This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hurricane Sandy

Comments

• So I haven't heard much from my one friend in PA that lost power. So I texted him.

Me: Civilization to Boyd. Civilization to Boyd. Do you read me? 4:36 PM
    Boyd: Yes we read you George control. Rations are slimming and hope is dwindling. Society is destroying itself as I hear sirens out my window. We may die here, 4:39 PM
    Boyd: Boyd out 4:39 PM
  • Look at me! I'm helping, I'm helping.
  • Of course, the Red Cross frowns on donations of canned goods and the like saying that it actually costs more to clean, sort, organize, etc., them than it would be for them to buy the supplies using cash donations.
  • Of course, the Red Cross frowns on donations of canned goods and the like saying that it actually costs more to clean, sort, organize, etc., them than it would be for them to buy the supplies using cash donations.
    Yeah, the cynicism of the Romney campaign is staggering.
  • edited October 2012
    Who says he's giving it to the Red Cross? Last I heard he was gonna put that all in a sack and go up and down the eastern seaboard like Santa Claus.

Edit: And futhermore he just asked for donations to help the relief effort. The most commonly donated food goods are canned (I should know, I did scouting for food for eight years). He's trying to help out. Do you just expect him to say "No the Red Cross doesn't like cans, I can't accept this."?
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • I should know, I did scouting for food for eight years
    Really? I was mostly in it for badges and girls.

Well I was in it for the nice Eagle patch I can now wear on a scout uniform (though I haven't worn one in awhile) but I did help out several local charities with my troop.
    Well I was in it for the nice Eagle patch I can now wear on a scout uniform (though I haven't worn one in awhile) but I did help out several local charities with my troop.
    I have my uniform right next to me as we speak, though my service bar is separate, in my jewelry storage, along with it's ribbons - Tan, yellow, green, Maroon, and Blue tucked inside. The Blue isn't official, but it was given to me for helping out with the Girl Guides as well, so I wear it anyway, and nobody has managed to stop me yet. I'll be too old, soon, sadly.

I have my uniform right next to me as we speak, though my service bar is separate, in my jewelry storage, along with it's ribbons - Tan, yellow, green, Maroon, and Blue tucked inside. The Blue isn't official, but it was given to me for helping out with the Girl Guides as well, so I wear it anyway, and nobody has managed to stop me yet. I'll be too old, soon, sadly.

Nice! Being an Eagle scout (or whatever the equivalent is) is awesome. It's a good accomplishment.

It's just unfortunate that the organization that gives them out nowadays is run by a pile of turds.
  • Nice! Being an Eagle scout (or whatever the equivalent is) is awesome. It's a good accomplishment.

It's just unfortunate that the organization that gives them out nowadays is run by a pile of turds.
    Queen's scout. I've got that too. And the organisation down here is far superior to the American and British organizations.

• BSA was all right when and where I was in it, and I'd still say its a good organization for young boys, but yeah something's gone now.
  • edited October 2012

This is Cucina Liberta, the cafe next to my building. I'm glad Muse is on the 3rd floor.

Meanwhile, in L.I.C. we are doing great. We went for a jog this evening and checked out the damage. I bunch of downed power lines and a couple of trees, but the park was pretty okay. They designed it well.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Boats! We need to have remote control boats! With cameras! Racing!
  • I walked around. Mostly there is just arboreal debris in the gutters. When the street sweepers come again, it will be very clean. I saw one very minor residential street closed off due to a downed tree that was not cleared yet. I imagine it is very low priority for eveyrone except for the few houses that can't get their cars in or out.
  • Lots of trees down but no major structural damage they ended up getting power up at work around 10am so got called into work. Very surprised since the power station down the road from work is one of the ones that caused the east coast blackout awhile back. Thanks to that the whole building is on a UPS.
  • So I haven't heard much from my one friend in PA that lost power. So I texted him.

Me: Civilization to Boyd. Civilization to Boyd. Do you read me? 4:36 PM
    Boyd: Yes we read you George control. Rations are slimming and hope is dwindling. Society is destroying itself as I hear sirens out my window. We may die here, 4:39 PM
    Boyd: Boyd out 4:39 PM
    If there is a single person that would be able to handle shit like this it WOULD be Boyd. Damn my college nostalgia despite the fucking end of it...
  • Why DO sign language interpreters make all those faces?
  • I was wondering what the flip she was up to.
  • Still stuck in the city from Burning Con. Unless my flight gets canceled again, I'm leaving Thursday.
    It's inflection. Adds emphasis for better understanding. They're actually emoting.

It's inflection. Adds emphasis for better understanding. They're actually emoting.
    Yep - It aids understanding and meaning. Sign without the facial expressions and so on is the rough equivalent of speaking in a completely flat, emotionless monotone.

I'd assume it's because deaf people can't hear verbal emotional cues, so it'd be natural to exaggerate physical emotional cues.
  • edited October 2012
    So I really liked that interpreter when I was watching her, but the more hilarious thing is that Bloomberg kept watching her when he wasn't talking, out of the corner of his eye. He was fascinated.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It's a miracle! No work tomorrow either!
  • If I'm interpreting this correctly she's saying "Some guy just brushed off the finger, then he drove to his ex-wifes house and shot her boyfriend with a bow and arrow. Right through the neck. She was like 'woah, come here'. They went into the house. Then the night ended with double fisting black dicks."
  • Back to work today because the military base has power and internet! We have no power or cell service in my house, and with giant downed trees and power lines scattered everywhere, weren't able to pull out of our street until noon yesterday.

I spent 6 hours yesterday driving around NJ, shuttling family members from around the inland coastal counties to the Princeton area. Also drove over an hour to work this morning, and I can say that between all of that driving, I can count only three towns with power on, and I don't think it was even the whole town that was up.

The NJ coast is a crapshoot. Some towns got spared, like Cape May all the way down at the tip. Wildwood seems OK too. Others didn't have too much bad damage, people just losing siding and some roof shingles. Where the high tide flooding combined with peak wind, there are areas I've known my whole life that are simply leveled.

It's the barrier islands from Atlantic City and up that took the brunt. The majority of houses are still fine with small damage, but the towns themselves look like warzones. Still flooded, can't see a road. Boats and sheds strewn around, with the occasional leveled house. Not a single bridge open yet to get over there. People that used to live across the street from the beach, with high dunes on the beach side of the road, now have ocean waves lapping at their driveways.

If you really want to see the damage, this is the absolute best source of pictures and reports: Jersey Shore Hurricane News facebook page
  • The hurricane is literally skipping right over Rochester.
    This leads me to assume my previous hypothesis that The Sentinel (an art installation at RIT) is actually a weather machine.