This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• Can you at least back that up with a link or summary?
    Dude, go to any PAX and they've talked about it at length every year.

Basically:

1. The people they already have are personal friends.

2. The people they already have rely significantly on the revenue from the PAX performances to break even for the year (e.g., continue to be able to afford rent as musicians).

3. The venue is too small and already fills: major new acts will cause huge lines, and more total disappointed people (e.g., 9,000 sad people who didn't get to see the concert they wanted to see, rather than 400 sad people who didn't get to see the concert and 8,600 people who didn't care about the concert and did something else).

4. The existing acts are still very popular, due partly to the large number of new attendees and/or people who choose one year to attend the concerts but didn't previously.
  • Rym hit upon it. The same question seems to get asked at least once per PAX. Multiple times at the KhooA at Prime. Stepto even asked Khoo directly.
    Dude, go to any PAX and they've talked about it at length every year.
    PAX East 2013 will be my first PAX and this isn't exactly a Google-friendly question.
  • Someone could write a book called The Economics of Penny Arcade about how and why they break so many rules of economics and business and are still successful.
  • It's because they have a really good rules-lawyer. :P
  • The fanboy in me wants to just say Robert Khoo.
  • Regardless, I'll go to the protomen concert because I'm a huge fanboy. VGO I can take or leave, depending on the set list, and I'm sad (?) to say I've never heard of Those Who Fight.
  • Those Who Fight are badass. Lots of people from other bands combining to cover Final Fantasy songs, adding their own narratives in the form of lyrics to many of their songs. It's primarily FFVI-based, but includes other games songs.
  • I'll probably check them out, though, even though I've traditionally avoided the PAX Concerts, largely because I gain nothing from seeing most of the performers live. JoCo and Paul and Storm are fine, but they don't really put on a SHOW, and Frontalot's hit-or-miss for me
  • They're pretty great. Hoping they're back at MAGfest next year so I can see them.
  • Chances are, I will never see the concerts for my third year in a row, due to being on shift.
  • I've never heard of Those Who Fight.
    THEY PERFORMED RIGHT BEFORE THE PROTOMEN AT MAGFEST!!!

Best way to describe them: Take the Protomen and switch Mega Man with Final Fantasy.
  • I've never heard of Those Who Fight.
    THEY PERFORMED RIGHT BEFORE THE PROTOMEN AT MAGFEST!!!

Best way to describe them: Take the Protomen and switch Mega Man with Final Fantasy.
    I walked in to the concert room literally as the Protomen we're starting.
  • I would consider going back to the Frontalot/JoCo concerts simply because they've both released a ton of new music since I first saw them. Good new music at that.
  • I would consider going back to the Frontalot/JoCo concerts simply because they've both released a ton of new music since I first saw them. Good new music at that.
    From what I've seen the concerts are pretty much the same with Still Alive and Captain's Wife's Lament being the hits.
  • edited January 2013
    Who doesn't like a 12 minute long cum joke punctuatec by "Arrrr"s?
    Post edited by Ruffas on
    From what I've seen the concerts are pretty much the same with Still Alive and Captain's Wife's Lament being the hits.
    That's a shame. Am I the only one who really doesn't like Paul & Storm? They are funny dudes, but Frontalot and JoCo bring the funny while also playing some great tunes. Paul & Storm are 2 people but they only bring half the equation.

That's a shame. Am I the only one who really doesn't like Paul & Storm? They are funny dudes, but Frontalot and JoCo bring the funny while also playing some great tunes. Paul & Storm are 2 people but they only bring half the equation.

I like Paul & Storm, but they produce new material at a very slow rate. It's like I'm back in High School watching the Dana Carvey Comedy Central special over and over again. Choppin' Broccoliiii! They would have to have 100% new material for me to go see them again.
  • A small percentage of PAXees can see the concert any given year (it really is a small venue). With even moderate levels of attendee churn, you can bet that the majority of PAX attendees in a given year have never seen the P&S concert. They could have the same concert lineup forever and probably have the same level of interest and enthusiasm for them that they have now.
  • I've been to both concerts but I never stay long.
  • In my opinion, concerts are pretty much at the lowest on my list of priorities for PAX (and cons in general). There are infinitely better venues/lineups on any given day of the week in any major metropolitan area. Why even waste your valuable con time going to sub-par shows?
  • Not everyone at PAX lives in a major metropolitan area, and some are huge fans of these bands that might never visit their particular cities. Protomen may tour nationally, but they hit a lot of the same places multiple times, and they have a devoted following of sorts.

But I'm still not going to spend my con time at them.
  • I neither recognize nor could name any song from the vast majority of the acts booked at PAX.
  • Wake me when they get some real bands.
  • In my opinion, concerts are pretty much at the lowest on my list of priorities for PAX (and cons in general). There are infinitely better venues/lineups on any given day of the week in any major metropolitan area. Why even waste your valuable con time going to sub-par shows?
    Because sometimes the show isn't sub-par, e.g.: MAGFest.
  • Because sometimes the show isn't sub-par, e.g.: MAGFest.
    Just looking at their schedule from this past year, I really don't see any reason to believe you. However, I suppose they do have Machinae Supremacy next year so...
  • Because sometimes the show isn't sub-par, e.g.: MAGFest.
    Just looking at their schedule from this past year, I really don't see any reason to believe you. However, I suppose they do have Machinae Supremacy next year so...
    I could school you so bad right now but this year MAGFest lineup was AMAZING, and I could argue it was even tighter on the second stage.

• Then school me. I'll be the judge of your non-descript, generic, video-game nerd-core music.
  • Listening to people talk about how their taste in music is better than the other person's is about as fascinating as hearing two people talk about their fantasy sport seasons.