This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 2 - Backgammon - UPDATED

Comments

• edited April 2013
    If it's the intentional draw, it's expressly forbidden by the rules laid out by Game Master Scott.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I don't really plan on it. The victory is more valuable. Without it the tiebreak points won't matter.
  • If it's the intentional draw, it's expressly forbidden by the rules laid out by Game Master Scott.
    ... oh? ... Uhm...
  • edited April 2013
    I don't really plan on it. The victory is more valuable. Without it the tiebreak points won't matter.
    Yes, the victory is more important, but if you only have to take a very slight risk to double repeatedly, it's worth it.

Also, in a situation where the winner of a given game is going to win anyway, you no longer give up chances of victory by doubling. So, if the score is at 4-4 or 3-3 then you should definitely do it.

Frankly, if points are still the tiebreak I think it's unfair to match me against Snickety-Snake when no fun girl is on 268435482 and hasn't played against him.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Welcome to 4 rounds ago when I pointed out the problem with the pairings. I learned to stop complaining an love the agent if chaos that is Scott Rubin.
  • I don't recall what you said earlier. In any case, I fully intend to keep complaining wherever it's warranted.
  • Don't worry, people; Bronzdragon just got 4294967300 against me.
    4294967304, actually. It's almost like you don't think the first four wins count!
  • I'm kind of sad at the missed win opportunities that were caused by my scheduling problems with InvaderREN and Belliger, but hey, that's luck. I guess I just have to double lots to beat the tiebreaks in my bracket.
  • edited April 2013
    Doesn't work if I don't collude on that. Though, admittedly, I probably will. Let's go for broke.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
    4294967304, actually. It's almost like you don't think the first four wins count!
    4294967300 had already those 4 points added. Send the results again or they will not match.
  • Make up your minds.
  • Scott, it's obvious 5ro4 is correct since 2^32 = 4294967296. A score of 4294967304 isn't possible.
  • Scott, it's obvious 5ro4 is correct since 2^32 = 4294967296. A score of 4294967304 isn't possible.
    Disregard me, I am dumb.
  • Hey Jaytee, you around? I sent you a forum PM, but haven't heard back. I gotta get my backgammon fix, bro!
  • Birdville defeats Yuyuke 6-3, in a down-to-the wire, neck-and-neck finish! I was tempted to doublestorm, but it's not so fun when we're keeping track of it ourselves. I wish you all good luck in the next round of the Grand Prix!
  • edited May 2013
    Dromaro defeats no fungirl 5-1

I'd detail it but I have to run off to Tasty Minstrels playtest. Suffice to say, it was the best and wackiest match of the tourney for me.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • edited May 2013
    Still no word from Jaytee. Does anyone have his contact info?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Nope. He was responsive to PMs when I played him.
  • edited May 2013
    Hmm, so if I were to win against Snickety-Snake I'd be third at the least, but we would have an interesting situation with three people at 5 points, each of whom has only lost to one of the others; tie-breaking would then decide everything.
  • It looks like I'm safe as long as I don't let you win by 16 or more points. To secure second place, you'll have to win with at least 7, or make things interesting and get 6 to tie Birdville).
  • Assuming total score is the tiebreaker, unfortunately yes.
  • Jaytee got in touch with me and we're going to play this weekend. Deadline is still Sunday night / Monday morning at 0:00 Monday, right?
  • edited May 2013
    Well, I beat Snickety-Snake 5-2, mostly by outplaying him, though I will admit I got lucky a little more than he did; the game record can be seen here:
    http://pastebin.com/ZGhjgJ4d

Assuming Scott's dumb tiebreaking system this result, depressingly, still puts me in third place; that wouldn't quite be enough to catch me up to Dromaro in the overall Grand Prix standings.

Of course, I continue to plead for a better tiebreaking criterion. In fact, the fairest approach might be not to tiebreak at all, but instead split the point values equally among people with equal numbers of wins.
  • You all knew the tiebreak rules when you got into this... ; ;^)
  • edited May 2013
    Woodchuck hasn't contacted me and I haven't contacted woodchuck because I've been real busy and forgot about Backgammon this week. So I guess we'll probably end up taking a tie.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2013
    You all knew the tiebreak rules when you got into this... ; ;^)
    Indeed I did, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize those rules.

Also, rather than say he was sticking with total score as the tiebreaker, Scott's response to me was
    Also, let's wait until we actually have a tie.
    which implies he may yet consider a different approach, and hence this warrants further discussion.
  • I'll see what the final rankings will be with either tie-breaker and see how it looks.

• Assuming Scott's dumb tiebreaking system this result, depressingly, still puts me in third place; that wouldn't quite be enough to catch me up to Dromaro in the overall Grand Prix standings.
    There, there. If you wish to maintain this illusion, Johnny Snow, so be it. You had best bring your lunch pail. ;-)
  • I assumed that the points would be used as a tiebreaker, and played as if I didn't have anything to lose. Not saying that I took a knee, lackofcheese definitely bested me this round, but I figured that the outcome of the match would have been inconsequential to my final standing in the backgammon tournament.