This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 2 - Backgammon - UPDATED

Comments

• I'm still trying to get my match going. Hopefully that'll happen today.
  • My match with woodchuck is at 4 - 2. They have to go deal with some tornado business.
  • edited April 2013
    Yoshokatana defeats Woodchuck, 7 - 2.

Aw yeah backgammon in the final game.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Has anyone heard from highdefinition? He didn't play last round, and hasn't yet played this round. I think if I don't hear from them, I will DQ them and we won't need any more byes.
  • According to their profile, their last visit to the forum was April 9. It would seem they should at least be aware of the last few rounds so that seems a reasonable thing to do.
  • I updated the matchups! highdefinition missed two rounds in a row, so I didn't assign them an opponent.
  • Gasp. The three-win match-ups.
  • Gasp. The three-win match-ups.
    Shit's about to get real. There will be two people with four wins. They will meet in the next round, and we will probably have our champion.
  • Spoilerific round 6 and ghetto tie breaks means anything remains possible.
  • Thank you kind sir!
  • Why did I think this was only going to be four rounds?
  • Seriously guys?
  • AT LEAST IT WAS NOT A BLOWOUT
  • It was a 4-4 with no crawford. We just played optimally by doubling every turn until no fun girl had effectively won. Don't tell me you didn't expect this to happen.

Funny thing is I was ahead most of the game, but then a double 6 ruined everything.
  • You did it on purpose.
  • edited April 2013
    Of course we did. Why wouldn't we?

Anyway, you can just go ahead and count 5 point for no fun girl. It should be against the rules to keep doubling once a 5-points win is assured, because at that point stopping doubling is just stupid unless you know you don't have a chance to win.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • If there were an actual cube the doubling limit would be 64 anyway.
  • edited April 2013
    If there were an actual cube the doubling limit would be 64 anyway.
    It would not. You can keep doubling beyond the dice limit if you play on a board, or so I read.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • If you're going to discount the insane double, I think I at least earned a 12 - 4 score because:
    1. We began at 4-4
    2. I was doing minorly better and would have doubled
    3. 5ro4 then gained a significant lead, and would have doubled. Since it was game regardless, I would have accepted.
    4. I then gained the lead, and won with gammon.
  • edited April 2013
    Wait wait wait! No futzing the score afterwards! 134217732-4 stands or I quit the tournament.

EDIT: oh, gammon. 268435460-4
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited April 2013
    The game is rarely redoubled beyond four times the original stake, but there is no limit on the number of redoubles. Although 64 is the highest number depicted on the doubling cube, the stakes may rise to 128, 256, and so on.
    For the record, I do not support messing with my score. We played legit, we doubled legit, and 5ro4 did not lose on purpose. We recognized that one of us would lose either way, so we doubled until there was a clear winner. There was some fear that the game would crash when the value hit 65536, but it did not. We had some good back and forth, but I got him on the bar with my home row blocked up.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited April 2013
    Also for the record, when the chance of taking any checker from no fun girl was gone, I said I would stop doubling as it could be considered griefing (I still had a minimal chance of winning if miracle, so even that was arguable, but it already was hilarious enough).

Ironically, that removed the opportunity for me to refuse the dice and avoid the gammon.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • This is what happens when intelligent, reasonable gamers see a hole in a rules set and exploit it. Scott has no one but himself to blame, really. LoC and I attempted to point out this was going to happen but it was unanswered.

On the assumption that it stands unchanged and assuming no fun girl doesn't drop the next 2 matches, she's likely won the event. The only outcome where it doesn't matter is if someone wins out.

For the record, I will not be attempting to echo this behavior. I'm going to play as I have the entire tournament to date and will continue to play.

• I would have done the same thing were I in the tournament.
  • I would have done the same thing were I in the tournament.
    Obviously. It's the "correct" thing to do if you're trying to win. I, however, would not because I know the intent versus the mechanisms. It's clear Scott didn't want this to be common practice based on this gem comment and others he's made.
    You did it on purpose.

My goal is as it ever has been. Win all my matches, period. If I do that, all the doubling nonsense is meaningless. If I go 5-1 and lose to a clearly broken and stupid tie breaker that seems to exist for no reason other than Scott seemingly not wanting to do anything more than add up points as a tie breaker? Yeah, then I'll me mildly to greatly annoyed.
  • The points are only for tie-breaking and matching, right? Win-lose is still the most important bit?
  • Yes. At least I assume so. At this point, anything seems possible. Points as a first tie break, bombs going off all over New England, and possibly the worst of all.