This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Hype Thread

Comments

• Churba said:

What about Brock?

He's originally Japanese(or the Pokemon world equivalent) just like Ash and Misty are meant to be. I'm pretty sure he's some sort of stereotype of a Japanese area, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.
    Probably Okinawan. They tend to be a lot darker than mainland Japanese.
  • I was excited about what Tom Clancy's The Division could be. The beta footage looks like it will be underdelivering.

Another Destiny.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I was excited about what Tom Clancy's The Division could be. The beta footage looks like it will be underdelivering.

Another Destiny.

I dunno, the gameplay videos I've seen seem rather alright. At the very least, pretty much exactly what they were selling at the last E3 and so on.
  • edited January 2016
    The E3 demos seemed abit more sophisticated in terms of strategy and the 'world systems'. AI seems incredibly stupid, and bullets don't seem to do much.

The graphics have definitely been downgraded.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Graphics in games will basically always be downgraded. It's just a reality of development, because optimization can't occur until the end of development, so that's when graphics are most likely to be stripped down.
  • XCOM 2 digital deluxe baby. I am hype.
  • edited January 2016

XCOM 2 digital deluxe baby. I am hype.

Want it so bad.
    Super expensive over here at the moment.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • XCOM 2 digital deluxe baby. I am hype.

I know suuuper hyped over this one. Strangely more so over the customisation abilities that are coming with it.
  • Yay, XCOM2! A game to make the Steam Sale relevant after I buy Fallout 4 complete edition for $10.
  • pence said:
    That's according to a couple of sources close to Nintendo, who have shared the word via Twitter and Reddit.
    Yep, I believe it!
  • While the rest of the world is busy playing Street Fighter 5, I keep waiting for the true king of the fighting game genre.

• It's coming soon, don't worry.
  • I got up today, super excited to play SUPERHOT, but it doesn't unlock until 3 pm :(
  • I'd forgotten about that game until I saw reviews for it today. I'll probably end up getting it.
  • SUPERHOT is still not out. I guess the devs are having some troubles.
  • edited February 2016

SUPERHOT is still not out. I guess the devs are having some troubles.

Why does nobody ever learn this lesson? Announce AFTER you release, not before.

Apple does it right. "By the way, all the stuff we just announced is already on the shelf in the Apple Store. Your iOS and OSX updated themselves while I was talking. Deal with it."
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

SUPERHOT is still not out. I guess the devs are having some troubles.

Why does nobody ever learn this lesson? Announce AFTER you release, not before.
    Apple didn't do that from the beginning. They can only do it now because everyone is already paying attention. They have no need for ad campaigns and marketing to build hype, it happens on its own.
  • My guild is wicked hyped about The Division, but it seems like it's just a less space-fantasy and more post-modern sci-fi Destiny than anything else. I don't get it.
  • My guild is wicked hyped about The Division, but it seems like it's just a less space-fantasy and more post-modern sci-fi Destiny than anything else. I don't get it.

Nelson and I gave it some time during the last beta, and I played in the first beta, we're both pretty hot on it. He was pretty hesitant for much the same reason, initially.

It's a bit hard to say much, without knowing what you mean to say by calling it destiny-like, though, there's more than one way to take that.
  • Destiny-like: story becomes absent or meaningless, game becomes a grind for loot and boring despite tight mechanics and UI. Bosses are bullet sponges and samey. You only have a small chance at good gear from raiding, which can take a LOT of time that guys like me don't have. Small, samey levels.
  • edited February 2016
    In that case:

No - from what I've seen, the story is present from go to woah, with extra nuggets of story hidden around the city, as well as many side-missions being more story). The single-player/co-op PVE, they definitely want to tell a story, more than make a grind game.

Hard to say but I don't think so - Again, story more than grind, and the closest you get to a loot-grind is Darkzone, which is some pretty tense PVPVE stuff. You also seem to have a pretty good chance at good gear - I had legendary loot in the first beta, and lack of time to play more than two sessions(one very short) is the only reason I didn't get any in the second - And I still ended up with gear that was one step below legendary anyway. Was also getting pretty sweet stuff just from random drops, darkzone, and missions. Vendors carry level-appropriate goods, which can include rares and legendaries. You can also craft rare stuff, I'm told, but the crafting system wasn't in the beta, so I don't have first-hand experience.

You do shoot a lot of numbers out of dudes though, and when they run out of numbers they fall over.

The levels are not small, or samey - it's basically a large chunk of Manhattan. The closest you get to small levels is contaminated areas outside of the darkzone, which are small challenges with things like "race against the clock to activate all the buttons" or "Survive X waves of dudes", and so on.

Not many bosses in either beta - Only saw two, total - but they don't seem to be horribly bullet spongey. Enough to differentiate them from other mobs and make them feel like a challenge, but not enough to be annoying. They follow the same rules as other mobs - they have armor, and health. Armor goes down slower, health goes down fast. Headshots hurt them real bad, and the seem to have weak points to speed things up, but again, only saw two.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • New Master of Orion!

But it's from the people that brought you World of Tanks.

FUCK
  • Tomorrow Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow will be in the eShop.

The big news is that these are modified versions that let you put Pokmeon in the Pokemon Bank! This means you can get Pokemon from Red/Blue and bring them into Sun/Moon. Fuck yeah!

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnzH2C6Cr4
  • World of Tanks is one of the most popular F2P games. So I'm not that concerned.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2016
    It's also a shit pay-to-win game.

Edit: and possibly a money laundering scheme.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited February 2016
    http://gamerant.com/world-of-tanks-pay-to-win/ Apparently they are getting rid of the pay to win aspect? Or considering the article is from 3 years ago they did a while ago.

Also I know my gaming group is REALLY into these games, I doubt they would be if you just had to play money.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Cremlian said:

http://gamerant.com/world-of-tanks-pay-to-win/ Apparently they are getting rid of the pay to win aspect? Or considering the article is from 3 years ago they did a while ago.

Sort of - they changed it up. Previously, there was stuff you just couldn't get if you didn't pay money. Now, you can get every tank for free, it's just that the grind-wall is incredibly high. And you can still just straight up buy tanks instead of grinding for them. Not to mention the premium membership, which cuts the grind in half.
  • Also note that they are publishing the game not developing and it's not going to be free to play.