This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Russia's more fascist than communist now.
  • Greg said:

I'm going to miss Biden. Not so much the actual Joe Biden as the Joe Biden that The Onion gave us. None of those jokes work with Tim Kaine.

I think The Onion's gonna be able to do just fine with Kaine:

• edited July 2016
    In other news, here's your regular reminder that Scott Adams is absolutely barking mad.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Apparently he has a disclaimer on his website saying that he endorsed Hillary Clinton, but only because he fears he would be murdered if he didn't. WTF
  • chaosof99 said:

Apparently he has a disclaimer on his website saying that he endorsed Hillary Clinton, but only because he fears he would be murdered if he didn't. WTF

Yes, I believe this was discussed a few pages back. Yes, WTF.
  • Scott Adams being crazy isn't exactly breaking news.
  • edited July 2016
    chaosof99 said:

Apparently he has a disclaimer on his website saying that he endorsed Hillary Clinton, but only because he fears he would be murdered if he didn't. WTF

I must admit, I like that bit at the end of the post, it's such bollocks.

"Oh, my views don't align with either candidate, and I don't vote to maintain objectivity. By the way have you read my series of posts about the Greater Wizard Hypothesis and how if trump does something wrong, it's actually just that you're too dumb to understand how amazingly right about everything he is. Sleep tight readers don't let the feeeeeemales suck out your precious testosterone with their evil speeches on tv."

Other news - The trump subreddit had an AMA with the tangerine goblin himself, and are currently going apeshit and calling for Steve Huffman's resignation as CEO of Reddit for "Censoring" the AMA, since it had enough upvotes to make it to the front page, but wasn't present. Why not? Because they Stickied it, and stickied posts are automatically excluded from the front page.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I find Scott Adams' sexism strange mostly because Alice in Dilbert is such a well written strong woman.
  • Naoza said:

I'm imagining he's the scary old guy we're all terrified will vote in an angry beaver with a bad toupee. He's not a terrible person, just uninformed and unwilling to do anything about it.

When one allows oneself to become uninformed and unwilling to become informed and one's actions/inaction based on same directly or indirectly hurt others, then it doesn't matter how well intentioned or nice a person may be. It is a choice, like all other things. A person may not go around kicking puppies, but if they contribute to the defunding of Planned Parenthood they are contributing to the transmittal of HIV/AIDS. If they vote for those who would scale back welfare programs, they are starving Americans of all ages. If they do not support more equitable taxation of the rich, then they are depriving the American people (particularly the poor, minorities, women, children, and the elderly) of necessary services. When I look at puppy kickers v. Republicans, I would actually prefer a puppy kicker - the puppy might survive, the poor and under-served Americans may not.

EDIT: To be fair to your father, at least when you present him with evidence and information, he doesn't ignore it.

I can't disagree with anything you've said. I can clarify, it's not so much he's unwilling to do anything to get informed, it's that he's unwilling to do anything other than watch FOX and CNN. In his universe of accountants on wall-street, that's acceptable.
  • I can't disagree with anything you've said, Kate Monster. I can clarify, it's not so much he's unwilling to do anything to get informed, it's that he's unwilling to do anything other than watch FOX and CNN. In his universe of accountants on wall-street, that's acceptable.

As a result, it feels like he just lives in a different world with different facts and norms. A world, at least partially, perpetuated by the "mainstream media".
  • Naoza said:

I can't disagree with anything you've said, Kate Monster. I can clarify, it's not so much he's unwilling to do anything to get informed, it's that he's unwilling to do anything other than watch FOX and CNN. In his universe of accountants on wall-street, that's acceptable.

As a result, it feels like he just lives in a different world with different facts and norms. A world, at least partially, perpetuated by the "mainstream media".

It's not your responsibility to get him to break away from that limited and skewed view of the world (and to be fair, we all have a limited and skewed view of the world based on our own limitations, cultures, and experiences), but have you tried to introduce him to new and more varied news sources?

• I surely have, and he reads everything I send him, provided I don't overwhelm him with volume. He just never takes any initiative after I've opened his eyes on a topic and just watches fox again the next day, and after enough time has passed he slips back into older, more evil views I thought I'd dispelled.
  • My new hobby is watching Scott Adams get Roasted in 140 characters or less.

• Seriously though, WTF is wrong with Scott Adams?
  • He could learn making wrong predictions look good from Bill Kristol :-p
  • Seriously though, WTF is wrong with Scott Adams?

My best read is that women he wants to have sex with won't have sex with him.

That seems to be the root of it all.
  • Rym said:

Seriously though, WTF is wrong with Scott Adams?

My best read is that women he wants to have sex with won't have sex with him.

That seems to be the root of it all.
    He's like the Model T of GamerGaters/MRAs.
  • Is there a political party or organization dedicated to enacting a new voting system?
  • Greg said:

Is there a political party or organization dedicated to enacting a new voting system?

The Democrats generally. but you'd have to look at the state parties to see who's playing around with the voting system. If any of them work particularly well. The Democrats will start pushing for them on a federal level.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/idea-must-die-election-edition/

They discuss briefly some of the alt systems people are trying to get implemented.

THIS IS HORRIFYING.
  • Cremlian said:

Greg said:

Is there a political party or organization dedicated to enacting a new voting system?

The Democrats generally. but you'd have to look at the state parties to see who's playing around with the voting system. If any of them work particularly well. The Democrats will start pushing for them on a federal level.

They discuss briefly some of the alt systems people are trying to get implemented.
    Why would Democrats work against the system that gives them their power?
  • https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonpartisan_blanket_primary

A small step in the right direction, I think. Three states are on board and no one is crying foul in California yet.

Akagi/Ikari 2016
  • malzraa said:

Akagi/Ikari 2016
    We need someone willing to stand up against SEELE!
  • Greg said:

Cremlian said:

Greg said:

Why would Democrats work against the system that gives them their power?
    I think that Scott is talking about fixing and impeding inequities and inefficiencies in the current 'voting' system and Greg is asking about a multi-party system, yes/no?
  • Bernie or Bust slacktivists are saying Facebook is censoring anti-Clinton posts.

Can we instate a rule that if your movement can be crippled by Facebook it's not a movement?
  • From FiveThrityEight's forecast. This is the Now-cast so it's the most volatile and reactionary, but still, that jump!

• Trump's got 100 more days to remind everyone that he's a low grade Hitler.