This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Strip Search

Comments

• I was surprised he chose Katie, since she seemed to not bring up as much as the others. I think what won her the challenge was probably asking for the extra day and pushing it ahead, taking power away from the evil businessman contract-maker.
    Yea, I felt too that Katie said the least in the challenge, but maybe it was just because of the editing. We didn't see the whole 30 minutes and maybe some good bits from her were left on cutting room.

• Axel: I believe that Katie won the challenge because she did not come off as confrontational as everyone else. Even if it was a bad contract the idea was that they were still trying to get it done. Contacts always tend to come down to pride so humiliating or attacking should have been avoided. Keep it civil people. Even to douche bags =]
  • Note to self: When Khoo tells you he just wants to be your friend, he's lying.

That was actually much more interesting than I thought it would be. The Dinner was also nice. Looking forward to the elimination and then the home stretch.
  • edited May 2013
    Did Mike & Jerry cook that dinner? I thought they were going out to eat at a restaurant, not to a secret apartment.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Did Mike & Jerry cook that dinner? I thought they were going out to eat at a restaurant, not to a secret apartment.
    I don't think they would get permission and/or be able to afford to film at a restaurant.
  • Apreche: No one had accepted the horrible lunchbox contract so Penny-Arcade Inc couldn't afford it. =]
  • Robert is, in person, a funny and friendly dude, though he can definitely be intense.
  • Well, I'm disagreeing with several of you here, but I think Lexxy is going to beat Maki.
  • I certainly hope she does. But I can't believe that empirically.
  • Well, I'm disagreeing with several of you here, but I think Lexxy is going to beat Maki.
    I'm not even going to guess. I can see it going either way. Lexxy can easily fail to Maki the same way she failed to Tavis. Likewise, Maki could easily blow it.
  • edited May 2013
    Oh, I can see it going either way too, but that doesn't stop me from guessing; I'm only very slightly more than 50% confident of a Lexxy win.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I hope that Maki wins and I believe in him. Lexxy is an talented artist, but haven't been too fond of her elimination strips so far. On the stage of humorous comic strips, Maki might be the stronger one.
  • Of the remaining people, I don't really care who wins as long as it isn't Lexxy. The only thing I have against her is that it would appear as PA favoritism because she has a history with them. Other than that, it would be awesome to see any of these four at future PAXs.
  • I believe it was confirmed that all the contestants will be at Prime this year. I know that Monica just moved to Seattle yesterday, and Alex is currently trying to find a place to move to.

I'm excited, because now I can all have them do a sketch in my Panda sketch book.
  • ALL? Because all were not at East.
  • Ok, well for the artists that confirmed on Twitter:

Abby Howard

Then there is this this tweet where Erika Moen says ALL the artists will be at PRIME.
  • Abby going to Heroes AND Montreal? Sounds like she may have won the whole thing. If she is as poor as she says, no way she could afford to do that otherwise.
  • Dude we were poor in college and still managed to get to conventions :-p
  • Dude we were poor in college and still managed to get to conventions :-p
    But we didn't have to buy artist's alley tables. Also, I guess Abby is from Quebec. Didn't realize she was Canadian, so Montreal con makes sense.

• Did you guys all notice how there were names of the artists on the white board in the background?
  • Juliane and I pointed out loads of shit in the background of the offices. The names on the board were from the ping pong tournament.
  • I feel that Lexxy lost to Tavis the first time by a very small margin, and was only eliminated because someone Had to be eliminated. They felt that she was strong enough to come back so much that they broke their own rules to bring her back. Personally, I find winning immunity in a non-art challenge to be kind of bogus.

• I guess the 18th will be the last episode. After tomorrow there will be 3 artists left and four episodes left. I assume those last four episodes will be

boring social challenge
    real challenge
    regular elimination
    FINAL BATTLE
  • Okay, I kept trying to get into this show. I watched 3 more episodes and... nah. It's weird, because this is up my alley, but its too boring.
  • Note to self: When Khoo tells you he just wants to be your friend, he's lying.
    This+.

• Lexxy and Maki? I call it for Maki. He'll pull out a whole new art style with a killer joke, and Lexxy will rely on her black and white line drawings.

Which means that... what out for Lexxy or Maki going home today. I'd put my money on Lexxy.... unless she wins the afternoon challenge. But she won't, despite her professional image. Katie or Maki will win it.
    So my main prediction cam true... or at least the first half....

Maki to win (this challenge)!
    I win the prediction game!

The more I've seen of Lexxy, the less I've liked her. In this episode it was clear Maki blamed Lexxy for losing the morning challenge, but was just too nice to say so. He also showed he was super funny in his banter. I liked his comic, though it could have been funnier. I also liked that he didn't give a shit about offending Christians or anyone.

I think the most important thing is that Maki learned from his previous elimination, and let the reader come to the joke. Lexxy, on the other hand, didn't learn anything. No colour, no big joke, and not very good with banter during the challenge either. If she takes no feedback, thinking she knows better than Mike and Jerry, why work with them for a year? Which is what they pretty much said to her.

All have now won two challenges each, but Maki and Abby have beaten previous winners, and Katie knocked out two of the weakest contestants back at the start of the show. Going by my gut, I say the next one will be Abby vs Katie, with Katie losing, then Abby beating Maki in the final. More sure predictions coming when I've seen the next episode.
  • Luke is right on, Also I love that the last three are my three fav's :-p
  • edited June 2013
    So from YouTube:

Will Templeton 54 minutes ago
    Maki, you used your ticket when you could have had Sects and the City? For shame.

Also, Lexxy saying that she wouldn't get that financial bump from winning the challenge is funny considering how her kickstarter went.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • When it changed to religion and candy I was fully expecting someone to make a joke about transubstantiation. I started to formulate the joke myself, and it looked to me like Maki might be thinking the same thing. I was thinking along the lines of bringing in the catholic priest child molestation + giving candies to children. The idea is that it would come off like the creepy guy on Family Guy everyone hates. Maybe take out the molestation and just have the priest give candy to a normal person instead of a wafer, panel 2 they say tastes like (insert candy here) panel 3 a picture of the candy in the person's body taking the form of a candy Jesus.

There are also potential jokes involving Candy Land and Willy Wonka.

When Maki's comic was done, I was disappointed. It looked like he was making something really great before it was finished. Then in the end I didn't think it was even as funny as what I came up with.

I actually liked the concept of Lexxy's comic better than Maki's joke, but her execution on the storytelling was lame. Especially that last panel really didn't do anything. She didn't necessarily need a joke, but a twist or a reveal would have been enough to win it for her.

At that point I thought both deserved to lose based on the comics they made, so I was just personally glad to see Maki win. It removes any weirdness from the competition in terms of people crying out Lexxy favoritism, and the fact Lexxy "cheated" her way back in doesn't matter anymore either. The integrity of the competition is 100% intact.
  • I quite liked Maki's comic. It took me a while, I read it and then I looked at it and with a slight lag the emptiness of the last panel hit me and I went "Hah!"