This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 2 - Backgammon - UPDATED

Comments

• Updated!
  • Updated!
    I think you meant "Updated!".
  • Backgammon has not been kind to me.
  • If it makes you feel better, the next round is pretty much the exact opposite.
  • If it makes you feel better, the next round is pretty much the exact opposite.
    So... counterstrike?
  • edited April 2013
    I'm not actually hating on backgammon, and I think it was a pretty good choice. I'm glad that I played, because I never had before, so I learned something I probably should have already known.

The complaints about my demise are largely just luck-related, but with two rounds left perhaps luck will swing back my way and I will squeeze out some points. I am looking forward to round 3 though.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Cheese, I know schedules are rough with you. Get back to me when you can. :(
  • I'm not actually hating on backgammon, and I think it was a pretty good choice.

The complaints about my demise are largely just luck-related...and the random number generator is not in my favor.
  • edited April 2013
    Backgammon has not been kind to me.
    I'm not actually hating on backgammon, and I think it was a pretty good choice. I'm glad that I played, because I never had before, so I learned something I probably should have already known.
    BTW Timo, let's figure out our time difference and start working out when/how we can play.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Sail and Timo both have Backgammon Premium on iOS :)

Have at that turn based goodness!
  • Perfect. Just wish it had the double cube built in in turn-based mode! So dumb.
  • Perfect. Just wish it had the double cube built in in turn-based mode! So dumb.
    Yeah, why is it left out of that mode?? iMessage FTW.

• Yeah, all the backgammon iOS apps have some failing or another. Ren and I were using Backgammon NJ (which is known for its excellent ai) but stupid things like auto-lock or backgrounding would abort the game. I've been meaning to leave some feedback to enable, you know, USING YOUR PHONE, while playing online...
  • That speradsheet should include Gamecenter names and iMessage/Skype/whatever info so you don't have to have the same discussion via forum PMs every roud...

GC ProcessBlue
    Skype timoruppell
    iMessage timo.ruppell at gmail...
    Frontgammon! My favorite!
  • I just suffered the fastest and most brutal loss ever. Timo was rolling all doubles. There was literally nothing I could do.
  • All my doubles that were missing in previous games came home to roost and I almost won by backgammon. As it is I only crushed Sail 5-0 in a brutal display of dice partiality.
  • I beat YoshoKatana 5-1
    First match I play were luck was not an issue. I had it better, no doubt, but it was never utterly decisive or game-flipping.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm done playing Creamsteak; the match record is here: http://pastebin.com/E2KJyxKK

Unfortunately, it seems like Creamsteak wasn't at his best, and apparently had some trouble with the interface of the FIBS client he used. He only mentioned his interface troubles to me after we finished the match, though...

In essence, the match came down to several crucial doubling situations, and it was over very quickly as a result.

Game 1
    In the first game, I was starting to get a strong early advantage - strong enough that I probably should have doubled at one point (see below).
    However, as it turned out, I was lucky that I didn't do so, because directly afterwards he rolled double 4s and escaped his back men very far indeed. A few turns later, he got double 6s and the next turn he doubled me out of the game:

I took my time on this one, but in retrospect the drop was more obvious than I thought.

Game 2
    The second game went quite similarly - both players escaped before anything really threatening could happen, and soon enough I was in this position.
    I made the choice to double here, but in fact I was overeager; it was too early for me to double there. As it turned out, though, Creamsteak dropped it, which was definitely a huge mistake.

Game 3
    In the third game, I had several moderately lucky rolls early on, while Creamsteak had several moderately unlucky rolls; very quickly the position came to this:Here, he took my double! I got to really rub it in from there; I even built one of these:Oh, and you won't guess what I rolled next...

That game ended up with a gammon going to me.

Result: lackofcheese beats Creamsteak, 5-1
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Gotta love the sadistic pleasure of having six consecutive made points (a prime), no?
  • edited April 2013
    FINAL BATTLE

Can someone double check to make sure I entered the scores properly?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2013
    Ok. Timo reported that he beat Sail 5-0. Sail says Timo won 7-0. I checked and everything is otherwise correct.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2013
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • edited April 2013
    Ok. Timo reported that he beat Sail 5-0. Sail says Timo won 7-0. I checked and everything is otherwise correct.
    I won the first game after offering the cube and Sail refusing, and the second two point game by a gammon for a total of 5-0. The 7-0 result would have almost happened but Sail narrowly escaped a backgammon loss.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I sent a correction like an hour afterwards saying it was actually 5-0.
  • edited April 2013
    Hmm. So, I'm in contention here, and I'm playing against the person who is most likely to win the tournament, but depending on the scoring system I may not be able to get first place.

Good on Snickety-Snake for having done so well, though it's unfortunate he got a bye.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • You can still win! Double every turn! :V
  • You can still win! Double every turn! :V
    My choice in strategy seems clear here.