This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Looks like a hand cramp waiting to happen.
  • If everyone has one of these things we can finally revive the 4Swords/Crystal Chronicles genre of public/private info in local multiplayer. Literally any game where players have a hand of cards. Just do it!
  • What's wrong with the 3DS? The size? Why not resurrect the Micro GBA with a new screen, battery and wifi.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Looks like a hand cramp waiting to happen.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Fuck that shit.

I'm not really sure where they're going with this thing. It sort of just looks like a shitty Vita.
  • Dazzle369 said:

People said the same thing about the N64 controller and the GameCube controller. Nowadays you'll only get a GameCube controller out of a Smash Bros. cold dead hands.
  • Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

People said the same thing about the N64 controller and the GameCube controller. Nowadays you'll only get a GameCube controller out of a Smash Bros. cold dead hands.
    Huh, I didn't realize people were saying that. The thing is though those controllers have palm supports (as do most controllers). I find myself struggling with this on the 3DS sometimes because it's top heavy and the edges end up digging into my palms which can cause some strain. I end up having to adjust my grip on it to give more palm support.

The Vita gets this sometimes too but is generally designed in a much better fashion (primarily not being top heavy) but it still fairly small.

This thing has like no support. Granted if it's super light it might not be that big of an issue. Think about holding your phone sidesways with two hands. But usually it's the sticks in my opinion that end up causing you to strain.

It really just seems like they're trying to make a Vita though.
  • The NES controller had no support.
    The SNES controller had no support.

Both are still considered fantastic controllers.
  • edited March 2016
    Rym said:

The NES controller had no support.
    The SNES controller had no support.

Both are still considered fantastic controllers.

Despite having grown up on SNES I disagree, but they also fall into the category of being light.

They also don't have analog sticks.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

I don't think that's a fair argument. I mean, who said that about the N64 controllers really?

I get cramps from the Playstation controller, because it doesn't sit well in my hands. The 360 controller has been the most ergonomically successful gamepad, for my hands. Anything less is a compromise.

So if you're going to compromise and go so small, the last place you want to make space saving is the edge of the device. The places where you most need to hold the device.

You'd have to float the whole thing on your finger tips or have to buy a separate grip to hold it firmly, if you want to use it for more than 5 minutes.
  • If you run a google image search for that patent, the majority of those images actually do include palm supports.

• Dazzle369 said:

Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

I don't think that's a fair argument. I mean, who said that about the N64 controllers really?

I get cramps from the Playstation controller, because it doesn't sit well in my hands. The 360 controller has been the most ergonomically successful gamepad, for my hands. Anything less is a compromise.

So if you're going to compromise and go so small, the last place you want to make space saving is the edge of the device. The places where you most need to hold the device.

You'd have to float the whole thing on your finger tips or have to buy a separate grip to hold it firmly, if you want to use it for more than 5 minutes.
    When the first pictures of the N64 controller were printed in video game magazines, everyone said WTF IS THIS NONSENSE? That's going to destroy all our hands! Obviously they were wrong.

Nintendo not only invented the gamepad, but also every major improvement to the gamepad including the analog stick, the shoulder button, the analog shoulder button, the disc that's on the 3DS and more. They know more about the ergonomics of controllers than you. All you've done is jump to a conclusion after looking at a few photos. Congratulations, you've managed to be just like all the other humans who have repeated their mistakes and failed to learn from history.

I have seen this same exact story play out repeatedly in my life, and I see no reason to believe this time will be any different.
  • I also don't like the way it looks, but I disliked the look of the Wii U Gamepad, and it feels fine. That's also not the final controller. The initial Gamepad looked different and was likely less ergonomic than the one that sits a few feet from me at this very moment.

Ever since I've been old enough to have opinions, I've seen people giving Nintendo shit for their controllers. And it always works. Doesn't mean the consoles stick the landing, but no one's saying the Gamepad is bad *as a controller.* Whether dual-screen gaming on consoles + TV works is a different story, but as a means to control a game? No problems.
  • Apreche said:

When the first pictures of the N64 controller were printed in video game magazines, everyone said WTF IS THIS NONSENSE? That's going to destroy all our hands! Obviously they were wrong.

They were wrong, because whoever said it obviously doesn't have hands.
    Apreche said:

Nintendo not only invented the gamepad, but also every major improvement to the gamepad including the analog stick, the shoulder button, the analog shoulder button, the disc that's on the 3DS and more. They know more about the ergonomics of controllers than you. All you've done is jump to a conclusion after looking at a few photos. Congratulations, you've managed to be just like all the other humans who have repeated their mistakes and failed to learn from history.

@Matt pointed out, the patent even shows an additional grip. Even the DS has the same fault. Any controller that is square is a compromised design. Without question. But it's an acceptable compromise because you have a suffiecient amount of grip, because of it's size and button placement. The DS design still limits how long you can play on a handheld comfortably, but this is matched only by the type of game you play.

The controller you choose usually matches the game you're intended to play. You want something that is comfortable for the duration of the play session.

If you're playing angry birds, you need virtually 0 comfortable for 1 minute of play.

If you're playing smash for 30 minutes or longer, you probably want something like a 360 controller or a fight stick.

For everything in between, in the handheld department, you need to at least something with an edge that fits the length of your palm. Right in that crest of your grip.
  • Hmm, tell me more oh person who has designed so many controllers. Send your resume to Nintendo since you seem to think you know better than all of them. They'll hire you right away for your genius insights!
  • I have never had a problem with a Nintendo controller aside from the DS, which after an hour of play will cause my ring and pinky fingers to go completely numb.

On the other hand, most non-Nintendo controllers I have used (see: every PlayStation controller) felt awful.
  • Apreche said:

Hmm, tell me more oh person who has designed so many controllers. Send your resume to Nintendo since you seem to think you know better than all of them. They'll hire you right away for your genius insights!

My genius will be wasted at Nintendo.

Microsoft is a company that is falling off the cliff and is in need of saving. They're actually more likely to hire me, but their problem actually is less to do with product design and more to do with software and user interface.
  • Matt said:

I have never had a problem with a Nintendo controller aside from the DS, which after an hour of play will cause my ring and pinky fingers to go completely numb.

Similar, except with the 3ds. I struggle to hold it comfortably for any period of time. It's just not the right size for my hands.

• All the images are confirmed fake. The really convincing one is actually manufactured and not Photoshop! Mad props to those frauds. Great job!
  • Man, Elite Dangerous is SUPER pretty.

• Its nice to know the Internet does the same things that I have done in the past in Making a farm from a grid

My master plan v1.0
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:
    US company fails to understand how law works and encounters a Government that upholds its laws.
    The comments on the US kotaku article are pretty awful, too. Lots of "Yeah, well you deserve it, you bought it on yourself, it's all your fault". Not to valve, of course, but to Australian gamers. Lots of people saying "well valve should just stop selling there." Which is pretty much exactly the expected response, that's what gets said every time something like this happens.
  • I'm amused by the weirdness surrounding Rust and the gender/race assignment. I remember this coming up previously with the penis size and people being upset they have a small dick.
  • MATATAT said:

I remember this coming up previously with the penis size and people being upset they have a small dick.

That's the real reason for most gamergators.
  • MATATAT said:

I'm amused by the weirdness surrounding Rust and the gender/race assignment. I remember this coming up previously with the penis size and people being upset they have a small dick.

I was confused because I didn't think the programming language would feel weird around different races or genders unless it used some weirdly offensive syntax. Then I realised there is a game with the same name. Also a chemical reaction.
  • edited April 2016
    The only syntax I find offensive either lolcode or "like, python". <- edited to actually make sense

In other news I got my copy of the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack. And it is fantastic.
    Post edited by MATATAT on