This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Meta Forum Comments

Comments

• For some reason, all of the buttons next to my username at the top right of the page aren't showing up. When I mouse over them, the cursor turns into a hand, and I can see the various links urls at the bottom left of the screen, but the actual graphics are invisible. I am on my work computer and am using Internet Explorer 11.
  • For some reason, all of the buttons next to my username at the top right of the page aren't showing up. When I mouse over them, the cursor turns into a hand, and I can see the various links urls at the bottom left of the screen, but the actual graphics are invisible. I am on my work computer and am using Internet Explorer 11.

This could be a CSS issue. Closing the browser and/or Ctrl + F5 might help here to load the css and the font file the icons use.
  • Does anyone actually use the sidebar? I think I can remove it.
  • Apreche said:

Does anyone actually use the sidebar? I think I can remove it.

This forum user says remove it, I do not use the sidebar.
  • Dang. I can't remove just pieces of it. I would have to remove the whole thing, including the new discussion button, and then we can't make new threads.
  • Oh god, Enworld lost three months of posts and now this forum has a different layout. Did I fall asleep and wake up in an alternative timeline?
  • Oh god, Enworld lost three months of posts and now this forum has a different layout. Did I fall asleep and wake up in an alternative timeline?

We have never lost a single post since 2005! Go us!
  • edited September 2016
    Apreche said:

the search box was originally full-width across the top. I moved that shit to the side so fast.

Doesn't matter; search is worthless.

Or is it un-fucked now? I haven't tried in so long.

UPDATE: Nope! Still fucked. Doing the research so you don't have to.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Hey it only took like 2-5 minutes to actually give me results when I typed in "burning wheel" (forget loading page 2 of results though, that's just fucked)
  • edited September 2016
    Better things: I now don't need to scroll to the top of the page to get back to the main page.

Worse things. Their color choice for new items is idiotic. Why would you make it the same font color as the other non related items?

Honestly if it's trivial to change the font color for that style locally I would highly recommend changing it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I have personally never used the sidebar.

Also, I like the new layout.

It's up to the rest of you to decide whether I'm being genuine or a contrarian asshole.
  • Could do without the sidebar, if the search tool was also faster. I still use google site: for forum search instead.
  • Too much white, not enough color to easily differentiate new posts vs old posts. Mobile version doesn't have the links on the bottom of page to go back to forum.

I'll adjust, but really too much white.
  • edited September 2016
    Rochelle said:

Too much white, not enough color to easily differentiate new posts vs old posts. Mobile version doesn't have the links on the bottom of page to go back to forum.

I'll adjust, but really too much white.

It has the navigation controls constantly at the top for me which is much better. But yes the new post font color is the worst decision.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • http://imgur.com/a/9ExjV for your all your comparison purposes.
  • I guess I didn't realize it has a specific box on desktop for that. I should specify my gripe is specifically with mobile view then.
  • See, the dark choices are not so great.
  • The dark choice is the best thing that's ever happened to this forum.
  • Darkly or Cyborg, I think I prefer Darkly between the two.
  • edited September 2016
    Dark helps, thank you.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • This is darkly. Not good. DAT TURQUOISE
  • This is fine by me.
  • Yeah, turquoise wouldn't have been my first choice. But on the whole this is infinitely better than the bleach you had before. Hell, you leave this, I'll start tonight writing a chrome extension to change turquoise to whatever hex code you like.
  • This is fucking heinous.
  • Apreche said:

This is darkly. Not good. DAT TURQUOISE

How does Cyborg look?
  • edited September 2016
    I don't mind the layout - kinda old-school, I can dig it. The dark colour scheme is far and away better than the all-white, regardless of which one it is. Easier on the eyes, even with the turquoise. But whatever, you could make it an eye-searing hot pink for all I care, it's not like I come here for the interior design.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

I don't mind the layout - kinda old-school, I can dig it. The dark colour scheme is far and away better than the all-white, regardless of which one it is. Easier on the eyes, even with the turquoise. But whatever, you could make it an eye-searing hot pink for all I care, it's not like I come here for the interior design.

I don't think anyone comes here to get their site design fix. We'll all keep coming regardless of what it looks like. That said Dark > Light when it comes to colour schemes on the web. Easier on the eyes, like you said.

I had a prof back at RIT, he taught front end web dev. He told us, nothing will cause more arguments than colour. So we spent weeks writing a javascript only accordion menu, and a whole bunch of other javascript only features that would have been like 1 hour tops had we had jquery. Then in the final week, we there was a very loud fight in the IT lab over light theme vs dark theme. (we went with old school unix style black background lime green text (I was on dark theme side so I guess I was the loudest)) ~jxs, you were really really right about colour.
  • The dark works way better. Even though it has the same sparse layout mostly, it makes it a lot easier to scan the text like a conversation again.

That white one was the worst, but the darker one right now isn't too bad.