This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• Has anyone done the math on the likelihood of the civilians losing/winning Mafia given 100% random decisions?
    I'd be happy to do it later if no one else has.
    If you want me to do the math, specify the ruleset you want me to analyse.
    The system started out like this:

1. During the day, the civilians decide on a person that the Detective will investigate at night. That person is also protected by the Sherif. This is done before lynching.

2. The first night, the citizens kill someone arbitrarily. After that, you use the gleaned information to make progressively more educated choices. This must always happen second. You MUST kill the person.

Really, it's just a way to get reliable, controlled behavior, and to minimize the impact of extraneous variables.

Except when ANDREW COCKS IT UP.

And also, fuck all y'all, I love my hat.
  • HOW DID I COCK IT UP!? I always investigated the correct person.
  • HOW DID I COCK IT UP!? I always investigated the correct person.
    Oh yeah, how did captain "Hurr durr I'm going to protect myself instead of other people" cock it up? GEE I WONDER.

Obviously, you should all just listen to the guy in the hat.
  • edited April 2012
    If everyone believes that the sheriff is going to protect the person being investigated and the mafia believe that the sheriff isn't stupid, then they aren't going to try and kill that person. Protecting oneself prevents you from getting knocked out early...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • It was also clearly Andrew's fault when Chie failed to protect Phil, who turned out to be the detective. the DEAD detective once Andrew got done with him!!!
  • It was also clearly Andrew's fault when Chie failed to protect Phil, who turned out to be the detective. the DEAD detective once Andrew got done with him!!!
    EXACTLY!

• I love this game.
  • I love this game.
    It's so fun to watch the crew play this. They try to solve any game they ever play, but this game is pretty much unsolvable. They try so hard, it's fascinating. ^_^
  • Tho
    I love this game.
    It's so fun to watch the crew play this. They try to solve any game they ever play, but this game is pretty much unsolvable. They try so hard, it's fascinating. ^_^
    Well, part of the game is misdirection, so attempting to solve the game is sometimes mafia just being sneaky ^_^
  • The game is excellent at showing a very important principle.

All games are solvable, arbitrary, or random. But in reality, humans and their human bullshit get in the way of that. ;^)
    EXACTLY!

Especially since he failed to target someone else on the assumption that I *would* protect Phil.
  • edited April 2012
    The game is excellent at showing a very important principle.

All games are solvable, arbitrary, or random. But in reality, humans and their human bullshit get in the way of that. ;^)
    Exactly. For example if I'm the psycho killer I'm gonna kill whoever accuses me, because fuck them I'm dead either way. It doesn't help anyone win.
    Post edited by George Patches on

Exactly. For example if I'm the psycho killer I'm gonna kill whoever accuses me, because fuck them I'm dead either way. It doesn't help anyone win.
    I only psycho kill if I'm confident my accuser is in the mafia.

I only psycho kill if I'm confident my accuser is in the mafia.
    That's cause you're a robot.
  • edited April 2012
    I suspect the (game-theoretically) correct strategy is to always psycho kill.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Today's PA is great. I'm pretty sure I was next to the table Luke Crane was showing Gabe and his friends Mouse Guard on Saturday. They all seemed to be having fun.
  • I gave them a copy of Mouse Guard when it was first published, in person, at NYCC a long time ago. I spoke with them for several minutes on it.

I wonder if they even still have the book or had forgotten about it. ;^)
  • Pax sent out emails with surveys that reveal next year's dates, March 22-24. I look forward to seeing you all there and at Anime Boston a couple weeks later.
  • ugh those dates SUCK ass for some other events in my life. Maybe I'll go to PAX prime in 2013 instead.
  • ugh those dates SUCK ass for some other events in my life. Maybe I'll go to PAX prime in 2013 instead.
    Nooo. Mafia won't be the same without you to kill immediately!
  • edited April 2012
    ugh those dates SUCK ass for some other events in my life. Maybe I'll go to PAX prime in 2013 instead.
    It's ok, we can still kill Pete immediately.
    Ah yes. Carry on, then.
  • edited April 2012
    ugh those dates SUCK ass for some other events in my life. Maybe I'll go to PAX prime in 2013 instead.
    A year out and you already have things planned for that weekend? Damn.
    PRIME!

YAY!

Ah yes. Carry on, then.
    :(

Ah yes. Carry on, then.
    Personally I find watching far more entertaining than playing.
    Ah yes. Carry on, then.
    Kinky.

Ah yes. Carry on, then.
    Kinky.
    Quite