This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fellow Atheists: What to do about religious parents?

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
This has been pissing me off so much I'll do anything for advice. I'm an atheist being brought up by Catholic parents. I'm about to go through the confirmation program later this year. Being the lazy bastard that I am, I don't want to do the work and I especially don't want to be a confirmed Catholic. My parents are stubborn bastards and so am I, yet they have authority over me. Can anyone help?

Comments

• That's a tricky one. Have you talked to your parents about this at all?

Like with you the confirmation thingy forced me to make a choice, but apart from that my situation was a bit different. My family are protestants, and my parents turned out to be much less religious than I thought before I stood up to them. My experience might be relevant to you anyhow.

I decided to not back down on my principles, and to take whatever fight that might follow. There were some unpleasant arguments, but my choice was respected, and I was treated more like an adult after that. We have all learned not to step on each other's feet to avoid unnecessary family arguments. It works like a charm.

The choice to stand for my principles has helped me in other situations too.
  • edited October 2006
    Wow. This speaks to me. It says:

I am going through the exact...same....thing... I am about to be confirmed likewise. And I have also been looking for somewhat of an "answer".

My current plan that I am happy with for the time being is to go along with being confirmed, and slowly walk away from Catholicism. This way, I think that when I say something to them as an adult, they will be eased into the idea and won't take it a suddenly. It is quite a long term plan, but I think the key is that you don't want to do anything rash that will make your parents hate you. In my plan I've just left it to work itself out in adulthood when I've had more life experience and can possibly handle it better.

Just as an aside, how many of you honestly could have guessed I was 15? Ah, the internet. Allowing people of every age and walk of life to discuss and argue on an even level...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Just as an aside, how many of you honestly could have guessed I was 15? Ah, the internet. Allowing people of every age and walk of life to discuss and argue on an even level...
    Really, that old? Wow, could have fooled me... :P
  • Talk to them. Tell them how you really feel. Yes it will be hard, but if they truely love you they will understand. But if you still have to do it don't worry to much. I went through the same thing, but for money. I got something like $300.00 out of it so it wasn't that bad.
  • Talk to them. Tell them how you really feel.
    Should you give them every reason to believe that you're for real?
  • Just as an aside, how many of you honestly could have guessed I was 15? Ah, the internet. Allowing people of every age and walk of life to discuss and argue on an even level...
    Really, that old? Wow, could have fooled me... :P
    Yep, and everytime I reveal that in a forum, I am prompty ailienated. So therein lies the test of awesomeness for the Front Row Crew forum...but of course this is completely off topic.
  • Go through the confirmation and get them off your case. If you don't believe in it, it's just ritual and doesn't mean a goddamn thing.
  • edited October 2006
    Yeah, you have several options. You can do one of two things, which have numerous variations:

1. Suck it up. Do it to make mom and dad happy and just go through the motions. That's what I did for my bar-mitzvah because of my (mistaken) belief that I would be treated more as an adult afterwards.

2. Intilligently and calmly discuss your position with your parents, stand your ground, and brace for some rough weather. Depending on your parents, they could simply be dissappointed, or if they are of the crazy brand of xianism, they could call in other family members to 'help' (read as 'annoy') you, ostracize you from the family, cut you off from funds, or other types of assholeary.

Depending on how much your parents REALLY love you, they'll have a range of acceptance. My parents had different reactions:

My dad turned out to be way less religous than I thought, atheist in fact.
    My mom believes, I think, that it is a phase. Which is cute because the 'phase' is about 17 years old and going strong and I'm almost 28.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited October 2006
    Let's see... I was confirmed 2 years ago. I was none too enthused about being confirmed. Putting it mildly, you could say I don't agree with the Catholic Church. Anyway, my parents ARE religious and were making me, so I didn't really say anything. Should I have stood up for myself? Maybe. But it wasn't the end of the world, plus I got some sweet ca$h out of the deal.

EDIT: Artboy posted while I was typing. Be warned, if you decide to hold out, they may cut off the tuition $$$.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • RymRym
    edited October 2006
    If I were you, I would sit them down and explain to them that I didn't want to be confirmed and why. If they insisted or threatened disowning or something equally miserable, I'd tell them clearly that I'd go through with the ceremony, but I would be doing so under false pretenses, and that I would not consider the ceremony in any way binding.

Essentually, I'd make it perfectly clear that they can force me to go through with the ceremony, but they can't change my beliefs. If they really want me to lie, I will, but that will not change anything.

/born "Catholic"
    //not confirmed
    ///officially renounced baptism
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Go through the confirmation and get them off your case. If you don't believe in it, it's just ritual and doesn't mean a goddamn thing.
    This is what I did for my Bar-Mitzvah. All I had to do was get up on a stage and say some stuff in Hebrew. In exchange, my relatives gave me a pile of moneys and we had a huge party. So what, I spent some time in my life praticing some meaningless ritual. I also learned a lot of things and increased my Hebrew reading skills. Obviously the ritual doesn't hold any power, unless you believe it does.

Weigh the pros and cons of doing the confirmation, then make a decision. In the end, your parents can't make you do it. If you have sufficient cohones you can simply refuse to go to the Church. Better yet, you can go to church and make a scene. It's not against the law to disobey your parents. You just have to be prepared to face whatever consequences may come. If your parents refuse to buy you any more video games ever, you have to be prepared to deal with that. If worst comes to worst I would suggest you get all Rosa Parks up in their faces, but that's mostly because I want to be amused when you come here and tell the story of the aftermath.
  • Well, it really depends on how strict your parents are. I mean, if they're anything like mine, they'll understand and leave it at that. However, if they're really strict, I think you're in a bit of a sticky wicket there, mate!

PS.

Just as an aside, how many of you honestly could have guessed I was 15? Ah, the internet. Allowing people of every age and walk of life to discuss and argue on an even level...
    Well, I'm 13, and yet you don't see me being stupid and crazy like a certain ex-member of the forums (*cough*flamming geek*cough*)
  • *sigh* I feel so old.
  • edited October 2006
    I'll echo what others said.

First and foremost you should talk to your parents and try to come to a consensus.

If that does not work, just go through it. If you aren't into it, it's meaningless. Confirmation is only as good as the person being confirmed. It won't kill you to go through the motions, and it will actually show your parents that you are mature enough to be respectful, even if you disagree. The bottom line is that they are your parents, and they do a boatload for you. Sure, you may disagree with some of it, but you still come out way ahead in the end. I'd say that's worthy of some respect. You aren't giving up anything, and you're showing them that you are mature.

Now for a shock... I quit my confirmation class when I was your age. I was able to quite because my parents were fine with it. However, I went on to get confirmed just after I had my first child. It's a long story, and the reasons why are probably not what anyone thinks.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited October 2006
    Wow, I am of a completely different perspective. I respect people of real faith enough not to give lip-service to a belief I do not have. If I was in that situation, I would tell my parents that I respected their religion enough not to enter into it so lightly. I would tell them that I love them, that I understand how they feel, and that if they want to attempt to force to me believe something that I did not, that they didn't love me for who I am but for what I am (their child rather than an individual). If they pressed the issue, I would seek to have myself emancipated, leave the home, use government aid to finish high school and go to college, and cut them off until they loved me for me.

That is just me.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I respect people of real faith enough not to give lipservice to a belief I do not have.
    I guess I worry more about respecting parents than respecting religion.
  • edited October 2006
    If your parents are religious, it is one and the same, as in this case.
  • As others have noted take the path of the least resistance. Botching your relationship with your parents over something that is essentially meaningless isn't the best of ideas. Make the best of the situation and take a cue from Jason here. There has to be at least one lady amongst the masses worth corrupting, I mean liberating.
  • If your parents are religious, it is one and the same, as in this case.
    WTF? I am pretty sure that his "parents" are not the Vatican. They may share the same values, but they are two separate creatures. That was my point.
  • edited October 2006
    I am not sure that this issue is meaningless. I think it hits the heart of the parent/child relationship. If your parents do not love you for who you are, then they simply don't love you... they love some idea of you. If they want to force you to do something you do not believe in (not that I am not saying that they are forcing to do something you WANT to do, but rather something that goes against your morals, beliefs, and the like), there is no wiggle room. Either your morals and beliefs can be bought (either for status quo, gifts, or tuition money), or they can not.

Once you have reached the age when they will ask you to make this decision, you really are old enough to make it for yourself. You may love them and feel grateful for what they have done, but if they do not love you for you, then they are not your family. No genetic code, gifts, past pleasant memories, etc. matter. If they do not love you, they are not your family. They do not have to like your decision or how you act. They may not be willing to financially support your lifestyle if they feel it goes against the morals, but if they love you they will not disown you. Period.
  • edited October 2006
    I think some key questions you need to ask yourself are:

How much do you care about your parent's reaction?
    Will their reaction harm you emotionally/physically/financially?
    Will they be supportive?
    Are you willing to deal with possible consequences and fall-out, no matter how bad they are, if you stick to your guns?
    Is your laziness a greater reason to not do the confirmation than your professed atheism?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • RymRym
    edited October 2006
    Is your laziness a greater reason to not do the confirmation than your professed atheism?
    Laziness is a noble reason. By choosing not to bother with the ritual and its preparation, he's decreasing the rate of entropy entering the world and extending the time we have left before heat death.

Laze on, noble sir!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    I am not sure that this issue is meaningless. I think it hits the heart of the parent/child relationship. If your parents do not love you for who you are, then they simply don't love you... they love some idea of you. If they want to force you to do something you do not believe in (not that I am not saying that they are forcing to do something you WANT to do, but rather something that goes against your morals, beliefs, and the like), there is no wiggle room. Either your morals and beliefs can be bought (either for status quo, gifts, or tuition money), or they can not.

Once you have reached the age when they will ask you to make this decision, you really are old enough to make it for yourself. You may love them and feel grateful for what they have done, but if they do not love you for you, then they are not your family. No genetic code, gifts, past pleasant memories, etc. matter. If they do not love you, they are not your family. They do not have to like your decision or how you act. They may not be willing to financially support your lifestyle if they feel it goes against the morals, but if they love you they will not disown you. Period.
    I don't think it's this simplistic. My concerns with him not playing the appeasement card is how his parents might treat him subconsciously now, later or even worse his children some day. The thing is, not everyone in this world is in control of their own memeplexes as we here at GeekNights are. This isn't a question of whether they love him or not, the question is how they are going to view him and (mostly subconsciously) treat him after he throws up the deuce and says "fuck this shit." The problem is, that some people are so invested in their memeplexes that they can't even conceptualized the idea that culture and society are mostly responsible for their programing and worldview, not some god somewhere. They just might not understand where he's coming from. God and ritual are fantasy and magic his parents are not. Only his parents can actually affect his life and personality. I'm not saying he should be nefariously deceitful (unless he's freakin' the squares of course) but he should actively avoid certain arguments and situations if they stand to severely damage his relationship with his parents. Running against the grain is pointless with some people (especially adults). He should concentrate on relating to his parents in ways he can, rather than trying to change them (they aren't ax murders they are just devout Christians). Also, chaps just a kid, he has plenty of time to try and liberate his parents from the shackles of dogma. The devoutly religious don't take being told their god doesn't exist very well, hell some can't even take artistic renditions.

Working with people is a far better approach than working against them, especially your parents. There really is "wiggle room" you just have to find the lagrange point, especially if you hold a broader view of the world than those who you're relating to. He obviously holds the philosophical higher ground so he is going to have to sympothize more in order to find common ground, you just can't expect people to give what they don't already have. We are not static beings, we have impressionable thoughts, feelings and emotions it just isn't as simple as your parents either love you or not.
    Post edited by HeavyCruiserLost on
  • ^^^^^^^^^
    Well put. ::golf clap::
  • you just have to find the lagrange point
    ...and then nuke it, sparking a massive war between Earth and the colonies, wherein a hapless young lad will pilot a special robot, bringing eventual peace to the solar system but not before learning valuable lessons about friendship and war.

Wait, what are we talking about?
  • The upcoming movie, Snakes on a Lagrange! Snakes in motherfuckin' space!
  • To return to the point (at least briefly):

Nobody here can know what will work out best for you, and no one here can tell you what's right. Everybody here's done a really good job of pointing out the pros and cons of both alternatives, so I'll just relate one little phrase that helped me a lot in an argument with my mother over whether I should pretend not to be an atheist to avoid offending my (extended) family: "I was raised better than to pretend to be something I'm not."

Pointing out to a parent that they're asking you to do something dishonest/immoral is like kicking someone in the nuts in a fight; i.e., it is very effective :-)
  • edited October 2006
    "I was raised better than to pretend to be something I'm not."
    But what if your disclosure will hurt the feelings of others? I do a simple weighing of the pros and cons. If I'm going to do more "hurt" than I will receive, I won't bother telling anyone my thoughts. Really... how hard is it to keep your thoughts to yourself? It's quite noble if you are attempting to avoid hurting others.

The simple truth is that you will never convince your relatives to become atheists. They will never convince you to become a Christian. Therefore, it's a war not worth fighting. Sometimes it's best just to keep mum about the subject. Why offend them if you know that it won't make a difference?

Should the racist, if amongst NAACP members, proclaim that they are a racist and start advocating their position? The way you were "raised," they would. Surely you don't think that this is appropriate!

We are all entitled to our views. However, there is a time and a place for those views. Voicing your views when the only result will be inflammatory is a waste of time. Let others go on with their lives absent your opinion, just as you would want to go on with your life absent theirs.
  • To clarify:
    Should the racist, if amongst NAACP members, proclaim that they are a racist and start advocating their position?
    Only if asked, and that's really the distinction. I don't try to convert friends/family to atheism, nor do they try to convert me to their beliefs. But I won't bow my head in prayer, and I wouldn't go through confirmation or baptism if asked today, precisely because I believe it's wrong to pretend to be something you're not. I'm not saying this behavior is appropriate for trogdor, but that's my position, and if you are dealing with (relatively) rational people, it's a fairly easy one to defend.
    We are all entitled to our views. However, there is a time and a place for those views. Voicing your views when the only result will be inflammatory is a waste of time. Let others go on with their lives absent your opinion, just as you would want to go on with your life absent theirs.
    There's quite a difference between telling a church full of people they're wrong and refusing to participate in a ritual of a faith you don't believe in. Trogdor's situation falls into the latter category, assuming that disbelief is the larger of his listed motivations.
  • edited October 2006
    Only if asked, and that's really the distinction.
    Fair enough.

I guess the only time I've had this come up is when I went to a Jewish wedding. It was requested of me that I wear a yarmakule. I went ahead and wore it. It meant nothing to me, and frankly, I just viewed it as a way I could honor the bride and groom.