This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• I don't have a vest. Vests are hard to find. I'm thinking at least a 3 piece suit rather than a 5 piece suit.

So:

Button-down shirt, preferably single color
    Tie
    Pants
    Jacket

Does that sound good? I'll probably go suit shopping this weekend. It might end up being a linen or seersucker suit.
  • I spot a wild Chie on the Money Making panel...
    Free badge!
    Oh shits. Should I tell Chase and Karl to pack fine hats for an evening of drinks?
    Suit up for PAX? I could do that.
    I love all of you. It needs not be said that I'm 326% in favor of this.

It actually reminds me a bit of my old High School friends. We used to dress up and have LAN parties on Saturday. Every week.
    Y U NO marry the girl on the far right?
  • edited March 2012
    I own both a suit jacket and a topcoat. I'll be the classiest motherfucker in the room.

But I lack a suitable hat. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

EDIT: Option 2 is to dress up like a Viking. I have a suitable hat for that.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited March 2012
    Anyone going to arrive in the afternoon on Thursday? I will be free for the entire day and looking for people to hang out, outside of the indie game party that evening.
    Indie game party, you say?
    Eeyup. Use code PAXMA to get in for free.

You all are going to force me to lug my suit up to Boston aren't you?
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I need to look through the events list with more detail, but so-far pretty meh.
  • edited March 2012
    I spot a wild Chie on the Money Making panel...
    Free badge!
    Oh shits. Should I tell Chase and Karl to pack fine hats for an evening of drinks?

It actually reminds me a bit of my old High School friends. We used to dress up and have LAN parties on Saturday. Every week.
    picture
    I'm pretty sure he was probably afraid of being sliced in half :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited March 2012
    I need to look through the events list with more detail, but so-far pretty meh.
    I agree, I am now not fooled into the fool's gold of the panel selection. The majority of them are you need to be X fan to enjoy this to hey we are going to talk about something so let's open it up to questions and not present anything.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I own both a suit jacket and a topcoat. I'll be the classiest motherfucker in the room.

Business Viking?

I'm going to need to ask my shift manager whether I can get away with wearing a suit on shift. Or find some way to change very quickly.
  • Business Viking?
    Killing is my business...and business is good.

• I'm anxiously waiting for when we get to pick what department to work under. I want to make sure I get my first or second choice this year...
  • edited March 2012
    I own both a suit jacket and a topcoat. I'll be the classiest motherfucker in the room.

Do both. Pax is more than one day. Also, buy a hat.

I kind of want a pinstripe fedora now.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • I'll have to leave the knives at home. I doubt PAX would approve of knives all hanging off my belt.
  • I need to look through the events list with more detail, but so-far pretty meh.
    I agree, I am now not fooled into the fool's gold of the panel selection. The majority of them are you need to be X fan to enjoy this to hey we are going to talk about something so let's open it up to questions and not present anything.
    Yeap. I love PAX, but most PAX panels are pretty crap. If the presenters open up to questions within the first five minutes, it's game over.
  • Nuri, I'm doing online shopping now. I was paying down my store credit card. I blame and love you. It's ok though, because the original $60 pants are on sale for $20. So it's all gravy.
  • There are fine suit shops in Charleston. I think I might go to one of them and just look the oldest man in the business square in the eye and say "Sir, I need the finest suit you have."
  • I spot a wild Chie on the Money Making panel...
    Free badge!

picture
    I'm pretty sure he was probably afraid of being sliced in half :-p
    Worth it.
  • Hm. Which hat to get? Derby? Bowler? Fedora? Top hat?

Scratch the top hat. I haven't got the stuff to pull that off. A monocle and cane are the bare minimum.
  • Fedoras are usually a good choice.
  • I'll have a suit or two with me for sure. Thinking about buying a nice cane. I haven't carried a cane in a long time, and I thoroughly enjoy doing so.
  • I think instead of hat, I may just knit/crochet a cute headband to match my top.
    Yeap. I love PAX, but most PAX panels are pretty crap. If the presenters open up to questions within the first five minutes, it's game over.
    You would think that of all places PAX could demand some QC to the panels to ensure none of them suck. Sure as a presenter it would require a lot more time and effort, but PAX can simply use their clout to go and ensure all the BS panels are gone.
    I'm extra meh on all the "indy game", "dev", and "job" panels. First there's an issue of having way too many of them. Then when talking about those subjects you have to realize what you can do with a crowd of anonymous (mostly under informed) people in only an hour.
  • I think instead of hat, I may just knit/crochet a cute headband to match my top.
    Um, KNIT A FEDORA.

• Nuri, I'm doing online shopping now. I was paying down my store credit card. I blame and love you. It's ok though, because the original $60 pants are on sale for $20. So it's all gravy.
    Just remember, it's not saving money if you're buying something you wouldn't have bought otherwise, even if it IS on sale. :P

• edited March 2012
    I think instead of hat, I may just knit/crochet a cute headband to match my top.
    Um, KNIT A FEDORA.
    I have BIG head, hats don't look good on me unless it's a slouchy beanie hat. I already have my outfit picked out from online and the store is holding it for me.

@Nuri, I really do need dressy clothes just in case I get another job I applied for.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    Um, KNIT A FEDORA.
    Challenge accepted. You now have me trying to think of a way to get fedora structure with knitting. If I pull that off, I will sell all the patterns ever.

• edited March 2012
    Interestingly enough, she was my high-school girlfriend. We broke up when she went to UCLA and I went to RIT. Sigh.

I am also going to bring my walking stick. I lost my old one last year at a cafe in K-Town, but I think the new one is a fine improvement.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
    Um, KNIT A FEDORA.
    Challenge accepted. You now have me trying to think of a way to get fedora structure with knitting. If I pull that off, I will sell all the patterns ever.
    Would a naalbound item be a little more rigid? I'm thinking of Aoife's socks - they seem to retain their shape very well.

Or you could use spray starch or something like that.
  • There are already a few crochet fedora patterns. My goal would be to figure out a way to do it well with knitting.
  • Interestingly enough, she was my high-school girlfriend. We broke up when she went to UCLA and I went to RIT. Sigh.

I am also going to bring my walking stick. I lost my old one last year at a cafe in K-Town, but I think the new one is a fine improvement.
    Sounds even more like a winner. I knew a lot of people who went to RIT only because they were following a significant other. None of them graduated.