This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pax East 2013

Comments

• Two player in Canabalt. Each player has a button. Your guy only jumps when both are pressed at the same time.
  • OK, but two player space team isn't nearly as entertaining as four.
    Yeah, I said that. Apparently they had connectivity issues that made the game a bit of a let down?

Also, apparently people are now talking about "buying" Spaceteam. I guess they don't know it's free.

• edited March 2013
    OK, but two player space team isn't nearly as entertaining as four.
    Yeah, I said that. Apparently they had connectivity issues that made the game a bit of a let down?

Also, apparently people are now talking about "buying" Spaceteam. I guess they don't know it's free.

I had to leave fairly early on, but the iPads were constantly dropping signal, or one guy didn't know to not hit the power down/screen off, one person disconnected their iPad's USB cable and it turned off, it was largely a mess while I was there.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • I would like to note that my desert tonight was whoopie pies.
  • edited March 2013
    Some of these people seem to be trying to treat the westin as a kegger. Whatevs, but I get kinda annoyed at the idea pax might get a reputation with the staff for this rather than all the good things.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • So, my voice is fucked from screaming over attendees. :<
    Welcome to the club. Try GMing a game in Tabletop.
    Ouch. Probably worse than mine. I just had to shout over CFP.
  • PAX was fucking great.
  • edited March 2013
    So, my voice is fucked from screaming over attendees. :<
    Child's play. Try spending the entire weekend on line management in Expo.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
    Child's play. Try spending the entire weekend on line management in Expo.
    Yeah, I'm impressed you were able to talk on Sunday.
  • Okeefe, thanks for running Paranoia. It was one of my PAX highlights.

Everyone, thanks for playing a bunch of games with me and just generally being awesome to spend time with.
  • Next year I'm thinking about getting a room with an attached parlor room for gaming. Scrunched tt and packed westin were rough at times.
  • Next year I'm thinking about getting a room with an attached parlor room for gaming. Scrunched tt and packed westin were rough at times.
    They exist at the Westin. When we checked in they didn't have a room for us with two beds, so we complained nicely but persistently, and eventually they put us in a suite. It was really two adjoining rooms, one of which was sort of a parlor (couch, no bed). I'd imagine they have a bunch of higher-end suites, too.

The table was pretty small, though. If I'd been gaming in there I would've brought a folding table or two, and more chairs.

• edited March 2013
    Okay, one of these days, I gotta teach you people how to yell properly.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Okay, one of these days, I gotta teach you people how to yell properly.
    I'd appreciate it. I don't see myself yelling less any time in the future.
  • edited March 2013
    Well the first trick is that you don't yell. Basic theatre. Project and use diaphragm blah blah. Your throat shouldn't be the part that gives out first.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • How do I know if I'm using Diaphragm rather than Throat? Is there a certain "feeling" I'm going for?
  • You shouldn't feel much anything in your throat. If you think you're projecting but your belly is still, you're doing it wrong.
  • Google voice projection. Wikipedia has an overview. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd share anecdotes.
  • Hello Scott
  • edited March 2013
    Well the first trick is that you don't yell. Basic theatre. Project and use diaphragm blah blah. Your throat shouldn't be the part that gives out first.
    Somebody give this man a prize. The feeling your looking for is more like you're talking louder, giving your voice more presence and clarity over sheer volume. Don't use your voice like a bludgeon, use it like a chisel, yeah with power behind it, but aiming for cutting through rather than bashing down. You don't just want to make it loud, you want to make it ring. It involves rhythm and cadence, not just volume.

In lieu of a proper explanation, since it's half past one in the morning and I'm not confident that I'm lucid enough to explain it properly, watch the famous Barracks scene with R Lee Ermey as Gunnery Sargent Hartman. The only point he yells improperly is when he's yelling "AAAAAAGH" when demonstrating his war face. He can do that all goddamned day. You want to be R Lee Ermey, you do not want to be Recruit Brown, who will wreck his voice in five minutes flat and sound like Sylvia brown gargling glass and rotgut whiskey for a week afterward.

I'll be honest, it's easier to record something and chuck it up on soundcloud or some such thing, which I sure as hell can't do with everybody around me being asleep.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hello Scott
    1:01 for the impatient.
  • Lots of people don't know how to speak from the diaphragm. We should do a workshop on it some time. Might be a good thing to do at the beginning of a convention: Being Heard Without Ruining Your Voice, Friday afternoon workshop. Staff and volunteers strongly encouraged to attend. ;)
  • I have had it with these goddamn Pennsylvanians and their goddam Pennsylvanian whoopie pies. They want you to think they invented the whoopie pie, but they didn't. It was invented in MASSABLEEPINCHUSETTS. I am going to open a can of Bay State Whoopie Pie whoop ass next year at Pax.

So, how many do I have to bring?

PS: Maine-iacs, you also claim to have given birth to the One True Pie That Matters -- why are you silent on this topic?
  • I had a great time at pax. I was nice to finally meet a bunch of you.
  • I'll put it out there: I don't think whoopie pies are all that great.
  • I have had it with these goddamn Pennsylvanians and their goddam Pennsylvanian whoopie pies. They want you to think they invented the whoopie pie, but they didn't. It was invented in MASSABLEEPINCHUSETTS. I am going to open a can of Bay State Whoopie Pie whoop ass next year at Pax.
    Actually the majority of Pie snoobs associate shoo fly pie with PA and not Whoopie, no idea where you are finding these fakers.
  • I will be attending PAXE annually for as long as there's a PAXE to attend. One of the best experiences of my life, hands-down.

Also, you guys need to follow @vlambeer and get Luftrausers when it releases. Trust me.
  • So, how many do I have to bring?
    Based on this year's Q&A, at least 4 dozen.