This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• Free The Fucking Yaks
  • With Apreche on this. Heels are one of those things like spray on tans that don't do anything good for anyone.
  • I haven't seen it yet, but I just purchased the full, uncut version of Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight. This was for two reasons.

1: To prepare for a panel that will prominently involve Odin and a couple other choice anime.

2: There is no possible way for me to obtain this movie on the internet (my ratio is too low on BakaBT and I cannot fix it).
  • Speaking of bad anime, are we ever going to simulwatch Mad Bull 34? Because that would be fun.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2013
    Wrong thread. Los sientos.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Who the fuck thinks that walking a convention in heels is a good idea?
    I know one of the expo hall people was wearing heels on Saturday when I helped close out EH. When someone commented on it, she mentioned that they were smaller than the platform heels she wore Friday.
  • One of the heads of Expo spent the whole weekend in heels, although she didn't have to do as much walking as the rest of us.
  • edited March 2013
    I made the mistake of going in shoes that were not as broken in as I thought. It was fun times; I basically limped around the con late Saturday and most of Sunday.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Low heels are more comfortable than flats when I am standing all day. Flats end up hurting my back a lot, but a bit of a heel will help mitigate that.

Granted, that is because of a problem I have with my sacroiliac joint, so not everybody will have the same result. But you can't judge comfort by a single standard when everybody's body is different.
  • Oh mans, this was one of the best cosplays at PAX East.

http://eminencerain.deviantart.com/art/Kid-Icarus-361873131

• It was definitely THE best cosplay at PAX East. Saw her outside in the cold once. Probably should have done a winter version.
  • I think Dan and I were walking behind her outside. She was very cold.
  • I saw her outside twice. She was taking it like a champ.

I can think of no COSplay at PAX East better than hers.
  • With Apreche on this. Heels are one of those things like spray on tans that don't do anything good for anyone.
    I don't wear heels, but I know when I used to, people treated me differently, with more respect.
    I don't wear heels, but I know when I used to, people treated me differently, with more respect.
    That probably has to do with height. Also, who is disrespecting you? Kick them.
    That probably has to do with height. Also, who is disrespecting you? Kick them.
    Definitely has to do with height. I actually used to punch them, but have since learned that it's slightly more fun to spend time with better people. But just posting a counter example to "heels = orange skin".
    I beg to differ. Sexy legs + heels = sexier legs.

• Sexy legs + vibrams or barefoot = sexier legs.
  • Heels make you flex certain muscles in your legs. This reminds men of sex when they see it. Thus, women in heels are more attractive.

I swear I am not making this shit up.
  • Heels make you flex certain muscles in your legs. This reminds men of sex when they see it. Thus, women in heels are more attractive.

This is also why hips + swishy skirt = total sexbomb. Tight skirts? Pfft. But movement in the hips? Reminds you of sex, and ergo is sexier.

I am disagree.

I am disagree.
    Science disagrees with your disagreement.

The article has a bit of evo-psych to it ("heels make you look more feminine, so there is positive sexual selection pressure on women to wear heels"), but the net effect is that heels make women appear more feminine, and subsequently more attractive, to men.

Of course, evidence won't change your mind, so this is a useless endeavor. But y'know, science.
  • My penis disagrees. So, not true for all.
  • Hrm. Yet another oddity I share with Scott in this department.

You all are animals. One day you might aspire to be as oblivious and disinterested in such things as I.
  • My penis disagrees. So, not true for all.
    So your penis is an outlier. We can say that it effectively doesn't exist.

• My penis, it is statistically insignificant.

There's some sort of terrible pick up line in that, but I'm too unconcerned to find it.
  • edited April 2013
    Sexy legs + vibrams or barefoot = sexier legs.
    I will reserve comment on FiveFingers, but I can say that I've been wearing Merrell Trail Gloves for a while now, and there is no faster way to make your calves look incredible.

I hope fashionable Vibrams become more common.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • My penis, it is statistically insignificant.

There's some sort of terrible pick up line in that, but I'm too unconcerned to find it.
    Perhaps your penis is statistically progressive. Trends change over time. As society changes to see women as more than decorative objects, it makes sense that other things besides decorative features will become more influential in attraction.

• Vibrams Five Fingers are the definition of unsexy! Yuck!
  • I was waiting for someone to mention evo-psych. It's questionable when people attempt to create standards for "attractiveness" and "feminine". The study establishes that the sample group perceived high heeled gait as more attractive, yes. It doesn't rule out the effect of culture and cultural norms, nor does it consistently correlate attraction with biomechanics, nor claim that the attraction is "instinctual".
    From the full article (which I uploaded to GDocs):
    It was perhaps surprising that there was no consistent pattern of correlations between the biomechanical measures and the judgements of attractiveness of the individual walkers. We would have predicted positive correlations between biomechanical indicators of the femininity of the walkers and judgements of attractiveness i.e. walks that would be judged to be most attractive would be the most feminine biomechanically
    We have suggested that evolution may partly explain the continuing popularity of high heels as an article of the female wardrobe. However, high heels could simply be an indicator of social status as they are often more expensive than other types of shoe (Smith, 1999). However, high heels are also imbued with a cultural significance. Wearing heels or corsets (or other fashions that can actually be painful to wear) can be seen as comparable to more permanent body modifications such as tattoos, piercings, scarification or implants. Anthropologists have argued that such modifications can have a variety of functions including group identifiers, social control or rite of passage (Rush, 2005).
    Since it fails to rule out culture, it restricts itself 20-30 y/o residents of Portsmouth (91% white, 87% of students are UK/EU):
    a
    Department of Psychology, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth
    Department of Sports and Exercise Science, University of Portsmouth
    2.2.1. Participants
    Fifteen females (M [age]=24.13; SD=8.30) and fifteen males (M [age]= 28.60; SD=7.97) participated in the judgement study. There were no specific inclusion or exclusion criteria.