This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 2 - Backgammon - UPDATED

Comments

• I assumed that the points would be used as a tiebreaker, and played as if I didn't have anything to lose. Not saying that I took a knee, lackofcheese definitely bested me this round, but I figured that the outcome of the match would have been inconsequential to my final standing in the backgammon tournament.
    Well, wins matter more than anything.
  • Jaytee beats Yoshokatana 536870915 to 4

We got to where it was 4 - 3 (me), then he chose to double. since 2pts either way was basically game point, we kind of went a little crazy with the doubling.
  • Either FIBS or whatever interface I was using wouldn't let me double in a non-Crawford game. I didn't feel like doing it manually though, so I guess we couldn't multiply by silly amounts because I am lazy.
  • Dromaro defeats no fungirl 5-1

I'd detail it but I have to run off to Tasty Minstrels playtest. Suffice to say, it was the best and wackiest match of the tourney for me.
    TBH I think I played rather recklessly since I'd been messing around with my app AI and was still in that mode. But Dromaro was definitely my toughest opponent thus far despite my being slightly luckier with rolls.
    Unless the next game is one that really gets me going, I'm probably done with the prix.
  • edited May 2013
    Unless the next game is one that really gets me going, I'm probably done with the prix.
    You're no fun, girl!

Aaaanyway, yesterday iruul left mid craford game 135-95 pips in my favor and games 4-2 in my favor. I have to go to sleep now. I hope we can finish this before deadline in the morning.

Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Due to my time zone and random life events I don't think I can play my game with Starfox.

I am happy to forfeit 5-0 as I feel it's more my fault. Otherwise, if Starfox does not claim this victory, we will tie.
  • edited May 2013
    I won't complain about being handed a victory, but I signed up to play some games, not get charity wins. I'll leave it up to Judge Apreche.

EDIT: That said, I'll be poking around online for the next ~4 hours, so if I see you're in and up for a game, message me. I'm still down to play.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Lol it's Monday and I'm at work!

Take the win and prepare yourself for round 3 :)
  • Well, when you're right, you're right. When you're wrong you're wrong. Once again I was wrong, and you complaining people were right.

If I used the Backgammon match points scored as the first tiebreaker, the few people who won those crazy doubling games got a HUGE boost in placement. Here's what it looked like using that tiebreaker.

Snickety-Snake
    birdville
    lackofcheese
    Dromaro
    Bronzdragon
    no fun girl
    Creamsteak
    Yuyuke
    Jaytee
    Starfox
    5ro4
    Linkigi
    Timo
    InvaderREN
    Belliger
    Matt
    Apsup
    Yoshokatana
    Iruul
    Sail
    Coldguy
    highdefinition
    woodchuck

Here is what it looks like if we use the total number of opponent match wins as the first tiebreaker and the backgammon total scores as the second tiebreaker. Clearly this better represents who was better at backgammon.

birdville
    Snickety-Snake
    lackofcheese
    Dromaro
    no fun girl
    Creamsteak
    Bronzdragon
    Yuyuke
    5ro4
    InvaderREN
    Timo
    Starfox
    Linkigi
    Belliger
    Jaytee
    Matt
    Iruul
    Apsup
    Yoshokatana
    Sail
    Coldguy
    highdefinition
    woodchuck

Champsionship points have been updated accordingly. Birdville played all six rounds and got 5 wins against strong opposition. Losing only to the second place player Snickety-Snake. But Snake got one of his wins on a bye. His only loss was to third place player lackofcheese! who lost only to the champ, Birdville.

PARITY IS BEAUTIFUL

Round 3, tomorrow. It will be much easier logistically speaking, and will not have any complaining.
  • The important thing is that I was right all along about the issues with the doubling cube.
  • ...and will not have any complaining.
    Let it not be said that there is no optimism within Scott.
  • Looks like I still have a horse in this race.
  • I think in order for this Grand Prix to have meaning, we may need to have many more rounds. On the one hand, that will mean that there will be significantly more people who are not mathematically eliminated, yet. On the other hand, that can give a significant advantage to people who have no lives and participate consistently, as opposed to those who are superior gamers.
  • You are in a room. There are no windows or doors. In the center of the room there is a table. On this table rests a cake, a single plate, and single fork. What do you do?

"You cannot have your cake and eat it"

Up to you to decide the balance, Game Master Scott. In reality, I'm a whee disappointed with people seemingly dropping like flies but that's just me.
  • I share your disappointment in those who are sissies. Maybe I do want to reward those who have the competitive spirit and dedication, but that is what the first round was all about.
  • edited May 2013
    Damn you, people that played against me! Y U NO DO BETTER?!

I guess it turns out I should have given more advice to the people I defeated (after playing against them, of course). I helped Coldguy a little, but other players were also making obvious mistakes.

In any case, I'm satisfied with the final outcome. Based on my games with either one, birdville deserved to win more than Snickety-Snake did. Although birdville and I played pretty much equally in our match, ultimately luck went his way, and that's part of backgammon.

Thanks for fixing things up, Scott; it feels good to be vindicated.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I did okay and I had no passion. ^o^
  • edited May 2013
    You are in a room. There are no windows or doors. In the center of the room there is a table. On this table rests a cake, a single plate, and single fork. What do you do?

"You cannot have your cake and eat it"

Up to you to decide the balance, Game Master Scott. In reality, I'm a whee disappointed with people seemingly dropping like flies but that's just me.
    I'd say that I agree with Dromaro on all counts, but since he's my nemesis I disagree on principle.
    I did okay and I had no passion. ^o^
    Clearly you're just talented ^_~
  • edited May 2013
    Damn you, people that played against me! Y U NO DO BETTER?!
    Yeah, the only top 4 I got to play against was Droms. It probably would have been better to make the later matches go to 7. Also, I don't think someone should place higher than someone they lost to. I think the best tie breaker would be a playoff, unless they already played against said person.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited May 2013
    I'd say that I agree with Dromaro on all counts, but since he's my nemesis I disagree on principle.

What fun would it be for either of us if we just ran away with it? I'm all for a victory well earned over a win for winnings sake.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I suspect Dromaro could well have won the tournament if he didn't have that tied game with Yuyuke. I have mixed feelings about not playing against him, especially considering he apparently is an experienced backgammon player.
  • Yeah. My availability that week was cray cray and while I could have made the time on Sunday, I deemed a nap more important.
  • I suspect Dromaro could well have won the tournament if he didn't have that tied game with Yuyuke. I have mixed feelings about not playing against him, especially considering he apparently is an experienced backgammon player.
    I'm not sure how Droms would rank since he lost to snake. He was easily the most difficult opponent I played. But since I didn't play you, snake, or bird... ????
  • I couldn't tell what made someone difficult or not. All my games felt the same. What exactly gives you those feels?
  • Yeah, the only top 4 I got to play against was Droms....I think the best tie breaker would be a playoff, unless they already played against said person.
    Such is the nature of Swiss. It's the best way yet conceived, to my mind, on how to handle tournaments with crazy entrant numbers.
  • You know, you people can all play against each other to see.
  • edited May 2013
    I couldn't tell what made someone difficult or not. All my games felt the same. What exactly gives you those feels?
    I could sense their intense mental energy through the Internet, of course. It was just like a manga!

Seriously, though, the main factor was the extent to which they make obvious mistakes. Most of the people I played against made a number of blunders, and I expect the same can be said of your opponents. Of course, to recognize when other people play well, you also need to be able to play well.
    You know, you people can all play against each other to see.
    Indeed. I'm not opposed to that.
  • I approve of this as it results in me getting more GP points.
  • Damn you, people that played against me! Y U NO DO BETTER?!
    The dice hate me, sorry man.
  • Well, I feel like I could have done better - I had those schedule-induced ties with Belliger and REN, and I played poorly in the last game.

Since I didn't post about it earlier, I lost 3-5 to Creamsteak.
    The first round was going slightly my way and I doubled right before Creamsteak got two very lucky rolls and ran away with the game. The next few rounds went back-and-forth with declining doubles, but I got frustrated with what I saw as unlucky dice and got too aggressive, which led to the loss on my part.