This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Strip Search

Comments

• Juliane didn't know what the rapture referred to. It's the first she's ever heard of this (admittedly very silly) Christian misreading of the bible.
  • So question about Maki's comic: Which is more funny? The cereal being left, or the cereal vanishing as well?
  • So question about Maki's comic: Which is more funny? The cereal being left, or the cereal vanishing as well?
    Cereal vanishing as well. It implies the cereal is a person, is holy, is worthy of heaven, etc.
  • I'm happy Maki won. Even though I liked Lexxy's comic and it definitely has a person wanting to know more about that world, it doesn't deliver what Mike and Jerry are looking for.

Maki's strip gave me a good laugh. It definitely could have been better as he stated he should have set it up more, but it was still enjoyable.

I'm happy with the last panel being completely empty.

@Chaos99, I thought it was amusing as well to have Lexxy say all that stuff when her Kickstarter made $80k.

So yeah, the last 3 have 2 wins under their belt. As others have stated, Katie won against two weaker opponents. Her first comic was good, but her second was lackluster. If she continues with her streak of winning elimination challenges it will be her and Abby in the end.

I hope that doesn't happen. I would like to see Abby and Maki in the finals.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm happy Maki won. Even though I liked Lexxy's comic and it definitely has a person wanting to know more about that world, it doesn't deliver what Mike and Jerry are looking for.
    You want to know more about that world? It's the world of Oz. You can spend years learning all about it.
    @Chaos99, I thought it was amusing as well to have Lexxy say all that stuff when her Kickstarter made $80k.
    I'm pretty sure that she started the Kickstarter after Strip Search was done filming. Am I wrong?

I'm curious about one more thing. Do the other Strip Search artists know who won? It could be that Lexxy has known since recording that it was either Abby, Maki or Katie, but did they tell her anything after that? It could be that we now know as much as she does.

I've been trying to think of what craziness is going to happen at the end. I thought for a minute that they might have to go into the elimination challenge against Mike. That can only work if there is some other judge.

Maybe that's a show they can do next. Perhaps partner with Super Art Fight? I would love to see a straight-up single elimination tournament in the Strip Search format where all the artists were pros.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah, it was just funny hearing her say that is what we were saying.

Oh, it's Oz? That's right. I thought she added more to it. I never saw any of the Wizard of Oz stuff, so I didn't know.
  • Yeah, it was just funny hearing her say that is what we were saying.

Oh, it's Oz? That's right. I thought she added more to it. I never saw any of the Wizard of Oz stuff, so I didn't know.
    You should watch The Wizard of Oz. The rest you can ignore unless you get WAY into it.
  • edited June 2013
    I really don't want to though. I know the gist of it. Kansas, tornadoes, witches, water, red shoes, flying monkeys, a group of 4 with a dog all missing something important that they later obtain, short people, and songs.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I really don't want to though. I know the gist of it. Kansas, tornadoes, witches, water, red shoes, flying monkeys, a group of 4 with a dog all missing something important that they later obtain, short people, and songs.
    It's one of the most important movies ever made. I think you can give it an hour and change.
  • It's also hardly like the books and the rest of the world of Oz.

Pseudopod had a good horror story set in Oz not too long ago involving Jack Pumpkinhead.
  • Predicted Lexxy's defeat, but still sad to see her go. But, she Kickstarted because she wanted the time to do comics, so I have faith that we will see positive developments from her Kickstarter. And she has a good relationship with the PA guys so I expect future collabs between them someday.

And I now have no problem saying I want Abby to win, she has been my favorite since the beginning. Can she beat Katie and Maki? I think so.
  • edited June 2013
    Well, I was wrong this time. I'm with the rest of you on Abby being the best bet to win, though.

I wonder how that matchup would have gone if Maki hadn't redrawn "the city".
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Well, I was wrong this time. I'm with the rest of you on Abby being the best bet to win, though.

I wonder how that matchup would have gone if Maki hadn't redrawn "the city", though.
    I was actually thinking he would redraw religion. Was very surprised when he tossed out the city.
  • edited June 2013
    Really? City was so boring. Religion is a good one to work funny stuff out of, although controversial.

His comic was good, but not Abby hilarious or Dino Rollers hilarious.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    Cereal vanishing as well. It implies the cereal is a person, is holy, is worthy of heaven, etc.
    The cereal is just that delicious.

I'm on Team Abby.
  • I thought the concept was they ate the cereal which triggered the rapture. That's fine. But the idea of cereal being rapture'd is pretty swell.
  • So yeah, Monica has recently moved to Seattle. I believe Amy lives there as well and now Alex is moving to Seattle.

Why? Because the Pacific NW is AWESOME!
  • So yeah, Monica has recently moved to Seattle. I believe Amy lives there as well and now Alex is moving to Seattle.

Why? Because the Pacific NW is AWESOME!
    If only Gabe + Tycho grew up in NY instead of Spokane, you would have nothing.
  • edited June 2013
    If only all the New Yorkers lived somewhere other than New York, then New York would still be pretty cool, but we wouldn't have to hear about it all the fucking time. Just ribbing. Be chill. New York is good shit.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Well they would have never met Robert Khoo. So yeah, your argument is invalid. :P
  • Well they would have never met Robert Khoo. So yeah, your argument is invalid. :P
    He comes to New York. We had dinner with him not that long ago.
  • He comes to NYC for business now, but would he have went to New York to approach Mike and Jerry back then to offer his services of awesomeness?
  • He comes to NYC for business now, but would he have went to New York to approach Mike and Jerry back then to offer his services of awesomeness?
    They should have been in New York as well. ;^)
  • Well they weren't. :P

It's just overall amusing seeing 3 of the Strip Search contestants moving here. I wonder why. However, it's also worth nothing that Scott Kurtz of PVP moved here as well from Texas.

Perhaps something about the Pacific NW that makes cartoonists/artists more in their element? :P
  • It's a chill and relatively cheap place to live if you are:

1. Willing to be fairly cut off geographically from the rest of the country
    2. Have a job that is in demand out there
    3. Are OK needing a car to get to many places easily
  • You also forgot:

4. Doesn't smell like urine.
  • You also forgot:

4. Doesn't smell like urine.
    Parts of Seattle reek of urine. Also, Seattle has hobos living in the nooks and crannies that, in a place like New York, are filled with spikes and fences to prevent them from taking root.

• edited June 2013
    If I was going to go to the Pacific NW, I'd just keep on going to Vancouver. I hear that's a nice town.

NYC is cool but not being a city dweller by nature the particulars of it still keep me off balance when i visit. Simple shit like trash sitting on the sidewalks, every surface is dusty and dirty and grimey, tons of different rules for things, claustrophobic density juxtaposed with huge scale of the place and these massive structures: and the sort of overwhelming weight of commerse that fuels it all. Its just kindof hard to process for long when you aren't from it or don't crave it.

Plus the people grow up with different attitudes I must imagine, than those from other areas. Would Gabe/Tycho be who they are, could Penny Arcade have developed, in the Big Apple?

I would imagine Seattle and most of the west coast being a bit more open and laid back and the pace more suitable to someone making likely a modest income from drawing comic strips to live comfortably. Almost nowhere in New England is good for that. The atmosphere forbids it
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Thing is, visitors to New York never really see the open spaces, massive parks, nearby forests and mountains, or nice areas outside of Manhattan.

It's a gritty, massive city, to be sure, but the grit is much tempered outside of the commonly visited parts.
  • Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, WA? Vancouver, WA is only cool because it's close to Oregon to get delicious Voo Doo donuts. It's a nice place, but living around Puget Sound is where it's at in Washington.

Vancouver, BC is a cool city. I need to visit it again.

Yeah, but our mountains are cooler. They're volcanoes. ;^)