This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Let go of your apprehension Darth Frost
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • You know, the merchandising is all over the place but I mean Fucking RC FLYING X-Wings and smart phone controlled droids!. I'm totally ok with this. (also a lot of the shirt designs I'm seeing in stores are pretty sweet (and will love to get when they go on sale at some point)
  • The only reason that this isn't meh for me is J.J. Abrams director / producer team.

I can't disagree with Darth Frost, I was hype but excess hype every where has made all Star Wars related stuff turn into background noise that I have to filter through.
    Cremlian said:

You know, the merchandising is all over the place but I mean Fucking RC FLYING X-Wings and smart phone controlled droids!. I'm totally ok with this. (also a lot of the shirt designs I'm seeing in stores are pretty sweet (and will love to get when they go on sale at some point)

Yeah those sweet looking Darth Maul t-shirts are still everywhere along side the Jar Jar Binks soft toys.
  • The original star wars was as commercialized and merchandized as it possibly could have been considering the era. This is no different.

• edited November 2015
    I see nothing wrong

Bty that was the first thing that came up when I searched for jcpenney's and star wars...

I've noticed though that a lot of the star wars stuff is brand oriented and not specific to the new movie. Lots of old school Han shirts and storm troopers.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited November 2015
    Star Wars as a franchise has been so commercialized that we don't even realize it any more. How many games on how many platforms have been released over the years? Snippets have been ingrained into our vocabulary. Books? The entire expanded universe and all of its associated physical implementations? It's a part of our social lifeblood.

We got used to it because we've been immersed in it. It's been a long time since anyone produced new Star Wars merch, so it seems tacky.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited November 2015
    I bet black milk will be doing a roaring trade in star wars leggings and other such things before long.

I bet all the knockoff brands are doing an even better trade because they're in stock right now, and not charging 85-200 minimum because fucking nobody can tell the difference when they're actually being worn, because printed tights are pretty fucking easy to produce.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Cremlian said:

I see nothing wrong

Bty that was the first thing that came up when I searched for jcpenney's and star wars...

I've noticed though that a lot of the star wars stuff is brand oriented and not specific to the new movie. Lots of old school Han shirts and storm troopers.

I've noticed a lot of children's books that are pure original trilogy, that are only popping up now. I had to search high and low over the past two years to find that sort of thing, being that most kid's stuff is marketing towards Clone Wars viewers and such. Now that the Force Awakens marketing machine is revving up, their must be a realization that parents want to share some Original Trilogy nostalgia.

• We got used to it because we've been immersed in it. It's been a long time since anyone produced new Star Wars merch, so it seems tacky.

That's not true at all. They've been continuously producing new Star Wars merch for decades without. Do you know how many people have licenses to produce official Star Wars goods around the world? They keep making this shit even when there hasn't been any new movie recently.

Build a Bear Workshop lets you make Star Wars shit. Star Wars shit for every holiday. Clothing, toys, and games all the time. LEGO all day. New books every month and comics every week. I knew someone who specifically collected Star Wars kitchen goods, and that collection was vast and ever-growing.

This merch machine did not slow down between the first trilogy and the prequels. It definitely did not slow down between the prequels and now.

New movies just means they've got some new characters and new ships to work with.
  • Apreche said:

This merch machine did not slow down between the first trilogy and the prequels. It definitely did not slow down between the prequels and now.

There was a dead era with almost no toys in the late 80s. I remember the few kids who had the original Star Wars toys being minor celebrities: no one else could get them.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

There was a dead era with almost no toys in the late 80s. I remember the few kids who had the original Star Wars toys being minor celebrities: no one else could get them.

It did slow down for a bit around then, but only toys in the US completely stopped. You could still get plenty of other Star Wars merch. Also, plenty of stuff was available in other countries, just not the US.
  • edited November 2015
    Man, do I love these new posters!

THIS IS A DEADPOOL FREE ZONE
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Disney had loads of new Star Wars merch in the Disney Store like... the day after they bought the franchise. And it's been a pretty steady stream ever since the toys re-launched in 1995. Rym is correct, Star Wars really did die down in the wake of RotJ, and was majorly fading in the early 90s. Heir to the Empire started the whispers again.
  • Holy shit! I haven't seen a mod-edited post in AGES.
  • edited November 2015
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Holy shit! I haven't seen a mod-edited post in AGES.

Yeah. It's what I get for trying to cross promote Disney licenses. Or Andrew just really hates Chimichangas. Or Fun.
  • I fucking hate Deadpool.
  • Andrew said:

I fucking hate Deadpool.

I can relate to this comment.
  • What happened to "Deadpool-free zone"?

If you're gonna wrestle, at least brawl in the correct ring.
  • Andrew said:

I fucking hate Deadpool.

So I'm not free to reference it even tangentially to the thread being discussed. Gotcha.
  • Dromaro said:

Andrew said:

I fucking hate Deadpool.

So I'm not free to reference it even tangentially to the thread being discussed. Gotcha.
    Now you're thinking with portals.
  • Andrew said:

Dromaro said:

Andrew said:

I fucking hate Deadpool.

Can we talk about deceased ponds?
  • Amp said:

Andrew said:

Dromaro said:

Andrew said:

I fucking hate Deadpool.

Let's have Andrew draw up a complete list of unacceptable materials so that we may all be proactive in pleasing his tastes alone. After all, the ban hammer is heavy and we wouldn't want his arm to get tired. ;-)

• Dromaro said:

Amp said:

Andrew said:

Dromaro said:

Andrew said:

I fucking hate Deadpool.

Let's have Andrew draw up a complete list of unacceptable materials so that we may all be proactive in pleasing his tastes alone. After all, the ban hammer is heavy and we wouldn't want his arm to get tired. ;-)

This post is double plus good. Appease me, you plebes.
  • Oh shit he doubled down! Haha...
  • Star Wars + KPop. This is a real thing, not some parody.

• I will not get hype. Hype is the mind killer.
  • edited November 2015
    12 year old and 30 year old (also 35 year old me...le sigh) me super hyped
    18 year old me is Meh :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on