This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• Just watched tre PAX east 2011 video. What is the male/female ratio of an average PAX?
    Mostly dudes, but more girls than typical gaming conventions. Maybe about the same as RIT?
  • Bolt Bus Tickets have been purchased, I am in group B. However the only bad thing about it, the bus heading to Boston leaves at 6:45 AM. Looks like I am going to be walking to the station at 5 AM...
  • Just watched tre PAX east 2011 video. What is the male/female ratio of an average PAX?
    Doesn't matter. Don't waste valuable PAX time hooking up with total strangers when you could be playing games with them instead!

• The ratio is soemthing like 69 women for every 420 men.
    Doesn't matter. Don't waste valuable PAX time hooking up with total strangers when you could be playing games with them instead!

To be fair to Luke, he's probably just trying to determine how hard he would have to work to avoid forming a harem.

• PAX has a large female contingent, but they're definitely the minority. I'm guessing something like 70/30 or 60/40.

I suppose one could analyze that tabletop sweep I have and make a better guess.
  • edited March 2012
    I'd lean to 70/30 more. Also, I think it has the problem I've noticed with other predominately male events that the girls that attend are not single for the most part.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Well, it is a target-rich environment for us. We get a pretty good selection of nerdy boys to choose from. It's hard not to find SOMETHING suitable.
  • Nuri, if we were single, we'd make out like bandits. :P

But yes, I was thinking a 2.5:1 or 3:1 ratio of guys to girls. It's March. A little over than a month. OMIGOSH, OMIGOSH, OMIGOSH. I am so excited to see you guys again. I miss you guys. :(
  • Well, it is a target-rich environment for us. We get a pretty good selection of nerdy boys to choose from. It's hard not to find SOMETHING suitable.
    Should we wear targets on our backs?
    And you've both also proved my point. :P
  • edited March 2012
    PAX East is going to be streamed this is to make the people who were not smart be able to be slightly intelligent.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • PAX East is going to be streamed this is to make the people who were not smart be able to be slightly intelligent.
    They will stream "select panels & sessions." Y U NO STREAM ALL?
  • PAX East is going to be streamed this is to make the people who were not smart be able to be slightly intelligent.
    I imagine they will mostly stream stuff from game companies and their events.
    In other words, the crap.
    Just the two of you? XD

Thing is, if pony girls at MAGFest are any indication, I'm in the same boat you are on the other side of the fence!

I guess we should all make out.

Yeah, they added an option to note if you were willing to allow them to stream your events.

We'll be videoing ours regardless of the stream status.
    In other words, the crap.
    Maybe in the future this will keep some of the people only interested in the crap from buying up badges?

• I think it has to do more the the economics of the idea of streaming the entire event. Either JTV/Twitch or PAX does not want to pull enough money to cover the entire thing. Although the subscription for a PPV for a Expo is a tad...off in my opinion.
  • I think it has to do more the the economics of the idea of streaming the entire event. Either JTV/Twitch or PAX does not want to pull enough money to cover the entire thing. Although the subscription for a PPV for a Expo is a tad...off in my opinion.
    It's way off.

Also, the cost of streaming the whole thing is very minimal. Twitch TV will let me stream whatever I want for free, right? The convention center, oddly enough, had Internets in the panel rooms last time we were there. The Enforcers offered us an Ethernet cable we didn't need. They were already paying for the Internets, so it's not an increased cost. The only cost is to have one camera and one laptop in each panel room. It doesn't even really need to be manned. There aren't that many rooms, so even if they were manned, the cost is still not large.
  • I am pretty gorram excite.

Hey Rym, are we on for Advance Wars at the con? You are I are in similar boats of being too good at the game for any of our friends to play us.
  • I agree, the fact that is ISN'T streamed 100% is an insult. It would not be that hard for the panels and maybe Jamspace. You might need someone to man a tabletop or console area with editing between games that would appear interesting to watch. Heck have each room be its own channel and simply navigate which one you want to go to.
    Just the two of you? XD

I guess we should all make out.
    I propose we wear bandannas over the lower-half of out faces and make out like REAL BANDITS at PAX.

Also, not being single does not mean not being able to hook up. You just gotta play your cards right. Amirite, open relationship people? ;D

The boys don't know what to do with me when I am feeling flirty. It's funny when they go up to Pete and are all, "Dude, I think your girlfriend is hitting on me. Is that... okay?"

• I agree, the fact that is ISN'T streamed 100% is an insult. It would not be that hard for the panels and maybe Jamspace. You might need someone to man a tabletop or console area with editing between games that would appear interesting to watch. Heck have each room be its own channel and simply navigate which one you want to go to.
    I would say PAX is a for-profit con, and there is no current reason for them to stream their content online for free because it doesn't give them any more money. It probably wouldn't hurt attendance; I think they wold still sell out of badges even with the online streaming because so much of the PAX experience is being there in person. The streaming could only drum up more customers for future years, and would not hurt their profits, but until they have the capability to sell more 3-day badges, they really don't need the advertising.

• edited March 2012
    I propose we wear bandannas over the lower-half of out faces and make out like REAL BANDITS at PAX.

Also, not being single does not mean not being able to hook up. You just gotta play your cards right. Amirite, open relationship people? ;D

The boys don't know what to do with me when I am feeling flirty. It's funny when they go up to Pete and are all, "Dude, I think your girlfriend is hitting on me. Is that... okay?"
    I'm down for this. Jeremy is weirded out because I can get really open and honest and not think much of it because I'm like that, where he's a bit of the opposite. He always gets a bit shy because he doesn't know everyone like I do. So please be gentle with him. Poor guy.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    I would say PAX is a for-profit con, and there is no current reason for them to stream their content online for free because it doesn't give them any more money. It probably wouldn't hurt attendance; I think they wold still sell out of badges even with the online streaming because so much of the PAX experience is being there in person. The streaming could only drum up more customers for future years, and would not hurt their profits, but until they have the capability to sell more 3-day badges, they really don't need the advertising.

I agree, if they want to maximize profits then have the streams be littered by adds when nothing is going on. Plus you get people to pay in for additional content. For example the main events stuff is free with ads but with the subscription you can get all of the panels.
  • It only makes them more moneys to stream since they make money from the streaming deal itself. Twitch.tv makes money from people subscribing and/or seeing ads. PAX gets a cut of that for providing the content. Even if they stream our lowly panel, there will be a handful of people who will want to watch it and it will make a small amount of moneys.
  • I'd just like to throw out there that I'm like 483% in favor of Nuri and Ro making out.