This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• I thought that Khoo & A ended at the last Prime.
  • Really? Oh, well I guess just running that Hardboiled game and drinking, then. And keynote prolly.
  • I'll go to a PAX in 2014.
  • Which one?
  • One that fits my schedule. For the last two years I've been in the USA at the same time as a PAX, but working elsewhere. Next year maybe I can get a gig a weekend before or after a PAX.
  • One that fits my schedule. For the last two years I've been in the USA at the same time as a PAX, but working elsewhere. Next year maybe I can get a gig a weekend before or after a PAX.
    I actually have doubts that you will enjoy it, but we will be glad to have you there.
  • Why might I not enjoy it?
  • edited January 2013
    Why might I not enjoy it?
    Remember that Recess you went to? Imagine that for three days non-stop. Only this time when you play Dune there isn't an annoying guy.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • No annoying guy? Sounds good to me! I'd hope for more concerts than Recess though. And more non-tabletop and non-board gaming.
  • That will happen at PAX.
  • No annoying guy? Sounds good to me! I'd hope for more concerts than Recess though. And more non-tabletop and non-board gaming.
    Yeah, there are concerts, but we don't really go to them anymore. There is also plenty of non-board gaming, but we only do a little of that.
  • I might go off and partake of panels this year.
  • There is the possibility of Luke just not hanging out with you guys all day, and doing those other things while still having fun.
  • There is the possibility of Luke just not hanging out with you guys all day, and doing those other things while still having fun.
    Nobody is going to be hanging out with me all day since I signed up for [E] duty.
  • edited January 2013
    Also, just found out that the flights from my town -> Chicago -> Boston isn't that badly priced.
    Holla at me when you figure out your schedule, we might be able to catch a flight together and split transportation to the hotels from Logan.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • If all I wanted to do was hang out and play board games, I could do that with many friends and at many places here in Berlin. For example here.

I'd go to PAX for all the things you now find boring at PAX. Why wouldn't I go see JoCo live? Why wouldn't I go to the keynote and the other main events? Why wouldn't I check out all the other stuff which doesn't normally show up in my life?
  • I agree with Luke. I go to conventions to experience people and things that I can't elsewhere. You may have seen a concert tons of times before, but the rest of the year I'm not able to. That's therefore more interesting to me than going to a convention to play board games.
  • Because I will take my jadedness and apply it to you.
  • The PAX Saturday concert is something everyone should see once. Especially now that VGO's been moved to Friday and Frontalot is Saturday.
  • I might go off and partake of panels this year.
    I always intend to go to panels, but I never do. I mainly go to East because my East Coast homiez are there to hang out with.
  • Dude, Luke, do it.

That first PAX was a spectacle. It's only after eight PACes that I am jaded about much of it.
  • If I PAX I will certainly hang out some, and play lots of board games, but I can't imagine that at any moment I'm bored there won't be dozens of other things I could find to do and hundreds of people I could do them with.
  • Have you considered going to MAGFest Luke, the music there is off the chart and lasts more days, hell you could easily get in and perform if you are smart enough about it.
  • Man, I wanna do all the things. Hopefully next year I will have the money for Magfest, though seeing as how I'm graduating next Spring I imagine getting to PAX as well might be hectic...
  • Because I will take my jadedness and apply it to you.
    That much jadedness would kill a normal man!
  • Have you considered going to MAGFest Luke, the music there is off the chart and lasts more days, hell you could easily get in and perform if you are smart enough about it.
    Not sure I need more days. Also I'd only perform for moneys.

• edited January 2013
    Also, just found out that the flights from my town -> Chicago -> Boston isn't that badly priced.
    Holla at me when you figure out your schedule, we might be able to catch a flight together and split transportation to the hotels from Logan.
    Currently planning to fly out thursday, return monday. Currently looks like my chi to bos flight would be 6:05 PM. The problem I'm seeing from the searches is that the earliest I can get to CHI is ~3:30 pm.

Hrm... other ideas include flying into chicago a day earlier, playing eclipse till I pass out, then flying to boston the following day, and therefor having all the options for what flights to take. Though it doesn't look like that would save me any money.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I haven't met Luke, but from knowing what I know of him from the forums, I'd say he'd enjoy the crap out of a PAX. Like others have said, it's pretty hard to not enjoy your first PAX. I've always enjoyed bouncing around between groups of friends and also meeting/playing games with random people. Unlike any other convention, the random people have always been rather cool.

In other news, I've been invited to be on a panel described as "a free-wheeling discussion of how video games are opening new approaches for boardgame design." Which should be... interesting. It's got some cool people on it though, including the D6 Generation guys, Geoff Engelstein, Colby from Plaid Hat Games, and the guy who made Sentinals of the Multiverse, so if my likely [E] duty does not conflict, I will most likely jump in on this.
  • International traveling juggler having trouble hanging out with people because they're doing nerdy things?
  • Also, just found out that the flights from my town -> Chicago -> Boston isn't that badly priced.
    Transportation to/from Logan shouldn't be a problem - It's just a few stops on the T.