This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Strip Search

Comments

• edited May 2013

Edit: Also note that there are nipples in Abby's comic.

Edit: Also that fake out when they told Abby, "I'm sorry, but you're stuck in the house for another day." That's hilarious and fucked up.
    This was the first time they could do that due to it being the first time both contenders were winners and knew the formula.

I also noticed the nipples :)
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Did you also notice their reaction to the fake out? Gabe said they were both great strips, but one was outstanding. Tycho then commented on Tavis's comic being a gamble at high concept art, then they did the fake out. At first Abby thought she was being eliminated and closed her eyes in disappointment. Then during the reveal, Tavis agreed with this body language. Abby let out a sigh of relief, but also looks like she want to curse out at Gabe for the fake out.

I was a doubter at first, but I have this feeling that Abby may just win it all.
  • I think if she gets the right matchups she will. Abby vs. Maki would be tough, because Maki could deadpan humor it all. Amazing deadpan humor vs. amazing direct humor often falls on the side of deadpan being inherently funnier. As much as I really love Lexxy, I could see her losing to Abby. Abby vs. Katie I don't know about, Katie would have to abandon the surreal-ness and go for something more basic.
  • I wonder if at this point, we will see someone actually "play the game" and put in the people they feel are the two strongest, in an attempt to weed out some competition.
  • I wonder if at this point, we will see someone actually "play the game" and put in the people they feel are the two strongest, in an attempt to weed out some competition.
    Don't you think Katie already did that? I do. She picked the two strongest artists to stay in the house, and sent the two strongest cartoonists to the elimination. She's more on the side of cartoonist, so eliminating Tavis means she's now the strongest in areas where before he could have topped her.

Don't you think Katie already did that? I do. She picked the two strongest artists to stay in the house, and sent the two strongest cartoonists to the elimination. She's more on the side of cartoonist, so eliminating Tavis means she's now the strongest in areas where before he could have topped her.
    Hadn't thought of it that way. Touché Mr. Burrage.

• I was a doubter at first, but I have this feeling that Abby may just win it all.
    Yeah, it looks like she has the ability to turn out a hilarious comic every time.
  • edited May 2013
    The only reason I don't see Abby winning is I can't really see her working in the PA office. Tavis and Lexxy were the only ones left I saw as being a good fit there. I guess Abby still fits there better than Maki or Katie. They are just too quiet for that culture.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The only reason I don't see Abby winning is I can't really see her working in the PA office. Tavis and Lexxy were the only ones left I saw as being a good fit there. I guess Abby still fits there better than Maki or Katie. They are just too quiet for that culture.
    I highly disagree. I think Abby is perfect for the PA office. In the series, they mention how they are all full of snark and being smart asses. Abby is like that. Plus I think out of all of them, she would benefit the most. That doesn't mean she should win because of that, but it would be best for her since she's so young and wants to take a year off from school.

• Here are some other home elimination challenge entries I like:

By Blake Blue - @photoroller on twitter

By Alicia S - @superpuzzled on twitter

Disappointingly, almost every other comic is a variation on two or three basic jokes:

1. A cat is driving a car... and cat's cant drive cars!

2. Someone else is driving a car... and they had an accident involving one or more cats!

3. A car that looks like a cat is funny!

This wouldn't be a problem if I found these jokes inherently funny. Unfortunately for Tavis (spoilers!), Mike and Jerry didn't find the idea of traffic accidents involving cats inherently funny either.
  • edited May 2013
    Scavenger hunt. How do you not figure out that that the "Forging holes. Delicious" clue is the doughnut shop you are standing in front of.

I just hope the prize will be filmed or in some extra content.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • TOP POT DOUGHNUTS
  • Oh man that was a fun episode. Abby and Katie were smart in mapping out their route first.

I couldn't believe Lexxy thought that the main stage was the Seattle Center. That shit is a bit far for a scavenger hunt with such short time. They did make it there, which was impressive.

It's a good thing they really didn't choose any local artists because that would have been way too easy for people.

I also want to see the dinner, but I don't think they will.
  • Consider this. One of them could be going to that dinner only to be going home right afterwards.
  • According to poll on the Strip Search site.

37% think the top three will be, the all-lady crew: Lexxy, Abby & Katie
    33% chose Maki, Abby & Katie
    17% are pulling for Maki, Lexxy & Katie
    Only 13% of you predict the final three will be Maki, Lexxy & Abby

In other words

37% think Maki is next to be eliminated
    33% think Lexxy is going down next
    17% think Abby is out next
    13% think Katie is is in trouble.

Katie is really strong, but I think she might actually be in trouble. She went to the elimination stage early on against inferior opposition. Her comics were strong, but not as strong as some we have seen now. Maki, Lexxy, and Abby all have comics that would beat anything she has produced thus far.

I just now realized how much Strip Search reeks of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.
  • Fun episode! Maki was funny as the fat man trying to keep up with Lexxy, but Lexi came off as a bit of a bitch. And then, of course, Maki was super nice about it. I don't think he's got a mean bone in his body, and that might not be too helpful in the long run.

My next prediction (and while I've not been right very often in the past, I'm not going to stop now) goes something like this:

If Maki wins the main challenge, he'll send Lexxy and Katy into the elimination. Katie because she's not been in for ages, and Lexxy because she made him lose the morning challenge. 50/50 on the winner of these two.

If Lexxy wins, she'll spare Katie (because of nice things said yesterday) and send in Abby and Maki. Abby wins.

If Abby wins, she'll save Katie because otherwise it'll seem strange after the great teamwork and dinner with the creators. Lexxy and Maki? I call it for Maki. He'll pull out a whole new art style with a killer joke, and Lexxy will rely on her black and white line drawings.

But, of course, Katie will do what she always does, and win the main challenge. She'll save Abby, due to her going in yesterday and good teamwork and dinner and stuff. As above, I think Maki wins out over Lexxy.

Which means that... what out for Lexxy or Maki going home today. I'd put my money on Lexxy.... unless she wins the afternoon challenge. But she won't, despite her professional image. Katie or Maki will win it.
  • f Lexxy wins, she'll spare Katie (because of nice things said yesterday) and send in Abby and Maki. Abby wins.
    I don't think Abby beating Maki is such a lock-in like you think. If he steps up to this level again, it will be extremely close, but can he do it?

• edited May 2013
    Maki is great, but Abby has greatly surprised and impressed Gabe & Tycho. Her cat comic made Gabe freaking cry from laughter.

In Maki's strip, he smiled and gave a chuckle.

I recently watched the series again and find it amusing that Tycho is wearing a gold chain in every elimination round.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • f Lexxy wins, she'll spare Katie (because of nice things said yesterday) and send in Abby and Maki. Abby wins.
    I don't think Abby beating Maki is such a lock-in like you think. If he steps up to this level again, it will be extremely close, but can he do it?
    I've read a lot of Maki's comics online, and a lot of Abby's too. Abby is consistently very funny. Even Maki's effort above didn't make me laugh out loud. I know he's got amazing art skills in him, but so far funny has beaten pretty every single time.
    I've read a lot of Maki's comics online, and a lot of Abby's too. Abby is consistently very funny. Even Maki's effort above didn't make me laugh out loud. I know he's got amazing art skills in him, but so far funny has beaten pretty every single time.
    This is true. It is, after all, strip search. It's not graphic novel search. Writing and humor is far more important than art when it comes to strips. See: XKCD, early Penny Arcade, etc.
  • I'm not knocking Maki. I think he could win against Lexxy, given good topics and Lexxy not doing anything new artistically. Hissingle strip was funnier than both of Katie's strips too, though it'd be a close call in both cases. Against Abby? It turns out Abby is a laugh-out-loud-funny strip machine. The challenge format fits her skills perfectly, and both times she's been sitting picking her nails, waiting for time to run out, her comic finished and pretty much as perfect as it could be. Maki could have improved his comic with an extra 5 minutes, fixing the hand, placing the text better, or simply re-writing the clunky text in the middle panel.
  • Just realized there is a Spoilers tab on the page that shows the art everyone did in the challenges like "Sketch for Money" or "Clay creations". It shows today's episode of all the drawings they did on the scavenger hunt.
  • Just realized there is a Spoilers tab on the page that shows the art everyone did in the challenges like "Sketch for Money" or "Clay creations". It shows today's episode of all the drawings they did on the scavenger hunt.
    Yeah, I only found out about it around ten episodes in. Sometimes the episode doesn't really give you the chance to look at the art properly.
  • New episode!
  • They're doing the next elimination in the morning. That means that nobody goes to dinner eliminated. It also means that the next day isn't going to be normal. The final 3 will probably be in some sort of tournament showdown. Maybe the final 2 will get hours to produce comics instead of 90 minutes?

• My next prediction (and while I've not been right very often in the past, I'm not going to stop now) goes something like this:

But, of course, Katie will do what she always does, and win the main challenge. She'll save Abby, due to her going in yesterday and good teamwork and dinner and stuff.

Lexxy and Maki? I call it for Maki. He'll pull out a whole new art style with a killer joke, and Lexxy will rely on her black and white line drawings.

Which means that... what out for Lexxy or Maki going home today. I'd put my money on Lexxy.... unless she wins the afternoon challenge. But she won't, despite her professional image. Katie or Maki will win it.
    So my main prediction cam true... or at least the first half. I still think Lexxy is going home. Mike and Jerry must have seen the footage or heard the reports of how she's been over the previous few episodes, and she's coming across as way too cold and businesslike, but not in a good way, but as someone playing the part of someone who is businesslike. The fact she bossed Maki around without a plan and made them lose is going to go against her, as is her manner with Robert, someone she should have been warmer with due to the fact she knows him pretty well.

Maki to win (this challenge)!
  • Katie winning another elimination challenge! I feel that's one of her saving graces.

I feel if she went against Abby or Maki, she would have a good chance of loosing in the elimination round.

I thought Maki did the best job overall dealing with Khoo. I kept laughing throughout the entire episode. I bet Khoo was just enjoying that trolling.

I feel Maki will edge out Lexxy in this elimination round.

Also: DAT GIANT YOSHI. O_O

• Also: DAT GIANT YOSHI. O_O
    People in the gaming industry seem to have the coolest offices/cubicles.

• I was surprised he chose Katie, since she seemed to not bring up as much as the others. I think what won her the challenge was probably asking for the extra day and pushing it ahead, taking power away from the evil businessman contract-maker.

I do suspect Maki will defeat Lexxy, unfortunately. But such is life.