This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• I'd buy it for roughly $1 to $2, plus shipping, or a free PDF. It depends if you get anyone interesting to do arts for it.
  • Johndis likes him some trolling. To be fair, though, you asked for it:
    So I like where it seems like the industry is going in general, as I want to be attracted to a game by what is on display on the screens and at the booth. Not because of the gravitational pull of large objects.
  • *flips over troll bean card* DAMN
    LOL. Way to bring it full circle there dude. ~_^
  • Fucking Stink Beans. I will get you next time.
  • Here are some basic shout-outs:

@Apreche First person I saw, but we never really got to speak. We'll have to hang out at Prime. The Q&A Book thing went over awesomely.
    @Rym You were extremely friendly and stuff even though we had just met. I appreciated hanging out and playing games Sunday night as well.
    @gomidog Sadly I don't think I faired too well when I took over your hand in Bohnanza. Also awesome to talk to you again since the Pitch a Game Idea thing.
    @highdefinition I still can't believe you're one of the people here. I remembered you as "That Enforcer I talked RPG shop in the Saturday line at the Sheraton at Prime 2010". We'll have to throw down at some table-top something or other soon.
    @Rochelle I think I also remember you from 2010 Prime enforcing IIRC. Also appreciate explaining the details of the carpet tile game thing.
    @TheWhaleShark I wanted to talk to you a bit, but I don't think we were ever really sitting down at the same time.
    @Nuri I don't think we were ever introduced, trust me I wasn't bothered at-all by not being recognized.
    @Viga I think we both have to laugh @ShadowOrc for trying to use me as cover when we both sabotaged your attack on Xykon.
    @Neito Once you've got the rules down on the OOTS completely, let's give that another shot.
    @Andrew You are a likeable person in-person. Also thanks for trying to help teach me about beans.
    @KateMonster I'm sorry I didn't have any Red Beans.
    @Geo Never trust the cleric.

And I'm sure I missed a dozen people, but I forget who was a forum-person and who was not, and I don't necessarily remember every username to every face. I should see a few of you again for Prime.
  • For all the love of Mafia on here, have any of you played The Resistance? For most gamers, it has perfected the formula. The big obvious improvement is that it manages to structure the whole experience in a way that eliminates player elimination, while still remaining awesome.

On the topic of offensiveness, I don't understand how anyone can be offended by boobs and no-pants man when the most popular tabletop game (by far) this past weekend was Cards Against Humanity.
  • "@Andrew you are a likable person in-person" That's about the best compliment I've ever heard ^_^

• I don't think it was an offensive thing but more of a "Hey, we established these rules and you got caught disobeying it and now we're enforcing it."

I'm not offended by booth babes, I just roll my eyes at them because I see them as just a sad thing to pimp a game that's probably not worth checking out.
  • So, if I did put together a print run of a "Stink Bean Mafia" style version of Mafia/Werewolf with all the rules and the proper nouns, how many of you would buy it? I'd sell it at the cost of printing most likely. ;^)
    I'd buy it for roughly $1 to $2, plus shipping, or a free PDF. It depends if you get anyone interesting to do arts for it.
    Arts would be very awesome with all the talent in FRC.
  • So, if I did put together a print run of a "Stink Bean Mafia" style version of Mafia/Werewolf with all the rules and the proper nouns, how many of you would buy it? I'd sell it at the cost of printing most likely. ;^)
    Part of the reason the Beans worked so well is they were already part of another game, so you don't have to carry around a separate game with you.

Specially-printed Mafia-labeled Bohnanza deck = win. Specially printed Mafia deck that can't be used for anything else = eh.

• edited April 2012
    Here are some photos I just uploaded on G+ of the minis that Lyddi, Jeremy, and myself painted.

One of the cooler things that we did at PAX.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Specially-printed Mafia-labeled Bohnanza deck = win. Specially printed Mafia deck that can't be used for anything else = eh.
    This. Also, fuck you guys and your "can you say the names of the cards". I had to keep track of 5 mafia, 3 masons, a sheriff and detective. You can remember what one card means! :P
  • edited April 2012
    It did help that the Blue Bean card looked like a sheriff.

Also PAX pro-tip: reserve your rooms the day they become available. You know we will be posting in the various threads about it when it will be announced.

Pro-tip 2: Arrive early/midday Thursday, leave Monday. You will achieve the maximum amount of PAX time if you can and are able to do this.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • "@Andrew you are a likable person in-person" That's about the best compliment I've ever heard ^_^
    I'm actually unsure how I feel about it...

• I miss being here already.

• I'm actually unsure how I feel about it...
    The person I percieved you to be via text-based intertube communication was different from the person I met, that's all.
  • edited April 2012
    Also PAX pro-tip: reserve your rooms the day they become available. You know we will be posting in the various threads about it when it will be announced.

Pro-tip 2: Arrive early/midday Thursday, leave Monday. You will achieve the maximum amount of PAX time if you can and are able to do this.
    You must do both of these in conjunction. Reserving rooms will not help you if you arrive Friday and they jerk you around for 2 hours before they tell you they have overbooked and you cannot have the rooms you reserved. In fact, this will result in a loss of PAX time while trying to finagle a solution, and further loss of PAX time while you try to drink enough to relax your blinding rage.
    Also, fuck you guys and your "can you say the names of the cards". I had to keep track of 5 mafia, 3 masons, a sheriff and detective. You can remember what one card means! :P
    I feel ya. If you can't remember your role after looking at your card and being told what you are, you might not wanna play this game.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I wanted to hang out with more forumites, but between the Friday arrival and egregious hotel bullshit, I wound up with less PAX time than I wanted.

Next year, Thursday arrival and forumite meeting. I really wanted to sit down, have a beer, and chat with some folks.
  • Solution: assign anal retentive person to be the planner/coordinator of such things or room with that kind of a person.

That was Andrew's & Lyddi's solution. I can't mess around with things like that.

But yeah, you guys got hosed on the room thing. Complete bollocks. I have yet to have a bad experience with the Westin. I liked how they called me by my name when I called guest services for more towel and pillows. Made me feel special. I also noticed I was on floor 12, which is labeled as a Starwood Preferred Guest floor. It's a silly free membership thing that I earn points for staying at various PAX hotels.
  • What hotel did the screwage occur at? My Westin stay was excellent. We made the mistake of not reserving Sunday night, but I called the front desk on Saturday afternoon and they quickly extended my stay at the PAX rate, even though that block had long sold out through the PAX travel site.
  • Also, can I steal that expo hall image for a post? I realized after the fact I didn't get a good overhead shot of the tabletop area
  • Sure I stole it from a shared post on G+. :P
  • hahah excellent, at least I can plead ignorance to its origin.
  • What hotel did the screwage occur at? My Westin stay was excellent. We made the mistake of not reserving Sunday night, but I called the front desk on Saturday afternoon and they quickly extended my stay at the PAX rate, even though that block had long sold out through the PAX travel site.
    It was the Westin. I don't want to re-hash the saga. Suffice it to say an anal retentive planner doesn't help if you have an arrangement set up and the hotel fucks it up.

We made our displeasure known to the manager that evening and got names and contact information. We will be compiling an email with what happened, what they did horribly wrong, what they did right, and some suggestions for dealing with PAX in the future to send to corporate and the guest services manager.

We understand that this is only the second year they have been dealing with PAX, but two years should be enough evidence for them to see that this Event requires special handling. Especially since PAX will be here through 2023 or so.

• Don't re-hash on my account! Let the wounds heal. Sad to hear it was Westin though. It's always going to be my preferred hotel due to the convenience, so hopefully they solve their issues and prevent future screwage. I don't want to get bit next year!
  • I will say that it was good on the Westin to put round tables in the Mezzanine level for after hours gaming and/or for drinking and gaming. I believe it was suggested by a previous PAX attendee and they followed through.

Now, if they would extend it to the super secret area we created, they would make so much money from their bar. For reals.
  • Was anyone here on the Mezanine level Saturday night when some glass broke? The entire Mezanine started applauding... and I think this annoyed some of the hotel staff. I'm not totally sure what happened though.
  • Was anyone here on the Mezanine level Saturday night when some glass broke? The entire Mezanine started applauding... and I think this annoyed some of the hotel staff. I'm not totally sure what happened though.
    I was there. I heard a glass break. Then a pause. Then I think a few people clapped, then a lot of other people followed.
  • Yeah, actually the way they handled the group of us on Sunday was pretty good. They didn't have to let us use that space; it would have been very easy to say "No, you need to stay in the lobby and mezzanine areas."
  • Places on AirBnB like this might not be bad.