This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hurricane Sandy

Comments

• Would someone hurry up and make a Rock You Like a Hurricane/4th of July from Asbury Park mash up?
  • edited October 2012
    Assuming the crane doesn't collapse any further, I'd imagine that's going to suck for whomever gets stuck with the removal/cleanup.

• The highest winds aren't even here yet. Here's hoping it holds.
  • It's actually getting a little bit crazy go nuts outside. I've seen worse, though. Here's hoping no work tomorrow.
  • Seen some power flickers here, but no outage yet...
  • Holy cow, that's crazy. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna last, I just hope it doesn't damage too much else when it drops.
  • Definitely no work tomorrow. Subway won't open any time soon. I plan to work from home again. If I lose power, I'll just dick around and finish a couple of books.

We could do GeekNights with the Marantz even if there's no power, if one of us can get to the other's place. ;^)
  • You guys could come stay in my guest house for the duration. I'll have internet and power. Also water.
  • Sis-in-law in Connecticut and Mother-in-law in Virginia have lost power. Still have power here as well as my mom's on the south coast of MA.
  • They have canceled work for me tomorrow (I work in Rockville, MD).
  • Just had a wind gust that made me put both hands on the wheel, and its getting dark to the north and east.
  • Just had a wind gust that made me put both hands on the wheel, and its getting dark to the north and east.
    If you get whisked away to an alternate universe, try to look for the alternate universe version of me. There's a pretty good chance he can help you out.
  • Things are blowy here in Manassas, but we're still doing ok. Getting some chores done.
  • Things are blowy here in Manassas, but we're still doing ok. Getting some chores done.
    That's pretty close to where my in-laws live (they're in Haymarket). Guess the power failure they've got is somewhat localized.
  • Apparently, parts of Foxboro lack power. Bridgewater's still electrified, though.
  • edited October 2012
    Things are blowy here in Manassas, but we're still doing ok. Getting some chores done.
    That's pretty close to where my in-laws live (they're in Haymarket). Guess the power failure they've got is somewhat localized.
    The City of Manassas generally has their shit together as far as utilities go. I think all our lines are buried. Can't speak about Haymarket is further out, maybe more trees?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2012
    Is that where the crane collapsed?

Edit: Just saw the image on the news in the bar I'm at.
    Post edited by Totally Guy on
  • Considering two of the people meant to appear on FNPL tonight are in New York, one of them in Queens, I am now more concerned.
    The City of Manassas generally has their shit together as far as utilities go. I think all our lines are buried. Can't speak about Haymarket is further out, maybe more trees?
    Dude, you live in Manassas?
    We should hang sometime.
  • Over 300,000 homes without power in CT. We've been lucky so far but apparently the shifting storm is going to bring more wind into the Farmington Valley soon...
  • Well, a tree just fell and came within about 10 feet of my house. It did take out a good chunk of the fence in my backyard, but at least the house is fine. Of course, my my dog doesn't have her playpen until we get that fence fixed/replaced/etc.
  • edited October 2012
    Well, a tree just fell and came within about 10 feet of my house. It did take out a good chunk of the fence in my backyard, but at least the house is fine. Of course, my my dog doesn't have her playpen until we get that fence fixed/replaced/etc.
    That happened to us/our dogs in the last two storms. So far so good right now. The power keeps flickering and the wind is getting much stronger.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I'm lucky enough to live on a hill area nowhere near the sea. It is an absolute miracle that the power hasn't gone out yet. I think after the catastrophe on our street that Irene made us go through, it was a good idea that the arborists came and cut down all the bad trees and branches. However, I'm willing to bet that I won't have any sort of power by tomorrow.
  • Just now it sounded like the fucking roof was going to come off. I guess the storm has found the mouth of the valley...
  • Just found out (in the worst way) that my living room's window is not secure. Just swung open while me and the Mrs. were watching Paranormal Activity. She, of course, screamed, and I LOL'ed. I then duct taped the everliving shit out of the window, and am having the super replace it once the storm passes.
  • Some really large tree just exploded and hit the ground. I think it was in the wooded lots next door but it's too dark to see outside.
  • Small piece of 2x4 just fell from a scaffold and hit the ground really close to me as I walked back to my hotel.
  • With each gust the house actually seems to lift up a bit and then settle back down. We are definitely getting 70+ MPH winds now, probably 80+, but I can only base that on intuition. It's stronger than I've ever heard.
  • There is definitely a lot of wind now. Basically constant gusting. I hear a lot of things rattling around outside. Still not as bad as the hurricanes when I was a kid. I will always remember the one that blew the shed over the rock wall.