This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• I'm done with Street pads forever. I don't even carry my DS anymore at cons.
  • MATATAT said:

At one of the millions of coffee shops available, where the stereotype of person sitting with their laptop is all too true.

Far be it from me to engage in stereotyping, but it IS Seattle.
  • Apreche said:
    Interplay actually licensed the IP to Descendent Studios for this Kickstarter. I wouldn't be surprised if they got the IP in full.
  • But that game looks like garbage and Overload is the real deal.
  • I just want Volition to get Freespace. I've been waiting for Freespace 3 since they got bought by THQ.
  • I've been thinking after the previous StarFox conversation, why has no one made a spiritual successor to StarFox 64? I might look into that. If anybody has any input along the lines of what makes that game good vs what stuff doesn't work, I'd be interested to hear it. My thoughts thus far:
    • Tight controls (seriously how did they make that abomination the n64 called an analog stick work well.)
    • Branching pathways gave the game a lot of replay value.
    • Direct competition multiplayer (could be done online now)
    • 4 player co-op could be added, not sure if that would work well with the flow of the game, but worth looking into.
    • Story full of silly space melancholy.
  • I've been thinking after the previous StarFox conversation, why has no one made a spiritual successor to StarFox 64? I might look into that. If anybody has any input along the lines of what makes that game good vs what stuff doesn't work, I'd be interested to hear it. My thoughts thus far:

• Tight controls (seriously how did they make that abomination the n64 called an analog stick work well.)
    • 4 player co-op could be added, not sure if that would work well with the flow of the game, but worth looking into.
    I would say an on rail shooter will allow you to craft the environment and fights to be more dramatic, maybe a less linear path an more of a travel to location when the indicator is open to have the sense you are stopping the big bad in a universe.
  • Coldguy said:

I've been thinking after the previous StarFox conversation, why has no one made a spiritual successor to StarFox 64? I might look into that. If anybody has any input along the lines of what makes that game good vs what stuff doesn't work, I'd be interested to hear it. My thoughts thus far:

I would say an on rail shooter will allow you to craft the environment and fights to be more dramatic, maybe a less linear path an more of a travel to location when the indicator is open to have the sense you are stopping the big bad in a universe.
    So split the paths more inside the levels too?
  • Coldguy said:

I've been thinking after the previous StarFox conversation, why has no one made a spiritual successor to StarFox 64? I might look into that. If anybody has any input along the lines of what makes that game good vs what stuff doesn't work, I'd be interested to hear it. My thoughts thus far:

That would work but I am thinking of a hex grid where you need to go and stop known issues from the big bad. Logically it is the split paths but you are presenting it as a giant circle with dots you need to hit at certain intervals.

Can't stop the attack fast enough? Big bad blows up the planet or city and you need to do a rescue mission. Get intel of their next attack? Get there before they arrive and stop them before causing harm. Fake intel? "Its a trap" go free range mode and protect your main ship.
  • Coldguy said:

Coldguy said:

That would work but I am thinking of a hex grid where you need to go and stop known issues from the big bad. Logically it is the split paths but you are presenting it as a giant circle with dots you need to hit at certain intervals.

Can't stop the attack fast enough? Big bad blows up the planet or city and you need to do a rescue mission. Get intel of their next attack? Get there before they arrive and stop them before causing harm. Fake intel? "Its a trap" go free range mode and protect your main ship.
    That's an interesting idea. Having it on a Hex grid causes, at least from my diagramming, may lead to disorientation. That being said you could fix that with good landscape design or you just embrace it and adjust difficulty so that it also becomes a bit of a maze.
  • http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/20/12986612/pokemon-nintendo-nx

Huh, so the console/handheld hybrid thing actually has traction? who would've thought?
  • Pokémon games on a Nintendo system? That's unthinkable!
  • I wonder if there'll be a new zapper or Wii accessories will still be compatible.

• So on one hand, super excited the game is getting a reboot, hopefully there will be actual non shit netcode and I get to dominate in this one as well. Too bad the new art style looks like garbage.
  • Elite Dangerous and the Horizons season are 33% off in steam right now. If you like flying about in spess, definitely worth the cash.
  • For those who are on the humble monthly bundle, Stardew Valley is coming your way this month.
  • edited October 2016
    Red Dead Redemption TWOOOOOOOOOO!!! YEAH BOI-EEE! Hope there will be much more variety in things to do and much more nuance to the narrative.

Also, they better bring it to the PC.

Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Daikun said:
    So, I guess, if someone offers you voice work on a video game, check which employer and you'd better not cross that picket line.
  • edited October 2016
    I am getting a good laugh out of the video game sites that are bitching about Bethesda's new one day before launch policy for review copies. "Without us getting review copies early, how will you know what to buy?!?!" Seems to be a common refrain.

Seriously, this is Bethesda. We already know that any open world game (Elder Scrolls/Fallout) is going to be super buggy. Quests will be broken. Yada, yada, yada...

PC is the main platform for those games because modders will eventually fix them. Though, with the release of console mods Bethesda is clearly trying to rein in the modders. Why they chose to block achievements on Steam if you use any mods is infuriating.

Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Why are you deciding what to buy based on reviews? You just make all your purchasing decisions based on what video game "journalists" tell you?
  • Apreche said:

Why are you deciding what to buy based on reviews? You just make all your purchasing decisions based on what video game "journalists" tell you?

I don't but the reviewers think most people do. The last time I let someone's review of a game influence me was Wario Ware Smooth Moves...
  • I'm kinda a little column A little column B. Basically I base my purchasing decision on, developer and whatever good will they may have, but in cases where that's not enough I have to turn to game play footage, most commonly in the form of reviews. I give 0 weight to any like numerical status the reviewer gives or shit like, this is awesome. But I do rely on them for stuff like descriptions of mechanics not shown or difficult to show.

Example: In shadows of mordor, there was a mechanic where you could enslave rival orcs and make them on your side. One of my favourite mechanics is basically that, taking your shit and making it mine, however shadows of mordor it wasn't quite the kind that scratches my itch, I prefer full control whereas in that game they were treated like resources or pets. I wouldn't have known that had I gone from gameplay footage alone, I did need a reviewer to explain the nuance. I did not need a reviewer to tell me how I should feel about the game.
  • There's a lot of games that score well that I just couldn't get into. MGS5 and Shadow of Mordor are a couple that I can think of in recent memory. But I do listen to some of the Giant Bomb people if I'm on the fence about a game. Usually because they show video of a game where they try to capture the general beats of a game while explaining it, but also because I've been following the same people enough to know that I tend to side with Jeff on his likes and dislikes. It's not always 100% accurate, but I can use it as a gauge along with other information.
  • Daikun said:

[image]

Burn the fucking scabs.