This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• Trump is now campaigning on "What have you left to lose" in order to convince black voters for him. Not only is there a lot to lose, I don't think that is the kind of slogan that should convince anyone to entrust someone with their sociopolitical future.
  • edited August 2016
    Putting Donald Trump Supporters Through an Ideology Test on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah http://on.cc.com/2b5IW5u
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Trump is not trying to attract black voters. Just white voters who need a little something so they can support him and continue to tell themselves they aren't racist.
  • I mean that's probably a good idea, even if it ruins everyone's jokes.
  • edited August 2016
    Daikun said:
    From what I understand, it isn't really that bad that his businesses have accumulated so much debt. Lots of businesses do and work themselves out of it and it is often calculated risk to do so.

The problem is more that due to this debt he is beholden to his debtors, and unlike other presidential candidates these assets will be managed by his children if he assumes the public role which represents a GIGANTIC conflict of interests for Trump. It is also supremely hypocritical of Trump and the GOP to paint Hillary as the "Wall Street candidate" when Trump is in a far worse position in that regard. Hillary was paid by Wall Street while Trump still has to pay Wall Street.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • And that Trumps campaign has gathered a lot of favor because he says he's "self funded" and "doesnt have to answer to anyone," which is obviously false if he is so deep in debt..
  • Bachman is his foreign policy advisor, Brownback is on his finance committee.

HOW IS THIS REAL
  • Michelle Bachman is on Trump's staff? :fearful:
  • I'm enjoying the spectacle of this as much as I fear how real it truly is.
  • I hope this jackass loses his certification.
  • Can't cure stupid.

I thought the cure for 'stupid' was education. Some people be walking around diagnosed but can't afford treatment.
  • edited August 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

Can't cure stupid.

I thought the cure for 'stupid' was education. Some people be walking around diagnosed but can't afford treatment.
    Some people diagnosed, but refusing treatment. (To me, stupid = willfully ignorant, rather than uneducated)
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Knowledge and intelligence are vastly different.
  • Intelligence is all about capacity.

But even someone lacking intelligence can possess curiosity, empathy, and will. I'll take a deeply unintelligent person who tries hard and wants to be better any day over a reddit atheist who knows everything in the world.
  • Rym said:

Intelligence is all about capacity.

But even someone lacking intelligence can possess curiosity, empathy, and will. I'll take a deeply unintelligent person who tries hard and wants to be better any day over a reddit atheist who knows everything in the world.

• edited August 2016
    I stole this map from another forum. Dark colors indicate >90% certain, light color >75% certain to go for that party according to 538.com, and the rest is bronze. I mean it is a good thing that it is all but decided but jeez.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Uh... 538 has a map. So that one is just a reskin?

They have it at 80-20 right now. Not exactly close, but not really all-but-decided either.
  • The point was to illustrate how far ahead Hillary is at the moment. Trump would have to run the table on all the bronze states.
  • They're correlated, though. If Trump wins Pennsylvania, he probably won Ohio and Virginia too. So it's not like "coin flip * 10 states, have to win them all" to win.
  • It's not all but decided. It looks dire now, but there's still plenty of race to run - at this point, Trump can still get back in the game. The race could very well tighten over time.
  • In any other election I would say it's all but decided, but the shifts this season have been so dramatic and swift I hesitate to predict anything.
  • The issue with Trump right now is for a Presidential campaign his organization is terrible.

States like Georgia should not be in-play.
  • Churba said:

It's not all but decided. It looks dire now, but there's still plenty of race to run - at this point, Trump can still get back in the game. The race could very well tighten over time.

I was going to say something but then I remember 2004. America can be dumb like that. Let's hope that dumb does not become evil over time.
  • Erwin said:

Churba said:

It's not all but decided. It looks dire now, but there's still plenty of race to run - at this point, Trump can still get back in the game. The race could very well tighten over time.

I was going to say something but then I remember 2004. America can be dumb like that. Let's hope that dumb does not become evil over time.
    I've heard the 2004 election characterized as: "Not wanting to change horses in mid-stream." That kind of mentality favors the incumbent party more.

The good new is the 2020 election will be the first election where the majority of voters are not Boomers.
  • Greg said:

In any other election I would say it's all but decided, but the shifts this season have been so dramatic and swift I hesitate to predict anything.

I'm curious about your thinking. We have a gold standard: 538.

Nate Silver says Hillary has an 80% chance to win, so I predict she has an 80% chance to win.

It's not perfect, but unless someone has pretty compelling arguments as to how their model is better, that prediction is not really meaningful.
  • While I'm no expert and I'm not gonna say it's a foolproof method. Wouldn't it be a decent idea to go with the actual for cash money betting odds in places where betting on the US presidential election is allowed?
  • Naoza said:

While I'm no expert and I'm not gonna say it's a foolproof method. Wouldn't it be a decent idea to go with the actual for cash money betting odds in places where betting on the US presidential election is allowed?

Betting odds can have a sense of "herding" and like to overly favor distant underdogs; I'm more inclined to trust Nate Silver's willingness to stick to his model.
  • Naoza said:

While I'm no expert and I'm not gonna say it's a foolproof method. Wouldn't it be a decent idea to go with the actual for cash money betting odds in places where betting on the US presidential election is allowed?

Betting odds can have a sense of "herding" and like to overly favor distant underdogs; I'm more inclined to trust Nate Silver's willingness to stick to his model.
    Wouldn't that suggest there's money to be made here? Anything overly favored when money is on the line is an opportunity.