This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• Apreche said:

We got used to it because we've been immersed in it. It's been a long time since anyone produced new Star Wars merch, so it seems tacky.

That's not true at all. They've been continuously producing new Star Wars merch for decades without. Do you know how many people have licenses to produce official Star Wars goods around the world? They keep making this shit even when there hasn't been any new movie recently.

Build a Bear Workshop lets you make Star Wars shit. Star Wars shit for every holiday. Clothing, toys, and games all the time. LEGO all day. New books every month and comics every week. I knew someone who specifically collected Star Wars kitchen goods, and that collection was vast and ever-growing.

This merch machine did not slow down between the first trilogy and the prequels. It definitely did not slow down between the prequels and now.

New movies just means they've got some new characters and new ships to work with.
    True. What I meant with "new" is more akin to "fresh" - that is, new ships and characters and designs and shit. But yes, they've been constantly retreading old merchandising for fucking ever. Star Wars everything. Spaceballs attempted to make an exaggerated joke of it, but it's actually understated.

• And when you say retreading old merchandise forever, it is very true. In many cases with the toys and figures, they'll remake the same exact item, slap a fresh coat of paint on it, and re-release it.

With the new Force Awakens merch line, the Micro Machines brand name was revived, and most of what they are selling is pure re-casts of old molds.
  • You know what I have weird hype about? The fuck this... wall (train?) thing is:

What the hell are those two straight lines perpendicular to it? I've looked at it for way too long, and I can't even figure out the topology of the thing.
  • The speculation I've come across is that they might be turning the ice planet into a death star, and death stars obviously require a bunch of trenches.
  • I concur, that is obviously a trench run.
  • you know the more I look at the trailers the more I think this movie is A New Hope with a bunch of old people saying how everything that is happening has happened before :-p It's going to be awesome :-p
  • edited November 2015
    Cremlian said:

you know the more I look at the trailers the more I think this movie is A New Hope with a bunch of old people saying how everything that is happening has happened before :-p It's going to be awesome :-p

ALL OF THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE AND ALL OF IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

Just, y'know, don't turn into space angels.

Wait. We have that. Force ghosts.

Fuck.

And BSG technically happens a long time ago, and it happens in a galaxy far far away.

Fuck.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Whatever nerds. This looks awesome. As long as JJ doesn't screw it all up by giving R2D2 a love interest or something, I'm on board.

I'm really looking forward to loitering around my local theater on release day in my 8 foot Chewbacca suit until they either make me an official mascot for the week or call the police. Either is gonna be entertaining.
  • Technically BSG cannot happen in a galaxy far far away because their galaxy is our galaxy
  • Andrew said:

Technically BSG cannot happen in a galaxy far far away because their galaxy is our galaxy

I thought the original colonies were in another galaxy and they made their way to ours. It's been a while since I watched it, though.

• Andrew said:

Technically BSG cannot happen in a galaxy far far away because their galaxy is our galaxy

I thought the original colonies were in another galaxy and they made their way to ours. It's been a while since I watched it, though.

I don't think BSG FTL technology is capable of galaxy level travel. Could be wrong though.
  • muppet said:

As long as JJ doesn't screw it all up by giving R2D2 a love interest or something, I'm on board.

• To be fair, there's places in our galaxy like 100,000 light years away.
  • Culture Ships can't even travel between galaxies. The entire world of the Culture novels takes place within our galaxy.

The best you get is a long-long-long-term project where a bunch of Ships are slowly en-route to Andromeda, but that is never discussed but in passing.
  • The BSG wiki does say specifically that the 12 Colonies of Kobol are in a remote part of our galaxy. So I'll accept that.
  • The Galaxy Express 999 goes from Earth to Andromeda, which is the galaxy closest to the Milky Way. It also doesn't take long at all. Tetsuro is a potato when he leaves, he's a potato when he gets there, and he's still a potato when he gets back.
  • edited November 2015
    Andrew said:

If long enough ago, it should could. Galaxies can "collide and merge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_merger

Long odds, but possible.

Also, deceased jacuzzi.

EDIT:

The BSG wiki does say specifically that the 12 Colonies of Kobol are in a remote part of our galaxy. So I'll accept that.

I didn't read this before replying. But my point holds. Galaxies far, far away and long, long enough ago can sometimes be the same galaxy presently.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • The idea that BSG and Star Wars are the same universe is one of those banned things in this thread.

APPEASE ME
  • edited November 2015
    Andrew said:

The idea that BSG and Star Wars are the same universe is one of those banned things in this thread.

APPEASE ME

I am enjoying your reign as an unreasonable tyrannical mod.

ALL HAIL ANDREW, THE ALMIGHTY MOD

Post edited by Andrew on
  • What happens if we mention Star Trek?
  • edited November 2015
    Well, it *could* explain how we even know the Skywalker saga here in our part of the universe. I mean, otherwise it's just some batshit tale that came out of Lucas' head. I prefer the former.

EDIT: Or Disney plans to make this previously non-canon work canon. They *do* own all the relevant IP...

Also, lifeless lagoon.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Star Wars ships can totally jump galaxies. Even in the new canon they are casually capable of crossing their own galaxy in a matter of days and weeks. The rebel regrouping point in V is several tens of thousands of light years above the above the galactic disc. If the GFFA has another galaxy as close as Andromeda is to us, it'd probably only take them a couple years max to jump from their galaxy to the next one over. Might even take less time; clear routes between galaxies means full-speed hyperdrive.

The prequels have the "Intergalatic Banking Clan", so named because they have holdings in the GFFA's version of the large and small magellanic clouds, which would be a whole galaxy-length away.

Star Wars is hax.
  • Starfox said:

To be fair, there's places in our galaxy like 100,000 light years away.

I think I flew to them in Elite Dangerous.

• Full MV is out

• Star Wars is hax.

Despite being confined to a single galaxy (or at most, two galaxies), Culture Ships possess overwhelmingly more capabilities.

A single Abominator-class Picket Ship could probably, with ease and in the space of at most a few seconds, destroy an entire Imperial fleet of arbitrary size. And barely even notice having done so.

• Help us, mod Andrew. You are our only hope.
  • Rym said:

Star Wars is hax.

Despite being confined to a single galaxy (or at most, two galaxies), Culture Ships possess overwhelmingly more capabilities.

A single Abominator-class Picket Ship could probably, with ease and in the space of at most a few seconds, destroy an entire Imperial fleet of arbitrary size. And barely even notice having done so.

Except THE FORCE.
  • The best way to get something in a thread, is to name it something-free.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Star Wars is hax.

Except THE FORCE.
    Oh, nudging a single torpedo a little bit in its path instead of using the targeting computer. WOW!

Convincing a handful of storm trooper grunts to not look in the trunk. FASCINATING!

Non-fatal lightning against a single person. EFFECTIVE!

Effectors could do all of that against humans on a planetary scale.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Rym said:

Star Wars is hax.

Except THE FORCE.
    Oh, nudging a single torpedo a little bit in its path instead of using the targeting computer. WOW!

Convincing a handful of storm trooper grunts to not look in the trunk. FASCINATING!

Non-fatal lightning against a single person. EFFECTIVE!

Effectors could do all of that against humans on a planetary scale.

Yoda said that size matters not. Why didn't the Emperor didn't just use the force to grab the entire rebel fleet and slam it into the nearest star?