This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hurricane Sandy

Comments

• Damn I wanted to be the new Scott.
  • Now sitting here stewing and getting paranoid about which of my morally bankrupt, dysfunctional "family" members are going to be staying at my grandparents' and helping them with my generator (in exchange for free meals and laundry service) since they're too old to operate/maintain it themselves. Won't be me and nearly every other option is likely to damage the thing on purpose before returning it because they really are just that spiteful and reptilian.

*sigh*
  • Let the grampies stay with you. Sheesh!
  • They would never in a million years, otherwise that would be preferable. Our home is much smaller than theirs and we have two big dogs and a relaxed attitude about housekeeping. They'd have a stroke.
  • Axel, sorry bud. You've gotta be the new Jack.
    Dammit.

• But think, now all of that is in the ocean...Not a better solution.
  • But think, now all of that is in the ocean...Not a better solution.
    We'll soon see drunk fish having a barbecue.
  • Well, here's the damage to my fence. Fortunately it's all the damage I suffered.
  • One benefit of my cheap shitty stockade fence is cheap repairs.
  • Argh, nothing fell on my SAAB. Damn!
  • Did you park it near trees? You should have!
  • Is it an old tree or new tree?
  • edited October 2012
    Strategy for next time, George: find a hardwood tree that is growing in a narrow strip of land bounded on the sides by pavement. No place for the roots to spread out to anchor it down = easy to fall over.

And then dump shitloads of water on the ground to turn it into mud.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I'm pretty sure this discussion can now be used as evidence for insurance fraud...
  • Apparently the main building for the Colony apartments that has the laundry machines in it has lost power, so you can't get in because the door locks are electronic card swipe, and the machines wouldn't work anyways. I need to do laundry...Curse you Sandy!
  • edited October 2012
    I'm pretty sure this discussion can now be used as evidence for insurance fraud...
    Only if he gets caught!
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Apparently the main building for the Colony apartments that has the laundry machines in it has lost power, so you can't get in because the door locks are electronic card swipe, and the machines wouldn't work anyways. I need to do laundry...Curse you Sandy!
    Weird. Electronic locks are supposed to fail to the open position, according to building codes, in the event of a power failure. It's to keep people from being locked in somehow.
  • Yeah, I dunno. The doors don't open, and the card-swipe reader isn't working. But they also don't lock from the inside anyways, so...
  • I'm pretty sure this discussion can now be used as evidence for insurance fraud...
    Only if someone narcs. And that won't happen on account of what we do to narcs.

• Damn it, Obama.
    Those doors never locked when we were there.

In fact, all the dorms were unlocked all the time. They started locking a small number of exterior doors after like 10:00pm, but otherwise everything was open.

• Electronic locks may fail to unlocked, but the box that sends the signal to open an electrical lock might not. It's happened to me before when a card swiper thing ran out of battery power.
    Those doors never locked when we were there.

In fact, all the dorms were unlocked all the time. They started locking a small number of exterior doors after like 10:00pm, but otherwise everything was open.

Every door is always locked now. I actually am scared for the Residence Halls if power goes out and people get locked out of the building.

• edited October 2012
    Yeah, one day a few years ago the whole electronic card-swipe lock system went down for some unknown reason (they never even sent an email about it afterwards) and every door locked. It only took about 15 minutes for students to prop open nearly every door with a large lock or trash can.

RIT seems to think the card swipe lock thing is really secure, but I guess I just don't see it. People come in and out of buildings all the time, and nobody seems to care or notice if you slip in behind them. Security theater, methinks.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Hey Obama, you know what would solve this Hurricane Sandy situation? More boats. Romney 2012.
  • Bush's head of FEMA, Michael Brown, said that Obama responded to Sandy too quickly.
  • Katrina 2: Electric Boogaloo
  • That tree looks like it's been dead a good long while.