This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2012: End of the World edition

Comments

• 185 a night isn't terrible, and I can bring my small horse.
  • Some of the people I went to Gencon with did that in Indianapolis. They rented some $3000 place for a week, split between four couples. Personally I want to always be in one of the adjoined Hotels if I can. Of course, apparently that's getting more and more difficult every year.
  • I'm going over my credit card balances and it seems I didn't spend as much as I thought I did at PAX. Score. I really don't have a total, but it was worth every penny. :D

I also miss the yummy foods. That mexican restaurant Papagayo was good eatins' for a reasonable price.
  • Ha! I was wondering where everyone went on Sunday night. I thought you all got lame and ended early, but I didn't know their was a secret nook of the Westin. Wife and kid passed out early so I went wandering to see if there was anyone playing games. The Westin lobby and mezzanine were packed but everyone was mid-game and it was nobody I knew.
  • I'm going over my credit card balances and it seems I didn't spend as much as I thought I did at PAX. Score. I really don't have a total, but it was worth every penny. :D

I also miss the yummy foods. That mexican restaurant Papagayo was good eatins' for a reasonable price.
    My favorite thing we did was Legal. I know it's not actually part of PAX officially, but it was so nice to get pampered after the shit Friday. Plus, fancy party! Everybody looked great.

• edited April 2012
    So I was just looking at my Discover account, and I found two pending charges of $591.30 from the Westin. My actual bills were nowhere near that - not by a longshot - so I called up the hotel and asked what the hell was going on.

They told me that those are "placeholder" charges that they use to guarantee the card for later processing.

I've never actually had a hotel do that before - at least not with a credit card. Anyone have any experience with that? Anyone else staying at the Westin see similar charges?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I had my actual Westin charge, for the proper amount, show up on my recent charges statement this morning. There are still numerous pending charges for odd amounts, some for hundreds of dollars. I don't think I'll ever hit the limit on my amex so as long as they don't turn into actual charges, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • edited April 2012
    My charges came out to be fine and had them email me a detailed billing statement. All I know of the extra hold they put on should only be $100 for extras like if we chose to use room service or whatever.

Also in regards to the 3DS, I didn't used the Mii Street Pass as much, but I did meet some awesome bronies on there. My message to everyone was Bro-hoof /][\.

I did meet more people in the US to fill up my map even more. Even from the southern states. I also got 2 people from Japan. It was awesome.

Didn't get all the puzzles filled out either. Still have to finish up Rhythm Heaven and Mii Resort.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Did you all book through the PAX block? Mine hasn't come through yet in any form.
  • Did you all book through the PAX block? Mine hasn't come through yet in any form.
    I did. Had to. I tried booking directly with the hotel and they told me to use the PAX system.

• Was anyone here on the Mezanine level Saturday night when some glass broke? The entire Mezanine started applauding... and I think this annoyed some of the hotel staff. I'm not totally sure what happened though.
    I can't tell you what happened for obvious reasons, but I can tell you one thing - people who clap when staff drop glasses are fucking douchebags.
  • I don't think it was the staff that dropped anything. It was more than likely some person that dropped a glass that they brought up or from beer someone brought in.
  • I don't think it was the staff that dropped anything. It was more than likely some person that dropped a glass that they brought up or from beer someone brought in.
    Yeah, I could see it being annoying if a staff member drops glass, because everyone's publicly shaming them for being "bad" at their job. But if it's just another customer, that's completely different in my eyes.
  • edited April 2012
    Andrew, you play the Mafia part almost too well. Are you always that calmly malevolent?

Also, Delirium Tremens is delicious. I don't know why I never had it before. I'd also like to thank Nuri for arranging the fancy dinner, it was wonderful. And Ro, you were a great companion, even if we were foiled a few times by that rascally elevator. Oh, and Kate, for randomly bumping into me in Tabletop and being extremely friendly and classy, even after consuming one of ScoJo's potions.

Rym, I used that indignant "I never lie when I play Mafia!" line in a game on Monday night, and it worked wonders. Thanks for turning me onto a really awesome party game.

EDIT: I might be interested in buying a bean deck. Do you have an estimate on the printing costs, and what special characters you want to include (detective / blue bean, psycho killer, cupid and the lovers, the witch, etc)? Also, I played a game where the detective's result was given privately (as an up/down thumb) rather than vocally; and, while I think it's an interesting game mechanic, it makes things way harder for the villagers (since the detective has to out themselves for the rest of the group to know anything). Thoughts?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I will say that Andrew was never once a normal villager/wax bean. Total hax.

And yes, that fucking elevator!
  • How many people were playing Mafia? Honestly, I can't help but feel that The Resistance is a far superior game, though it only supports 10 people.
  • I'm a big fan of Bang!. You might need to buy an expansion deck if you're playing with that many people, but those are pretty cheap.
  • Jared lost his voice from working the booth Friday, so he ran Parsely games via computer all Saturday.

• I'm a big fan of Bang!. You might need to buy an expansion deck if you're playing with that many people, but those are pretty cheap.
    I own bang! but rarely play it. Some people like it for the chaos factor, but it can get annoying.
  • Jared lost his voice from working the booth Friday, so he ran Parsely games via computer all Saturday.

Cool, I manned the panel room through the other two he ran, it was really really funny. I feel bad for Jared though, he was definitely suffering but I think in the end he probably enjoyed himself.
  • Just got the tabletop checkout data from Father Fletch for a PAX post I'm working on, and there are definitely some surprises in the list. The #1 checkout was the old (crappy) Penny Arcade card game from Fantasy Flight, followed by #2, Power Grid. I didn't expect the hardcore euro to be quite so popular, but now that I think about it, I did see many games of it being played. I wonder what caused the spike.
  • I would venture a guess the reason those are they are the top checkouts because the PA game isn't really easily accessible and Power Grid is a huge game to bring to PAX. I don't know how easy it is to purchase it either.

Also people could have easily mistaken it for the PA Gamers vs. Evil. That's just my guess.
    This was a huge highlight of PAX for me. I played both Z-Ward and Jungle Adventure. Does anyone know if he'll be posting the text logs anywhere?

• Does anyone know if he'll be posting the text logs anywhere?
    I always lol at questions like these. When someone wants to ask a person something, but they ask a different person instead. This is Internet! Jared will answer if you ask him this question.

THEN he'll bite you, but you'll have your answer.

• THEN he'll bite you, but you'll have your answer.
    Heh heh..

Seriously, though, he will bite.

This was a huge highlight of PAX for me. I played both Z-Ward and Jungle Adventure. Does anyone know if he'll be posting the text logs anywhere?

If you noticed, he generally was erasing himself after he typed. I'm sure if he was thinking about it, he might have saved it, but since it usually didn't have the command that caused the txt, it would be a hard read....
  • Check out Luke Crane's twitter feed. He did share a YouTube video of Jared running a silent Parsely game at one point.
    I always lol at questions like these. When someone wants to ask a person something, but they ask a different person instead. This is Internet! Jared will answer if you ask him this question.

It does happen from time to time that even on this glorious Internet, people don't answer all their email, especially from people they don't know.

That being said, I went to his web site and submitted the "contact" form to ask him.

It does happen from time to time that even on this glorious Internet, people don't answer all their email, especially from people they don't know.

That being said, I went to his web site and submitted the "contact" form to ask him.
    Yeah, people don't answer all their e-mail because it's 2012 and they're busy Tweeting and Facebooking. https://twitter.com/#!/jaredsorensen/
  • I think I picked up three different POX at PAX. This is getting insane.