This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Strip Search

Comments

• Thing is, visitors to New York never really see the open spaces, massive parks, nearby forests and mountains, or nice areas outside of Manhattan.

It's a gritty, massive city, to be sure, but the grit is much tempered outside of the commonly visited parts.
    I think the key is not that they don't see green. Tourists almost always go to Central Park. They're also very likely to see Union Square, Washington Square, or Madison Square.

What the key problem is that tourists only see a very small part of NYC. NYC IS HUGE. Most tourists only ever see from 59th street to Battery Park without going more than one or two blocks East or West from Broadway. They see zero Brooklyn, Zero Queens, Zero Bronx, and Zero Staten Island. I would say that a few adventurous tourists might take the 7 train to Corona Park, but I've never seen one there except for during Maker Faire or a Mets game.

You can't really understand NYC unless you really go all over. It takes a long time. I live here, and I'm still discovering new things. There is hidden shit everywhere. Just weeks ago we discovered Owls Head Park and the path under the Belt Parkway. It's stunningly green and amazing, and only locals are there.

• Yeah, but our mountains are cooler. They're volcanoes. ;^)
    You mean "hotter" right?

• No. They have snow on it. So it's cooler.
  • I would go to Vancouver, BC. The real one. Not the imposter Vancouver.
  • As with all conversations it has now gone to how awesome New York is.
  • I knew they'd do something special when it was down to three artists.
  • Oooooooooohhhhhhhh shits.
  • I guess we're not getting anything next Tuesday.
    I could see two possibilities for content on Tuesday:
    a) Outtakes
    b) Clip show
    I could see two possibilities for content on Tuesday:
    a) Outtakes
    b) Clip show
    Booourns. This thing is already kind of anti-climactic. The finals had better be crazy go nuts.

• I guess it's boring if you don't want to see what these Artists can do with an reasonable amount of time. You guys Especially Scott were complaining about the challenges not being artistry enough. Now you are bored that it isn't draw a strip over a pool of sharks with lazers? I'm happy myself.
  • I guess it's boring if you don't want to see what these Artists can do with an reasonable amount of time. You guys Especially Scott were complaining about the challenges not being artistry enough. Now you are bored that it isn't draw a strip over a pool of sharks with lazers? I'm happy myself.
    There are ways to make it art and also a compelling show at the same time.
  • There is only one way this could end....SUPER ART FIGHT!
  • My reaction to the latest episode, Aww hell yeah! What better way to pick who is the best comic artist than having them make a whole new comic? Even though only one person can win, no artist will come away from this experience empty handed. This is a feel good competition/"reality" show that will have a feel good ending.
  • I think this is the best. With every person eliminated, they were getting tips on how to continue after Strip Search, how to push themselves. Now, with the final challenge, they've forced each artist to think about where they want to go and work at it.

If you don't think seeing each of their greatest ideas is compelling, I don't know what you find interesting.
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah at this point each artist left has essentially won: one will get the über prize of working at the PA studio on it, but the rest will be doing their thing on their own, and with a lot of exposure.

Also from what we saw in the montage, these kids have been making some epic work.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • edited June 2013
    Tickets for the final screening up at noon! That's where the original PAX was.

I think I may attend this.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Tickets for the final screening up at noon! That's where the original PAX was.

I think I may attend this.
    The winner will almost definitely be there.
  • edited June 2013
    And tickets purchased! Oh yeah.

Well it was stated that all 3 finalists will be there. Oh mans. I got plans. I was making something cool, but stopped. Now I need to finish.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I wish they had showed more of the books and comics that were on the artist's shelves, back at home. From what I saw, Maki seems to be a big Mike Mignola Helloby/BPRD fan. Abbey had a couple of Clive Barker novels on her shelf, and Katie, from the brief shot they had, has a bunch of Image Comics, which from the binding, looks maybe like Powers. It's a little scary that I can identify certain comics just from the trade dress, but I guess that's good branding.
  • I wish they had showed more of the books and comics that were on the artist's shelves, back at home. From what I saw, Maki seems to be a big Mike Mignola Helloby/BPRD fan. Abbey had a couple of Clive Barker novels on her shelf, and Katie, from the brief shot they had, has a bunch of Image Comics, which from the binding, looks maybe like Powers. It's a little scary that I can identify certain comics just from the trade dress, but I guess that's good branding.
    I have the same identifying powers as you, my friend.
  • Cool episode!

Now I have seen Maki's comic skills... holy shit, he's a genius. I don't know how easily he can knock out strips like those, but the art is amazing. The t-shirt design is super iconic too. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the name. It's a huge departure from his current strip, in a really good way.

Abby's comic looks a bit quirky, and I hope each strip is as funny as her current comics and her elimination comics. However, as this challenge is about creating a long running project, I think her youth and inexperience might work against her.

Katie's work looked okay, but I didn't see much of it. That's a pity, as she seemed to be saying she was doing something interesting.

From what we saw, I think Maki is the strongest, but it's impossible to say due to the editing.

My prediction:

The first part of the finale will be them explaining their ideas to the creators.

The second part of the finale will be them picking topics (like the usual elimination challenges) and then writing a whole new strip with their existing characters and art styles. They'll get a bit longer, maybe 2 hours, to see if they can keep up the output to a high standard under pressure.

Abby or Maki wins.

My gripes:

You'd think that after two months off, they'd have had enough time to look through the footage and know to TELL THE CAMERA OPERATORS TO GET SHIT IN FOCUS!!!
  • Sooo, no new episode tomorrow? Recap episode?
  • I hope it will catch up with some of the losers in the hotel/not in the house.
  • I hope it will catch up with some of the losers in the hotel/not in the house.
    That would be great.
  • NeoNeo
    edited June 2013
    The guys producing the show (Bionic Trousers / LoadingReadyRun) tweeted that there will be no "filler" episodes, the remaining episodes will be all new content. Also, on their podcast someone asked a similar question about catching up with those who had been eliminated and said that was not done for 2 reasons: it would've required another camera crew (which they didn't have) and the show isn't about "the eliminated" it is about the strip the creators were searching for.
    Post edited by Neo on
  • Will they also answer questions on why they couldn't find a camera crew who knew how to focus a damn camera?
  • My top elimination comics so far:

Funny, good art and concept.

Funny, nice references.

Also funny, contains two punchlines in one panel.

Funnier without any text at all, but still good even with the clumsy English.

I like how many funny bits are included along with the main joke, like the bra on the head at the end.

Very funny again, with my favourite single character of any elimination comic so far (the cat). Also: nipples.

Probably the single most polished elimination strip of any (except maybe Tavis's second). The fact that the main joke isn't super funny is alleviated by the many other funny bits: The name of the cereal, the fact this is "new" Jesus, the crosses on the cereal in the closeup at the top, all of the details of Jesus, the fact the kid says "sweet" and that ties in with the candy theme, the bowl being empty at the end too.