This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• I saw someone point out that the name is a little unfortunate when you think of the amazon rainforest. That's about all the commentary I got.
  • I might reinstall, but hopes aren't high. There's no community here and servers are always empty, and unless they made some absurd improvement to the netcode, it'll be unplayable otherwise.
  • I was geeking out a bit about Lumberyard last night because I like the idea that it's something I could learn to develop assets that can be put into the engine, and maybe learn enough basic script and interface stuff to make, if not game prototypes, at least use as a 3D environment for mockups of game ideas? I had thought of doing it with Unreal or Unity, but maybe Lumberyard has merit.

I wonder if something like this also would be good for product development, in terms of being able to level-edit some outdoors type sets and put 3D models of your design into the space and not have to worry about a lot of foundation stuff

For example I could spend a lot of time and energy if I was a professional 3d graphic artist to make some kind of island scene with airplanes flying over and showing our concept aircraft flying overhead with the waves splashing and all that, but I imagine that with very basic interaction with something like Lumberyard and some basic machinima-style recording, I could get 90% of that quality for 90% less effort. Now maybe, maybe there are tools that are better suited to this that I don't know about, but I 'get' the idea of stuffing assets into an engine and I get recording real-time graphics processing. For concept work, when you just want to convey an idea to clients or what-not, you don't need hollywood level photoreal 3D CGI that would go into the latest Audi commercial. So for someone trying to pitch an idea I could see this being great.

Before, if I was a product designer, I'm not gonna go buy a game engine to use. But if it's free and kept up to date, I feel much more confident using it as a tool in my workflow.
  • edited March 2016
    Coldguy said:

So people are reporting about a new coleco system, almost all of them can't read....

Welcome to rebranding of an indie gogo failure.

Exposed as a sham.

Post edited by Daikun on
  • Best game teaser?

(Harvest Moonesque PC game)

Shit...
  • Daikun said:
    Reportedly, David Braben of Frontier(The Elite Dangerous studio) has already reached out to ex-lionhead devs, pointing out that they're hiring, and all but saying "Yeah, you're in if you want to be."
  • Fable was a failure since Fable 3. Thank you Peter Molyneux. The studio wasn't doing any better without him. Surprised they didn't just close they studio way back then.
  • New, from the makers of "Jesus shit, it's 2 AM" comes:

a.k.a. "Minecraft but...blended with Space Chem"
  • Holy Jesus, that looks amazing and time devouring.
  • Vinny playing it made it sound pretty good.
  • I've ordered plenty of foreign Amazon items to get German board games (and, I will admit, Amiibo before the bubble bust). I wonder if Amazon Japan will actually have much use, as there are so many shops that have that import market locked down.

I'll have to look into it for obscure Japanese tabletop games, as that market is rising fast.
  • edited March 2016
    Man, both Starview Valley and Factorio look like they could eat up much of my time. I just got Rune Factory 4 and I've already put more hours into it than I care to admit and those two games look like RF4 on steroids.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • belkalra said:

a.k.a. "Minecraft but...blended with Space Chem"

Holy Jesus, that looks amazing and time devouring.

I'm not getting anywhere near that game.
  • Can I get Gundams from Amazon Japan? Will it ship faster/cheaper/more reliably than hlj.com? Will I get points on my US Amazon credit card?
  • I'm sure there are plenty of models up on Amazon. Cost is a crapshoot, and likely depends on shipping. I wonder if you can set up Camelcamelcamel for foreign product pages, since Amazon has crazy discounts sometimes. Don't care about the points aspect since I'm sticking with cash back cards.
  • With strong US dollars, is it worth it to buy things from foreign countries and pay for shipping?
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris?
  • In a grander sense... no it's probably not worth it. You could put your dollar to use doing Other Things and get more bang for your buck. Unless you've talked yourself into a nerd whole and you really want that cool obscure thing.

Video games would be big news on Amazon.jp if there wasn't already an amazing infrastructure of shops that import all this crap for you. That's definitely the case for video games, and as Scott pointed out, hobby models as well.
  • The main thing I want from Japan these days are arcade machines, which are too expensive anyway. I understand not giving us Gundam pods. Give us Star Wars pod!
  • Matt said:

I'll have to look into it for obscure Japanese tabletop games, as that market is rising fast.

Here's what I found on Amazon.co.jp:
    • King of Frontier
    • Age of Craft (but only through a third party seller who won't ship internationally... was hoping to take a crack at it before it gets redesigned into Colony later this year)
    • Machi Koro (in its original little box)
    • Several Oink games (Deep Sea Adventure, maskmen, TROLL, In a Grove, Rights, A Fake Artist Goes to New York)
    Here's some games that aren't available:
    • Any of Kenichi Tanabe's games (Inotaizu, Guild, Portao para o mundo, Lisboa)
    • The more popular OKAZU brand games that haven't been republished by AEG (Minerva, Rolling Japan)
    It's another place to check after TGM, and I'll be looking there alongside the BGG store and other online stores like funagain games that take chances on imports.

Check out:
    Traders of Osaka - domestic reprint of Traders of Carthage. Designed by Susumu Kawasaki (R-Eco)
    Minerva - still on the BGG store and funagain. Designed by Hisashi Hiyashi (Trains, Sail to India, Rolling Japan)
    All of the Oink games - they're just on regular Amazon.com right now. Also the BGG store.
  • Apreche said:

The main thing I want from Japan these days are arcade machines, which are too expensive anyway. I understand not giving us Gundam pods. Give us Star Wars pod!

I would be willing to take just the good console Gundam games.
  • Apreche said:

The main thing I want from Japan these days are arcade machines, which are too expensive anyway. I understand not giving us Gundam pods. Give us Star Wars pod!

have you seen the Kawaii-cade Kickstarter?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/285735197/kawaii-cade-japanese-style-bartop-arcade-cabinets
  • Shame there's nowhere to put that in my apartment.
  • Nintendo was the first customer to license "free form" shaped LCD technology from Sharp. Rumors started back in 2014 that this was their next gen product.
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7406585/nintendo-said-to-use-sharp-free-form-displays

Then at the end of last year, they filed a patent for this controller:

Looks legit to me.

Now the question is whether the prophecy of the One True Nintendo Hybrid Console will come to pass. I assume that you can take this controller on the go, that it has handheld console guts capable of hosting most games. Then, bring it home, dock it in with a more powerful GPU connected to your TV, and play some hi-res games (and backwards compatible Wii U discs) with a controller.