This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hurricane Sandy

Comments

• We've got the kids camped out in the living room. Our 3 year old with autism had a major panic attack when we told her we were moving her bed down here, but she got over it in about 10 minutes.
  • Wind speed just increased rather suddenly, and is maintaining. Now it feels like something more than just windy rain.
  • Dude, you live in Manassas?
    We should hang sometime.
    Yeah, we should.
  • edited October 2012
    My Berner got out while I was trying to survey some tree fall during a lull in the storm (with a flash light from a doorway to make sure the generator wasn't crushed), and escaped through the back gate which got ripped to bits by the wind. I just spent 5 minutes searching the neighborhood for her with a flash light before she showed up on our front porch begging to come in. Luckily during this entire thing, the storm was very very calm. We're either past the high winds or we're in a lull.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • lull, I think. It calmed the fuck down here for an hour or two, but looking at the radar, is about to start up again.
    We should hang sometime.
    Yeah, we should.
    Add me in the hanging of out. I didn't know you were close, Erwin.
    Where the FUCK is Spiderman's lazy ass?

• Getting some ridiculous rain right now. Getting ready to set up floor pumps and get drenched...
  • we are getting a LOT of wind but very little ran in the Northwest suburbs of Philly.
  • edited October 2012
    First heavy band coming through for us. We are only expecting 30-40 sustained with 70mph gusts. I don't expect power will be on at work tomorrow Akron's Power grid doesn't handle wind well at all.

Big blob of yellow and orange heading our way that just hit Pittsburgh
    Blob of green
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Governor just ordered most of the coast evacuated immediately. Level 4 event, whatever that means, apparently the most, deepest coastal flooding ever seen in the state in recorded history.
  • Oh hai guiz, just your friendly neighborhood blizzard checking in.

• I should probably feel guilty or bad or something for kinda wanting to be a part of all this.
  • Governor just said no, fucking news media, I did NOT say to evacuate, I said to evacuate hours ago, it's too late now, do NOT get in your car in a hurricane and try to leave, get up on your roof and maybe we'll be able to save you morons who didn't get out when you were told to, and as for the town managers and mayors who weren't more proactive about enforcing the evacuations, we'll be having a chat later.

Malloy is seriously pissed.
  • NYSE is flooded.
  • Don't forget flooded subway tunnels.

This is crazy.
  • Looks like Ground Zero just got a water feature.

We should hang sometime.
    Yeah, we should.
    Add me in the hanging of out. I didn't know you were close, Erwin.
    Most Fridays I go to The Gibson in DC for some drinks and then to the Black Cat for a Doctor Who happy hour, and then I just look for good restaurants in Adams Morgan. However, this Friday I will meet and old friend from College. We can arrange something for the first week of November.

Now if you want to do something near Manassas, There are some good Korean restaurants in between 28 and 29.

• NYSE is flooded.
    Actually, it's not. There's flooding in the financial district, but not at the Exchange itself.

• edited October 2012
    Most Fridays I go to The Gibson in DC for some drinks and then to the Black Cat for a Doctor Who happy hour, and then I just look for good restaurants in Adams Morgan. However, this Friday I will meet and old friend from College. We can arrange something for the first week of November.

Now if you want to do something near Manassas, There are some good Korean restaurants in between 28 and 29.
    I don't understand how it can be between 28 and 29 when those roads intersect up near 66.

I'm game for hangs, but I'm busy the first week of Nov. Well I'm busy if Pete and Nuri don't get blown away.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • NYSE is flooded.
    Actually, it's not. There's flooding in the financial district, but not at the Exchange itself.
    BUT it was mis-reported by the media as the floor of the NYSE. So nyah.

• Most Fridays I go to The Gibson in DC for some drinks and then to the Black Cat for a Doctor Who happy hour, and then I just look for good restaurants in Adams Morgan. However, this Friday I will meet and old friend from College. We can arrange something for the first week of November.

I don't understand how it can be between 28 and 29 when those roads intersect up near 66.

I'm game for hangs, but I'm busy the first week of Nov. Well I'm busy if Pete and Nuri don't get blown away.
    Dude, there is almost nothing happening here. I mean, it wasn't even forecast to hit us til Tuesday, but it has acted really weird since the two storms combined, so we don't even know where it's going to go anymore. Still, the wind and rain don't seem so bad compared to the coastal flooding.

• Most Fridays I go to The Gibson in DC for some drinks and then to the Black Cat for a Doctor Who happy hour, and then I just look for good restaurants in Adams Morgan. However, this Friday I will meet and old friend from College. We can arrange something for the first week of November.

I am talking about this restaurant http://www.eathoneypig.com/
    there is also a good Koran Fried Chicken close to it, if you like super spicy chicken.
  • Looks like Ground Zero just got a water feature.
    Pretty!
  • Can't even begin to imagine how many contaminants are in that water.
  • edited October 2012
    They showed a video or a portajohn that had been completely submerged and was left tilted when the water started receding.

That water is no good.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Boston Public Schools is open tomorrow. Arlington. Brookline, and approximately all the other school systems in the region are closed. They have a far less complicated transportation system that is more difficult to clog than ours. Goddamnitlochnessmonster.jpg

I wanted to hit up that happy hour since I heard of it last week! I love Who.

Yeah, Manassas, I am a purely city girl who relies on metro. Sorry.