-truth-sale
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah honestly they weren't in a position to sell that as any sort of property. I think the only reason they had it was based on publishing contract with a specific publisher who fully funded the game so it shouldn't be affected by their bankruptcy.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • THQ going out of business. Ok, whatever. Cheap bundles, but nobody really cared.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the reason I don't listen to Scott when it comes to Gamers and the Gaming industry.

Oh yeah, the guys that make the immensely popular Saint's Row series, the Red Faction series, the absolutely beloved Darksiders, the majority of Warhammer 40K games, And Metro 2033 1&2, nobody gave a fuck about that and certainly it wasn't all over the gaming press, until they remembered they were making a South Park game.

What. Rubin, are you fucking high?
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the reason I don't listen to Scott when it comes to Gamers and the Gaming industry.

Oh yeah, the guys that make the immensely popular Saint's Row series, the Red Faction series, the absolutely beloved Darksiders, the majority of Warhammer 40K games, And Metro 2033 1&2, nobody gave a fuck about that and certainly it wasn't all over the gaming press, until they remembered they were making a South Park game.

What. Rubin, are you fucking high?
    Of those games I played maybe 30% of Metro 2033 because someone bought it for me on Steam. It was not so great. Dont' give a shit about those other games. Apparently nobody else did either, or they wouldn't be going out of business.
  • Of those games I played maybe 30% of Metro 2033 because someone bought it for me on Steam. It was not so great. Dont' give a shit about those other games. Apparently nobody else did either, or they wouldn't be going out of business.

• edited January 2013
    They had a couple poor games that didn't sell well and that is enough to fuck up a company in the current market. It doesn't mean their others didn't sell well. Also you only play like... a handful of games constantly, which I would argue is a minority in the gaming community.

EDIT:
    I like this response too.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited January 2013
    Nintendo just went nova.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/wii-u-news-explosion-new-zelda-mario-more

Wind Waker remake in HD, tweaked. Perfected?
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • How many THQ games could really conisdered all time greats? By that I mean a game that anyone will care about in 10 years? 20 years?

None. None games.
  • edited January 2013
    They had a couple poor games that didn't sell well and that is enough to fuck up a company in the current market. It doesn't mean their others didn't sell well. Also you only play like... a handful of games constantly, which I would argue is a minority in the gaming community.
    What really fucked them wasn't that a few games(pretty much just the Red Faction franchise and Darksiders) underperformed, it was that they'd also not too long ago killed their extremely profitable kid's games division, which held a number of extremely lucrative licenses and contracts, including many Disney licenses. THQ AU and Blue Tongue were relatively cheap to run, and they made money hand over fist. If they hadn't killed that division, they'd have been able to laugh off the worst of 2012, and come out swinging.
    How many THQ games could really conisdered all time greats? By that I mean a game that anyone will care about in 10 years? 20 years?

None. None games.
    Oh shut up. Jesus Christ, man, just quit while you're way behind. I know you're never gonna admit you said something stupid and out of touch with reality, but at least you could pipe down instead of trying to salvage your dumbass remarks with more dumbass remarks. You want classics, you mean like how they already have 10 and 20 year old titles that are still talked about? Or maybe you want us to try and predict the future, and then jump on us for predicting the future?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • How many THQ games could really conisdered all time greats? By that I mean a game that anyone will care about in 10 years? 20 years?

None. None games.
    It's not about are their games all time greats or not. It's about are their games good. And I say they are. THQ has good amount of solid games and franchises and it's sad to see them go just because they tried different things on multiple genres and didn't produce some triple-A megahit.

None. None games.
    It's not about are their games all time greats or not. It's about are their games good. And I say they are. THQ has good amount of solid games and franchises and it's sad to see them go just because they tried different things on multiple genres and didn't produce some triple-A megahit.

Exactly.

There were good games on the nes that no one gives a shit about anymore. Did that stop anyone from enjoying them or being bummed out that the companies that made them are gone?
  • edited January 2013
    I would like to effectively take both sides of the argument here and say that I just rolled through THQ's list of published games, and man, that company put out almost entirely shit.

BUT

There are some gems in there. Particularly the N64 wrestling games that AKI developed. Those were so much better than any other wrestling game and I had enough multiplayer fun with them that I'll never forget those days. Then we all stopped caring about wrestling.

They also made Broken Sword and Full Spectrum Warrior, both of which I remember hearing were good and never played.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Company of Heroes was extremely influential in the RTS genre. A lot of their other games were good but nothing too crazy (Red Faction and others)
  • Company of Heroes was probably the biggest step forward in Real Time Strategy since Dune 2. That alone is huge.
  • Is anyone still playing Company of Heroes?
    I will play it at some point. Probably will play Dawn of Wars first, but I own CoH and it's expansions so they are on the list of games to be played.

Yep. Still easy to get a match online. Sequel is coming out soon. My dad plays it literately every single day.
    Yep. Still easy to get a match online. Sequel is coming out soon. My dad plays it literately every single day.
    Interesting.
  • Metro 2033 was enjoyable but far too short. I remember reaching the end and thinking I was halfway through the game. Well, until the game just ended...
    Interesting.
    Have you played this game? You should play this game. It's basically Command and Conquer if all your little guys had brains of their own.
    Interesting.
    Have you played this game? You should play this game. It's basically Command and Conquer if all your little guys had brains of their own.
    I played one of the Dawns of War, which I'm pretty sure is the same engine. It was nice how you just controlled a squad of dudes, and you could get them to do intelligent things. The highlight seemed to be how there were so many ways to take cover. I also liked the goal of capturing points. What ruined it was the insane rock paper scissors of choosing the upgrades for your guys as the battle raged on.
  • Sega, also owners of of Creative Assembly, looks like they're going to purchase Relic.

Dawn of Total War pls pls pls
    You should play this game. It's basically Command and Conquer if all your little guys had brains of their own and those brains are damaged.
    COH is a shit competitive game but a wonderful fucking around with bros game. Apreche will hate it.
  • edited January 2013
    Is anyone still playing Company of Heroes?
    How many THQ games could really conisdered all time greats? By that I mean a game that anyone will care about in 10 years? 20 years?
    I'd say that Company of Heroes qualifies in that regard. It has already been around for more than 6 years, and when I checked a moment ago it was still in the top 100 games currently being played.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It's pretty cool when you come across a game community that exists mostly off your radar. It's also good when you talk to someone who's sphere of games is completely different to your own.

It's ok to not know about things.
  • I know this hasn't come up much in the forum, but I feel like I have to comment on it.

DmC: Devil May Cry might have the WORST writing I've ever seen in a fucking video game. And it's also a splotch towards referring to video games as art. It is so bad, messy, unfocused, and is the worst kind of pseudo-satire mixed with gory, juvenile plot twists. The Dark Knight Strikes Again of Video Games, I dare say.
  • A lot of THQ games were beloved by gaming circles of the internet that people on this forum are likely to frequent. Case in point: check out how many friggin' "ONLY IN SAINTS ROW 3 AMIRITE?" posts continue to be on /r/gaming. Their games were solid, pretty popular on Steam, and they bought the entire internet's commendation with the THQ Humble Bundle. If you look through their history, they were once a blatant shovelware company, but if you look recently, they did take some risks and make some interesting IP's as a result.

Anyone who is really making a big deal out of the bankruptcy is actually shocked by a disruption in their bubble community. Despite the titles that everyone loved, a majority of THQ's money came from yearly WWE titles. The cash cow died (especially after the rise of MMA), and THQ's other licensed stuff underperformed.
  • edited January 2013
    The best thing about THQ was Relic Entertainment, though some of their best stuff was made before they were bought by THQ.

I didn't even know the name of any of the other companies that were THQ's wing until I looked around just now, but I've known about Relic for a while.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I think the wrestling games aren't selling because this is the last good one.

• Now that's a fine troll, but simply not true. As I said before, those N64 wrestlers were classics. I can't speak to THQ's modern wrestling games though. Never played one (and no real interest).