This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I also wouldn't try it on a really new car, as I'm entirely ignorant as to whether or not these things still work on them.
    That depends on a lot of things, for example, how new the car is, what make and model, so on - but a lot of new cars do have barriers that prevent you getting the slim-jim into the lock workings, or Lock rods that are made to easily detach if you use any lifting force on them with a slim-jim, thus rendering the lock absolutely inoperable. I'd ask your mechanic, or an automotive locksmith if you can find one.
  • I just keep an extra key on my house key keyring.
    I've never personally locked my keys inside of a car. But other people have locked my keys inside of my car and their keys inside of their cars. I only keep one keyring, with every key I could possibly need (including my RSA key), on my person at all times. I leave a similar set in my house, and give copies of my house keys to several friends.

It's impossible to lock your keys in your car unless you have very bad key discipline.
  • It's impossible to lock your keys in your car unless you have very bad key discipline.
    Obvious statement is obvious. ^_~
  • It's impossible to lock your keys in your car unless you have very bad key discipline.
    What if you have a wily pet dog that constantly gets you into crazy hi-jinks?
    What if you have a wily pet dog that constantly gets you into crazy hi-jinks?
    Then you live in sitcom land. ^_^
  • Locked Keys in Car. At least my brother will visit and we can eat, so it isn't a total waste. Still, it's what happens when you take out stinky garbage no one else THINKS about taking out.
    Do you have AAA or another roadside service?
    I used to lock my keys in my car all the time when I first started driving. It was never a big problem because I have AAA. For this reason and many others, AAA is well worth their reasonable yearly fee. I can use it for any vehicle (whether I own it or not) so long as I am with them to present my card.
    It was at my apartment complex, so I just called my brother who had a spare key to come over. But apparently where I live is in the middle of fucking nowhere and can't be located on a GPS. But, he found me and we got to eat.

Which leads to Fail #2: Ate at Italian Restaurant I've never gone to before. Food was okay, but it was really salty. The atmosphere felt kind of pretentious and weird because me and my brother were the only ones there. The food cost way too much to.

But hey, now I know.
    Locked Keys in Car.
    Oooh. I have a new geek fable which I don't believe we ever shared on the show. It involvessomeonelocking my keys in my running car, already parked illegally in a handicapped space and almost out of gas late at night... ^_~
    Do spin us another yarn, Glorious Rym. :3
  • I just carry one of these: (pics)
    Good ol' fashioned wire hanger works for me and a friend when she locked her keys in the car...several times.
  • edited October 2009
    Posted By: RymI just carry one of these: (pics)If you are going through the troubles of carrying one of those, I'd recommend you learn how to pick a lock, with the correct (and really small) tools, it becomes a trivial task with a better success rate and less chances to permanently damage the car.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • with the correct (and really small) tools
    A slim-jim is a perfectly valid and correct method of opening a car lock. Why bother picking the lock when you can just slim it? Save the picks for when you can't use a Slim.
  • with the correct (and really small) tools
    A slim-jim is a perfectly valid and correct method of opening a car lock. Why bother picking the lock when you can just slim it? Save the picks for when you can't use a Slim.
    Less chances of scratching the window, dislodging the window trimming or rendering the lock inoperable. With a lock pick is just a couple of runs on each side and presto, like it never happened, specially since almost no one puts safety locks on their car doors.
  • Less chances of scratching the window, dislodging the window trimming or rendering the lock inoperable
    If you know what you're doing, you shouldn't do any of these things.
  • Whatever sickness I got has caused a lingering earache in one of my ears, which was so intense last night it kept waking me up. This is karma.
  • Whatever sickness I got has caused a lingering earache in one of my ears, which was so intense last night it kept waking me up. This is karma.
    Sounds like an ear infection, you need to get it looked at immediately.
    Sounds like an ear infection, you need to get it looked at immediately.
    Said ache has entirely disappeared. I'm going to call my doctor, but I'm a bit perplexed as to how all this is occurring.
  • The other day I got poison ivy in the two worst places I could possibly get it. It's unbelievably uncomfortable, not to mention quite unsightly. The doctor prescribed me some Prednisone, and while I think it's going to be worth it, it is making me as jittery as a hungry lightweight with a latte.
  • edited October 2009
    The other day I got poison ivy in the two worst places I could possibly get it.
    If that is exactly where I think it is, you have my immense sympathies.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2009
    You're probably right on target.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • You're probably right on target.
    Also, you have my promise that I'm not going to ask how the hell you got poison ivy where I'm thinking you have poison ivy.
  • edited October 2009
    I drink a lot of water and go on very long walks in the woods.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • The other day I got poison ivy in the two worst places I could possibly get it. It's unbelievably uncomfortable, not to mention quite unsightly.
    You have my sympathies. I've most likely had it in the same places, as well as everywhere else -- I'm incredibly sensitive to poison ivy/oak/whatever. It super sucks.
  • I'm cringing right now. Sympathy pain is a bitch.
  • The other day I got poison ivy in the two worst places I could possibly get it.
    Inside the urethra? Remember, there is worst, and then there is worst. ^_~
  • The other day I got poison ivy in the two worst places I could possibly get it.
    Inside the urethra? Remember, there is worst, and then there isworst. ^_~
    That sucks dude.

Story time: An intern at work was HYPER sensitive to poison ivy. One year, he decided to burn the area behind his house infected with the weed. Come to find out the fire just aerosolized the toxic oils and he got it in parts of his lungs, nasal cavity, mouth and throat. He then spent the rest of the summer in a hospital.
  • Poison ivy is teh suck. Worst plant ever.

If you can remember to always carry a slim-jim around, why don't you just always carry an extra car key where you would carry the slim-jim? I suppose it would be useful in case of other people's unfortunate mistakes, but not many people carry a tool around with them just in case other people might need it.
  • Poison ivy is teh suck. Worst plant ever.

If you can remember to always carry a slim-jim around, why don't you just always carry an extra car key where you would carry the slim-jim? I suppose it would be useful in case of other people's unfortunate mistakes, but not many people carry a tool around with them just in case other people might need it.
    Seriously. The only tools I could be bothered to carry on my person are a Leatherman and a Jericho.
  • If you can remember to always carry a slim-jim around, why don't you just always carry an extra car key where you would carry the slim-jim? I suppose it would be useful in case of other people's unfortunate mistakes
    That's exactly why I carry it. It's in my trunk, along with a jack, various tools, jumper cables, and, in the winter, a wool blanket. I wouldn't carry it on my person, as I would never lock my own keys in my car.
  • That's fairly reasonable. I need to get a large wool blanket for my car. Keep forgetting that one.
  • Disney Fail...Baby Einstein videos are snake oil, and may have actually had detrimental effects. I'm glad they finally confirmed this. People need to stop thinking there is an easy way to make their kids awesome with no parental involvement.
  • Woke up with my shoulder in horrid pain. I really don't know what to do. My best guess is that it's a pinched nerve.
  • Disney Fail...Baby Einstein videos are snake oil, and may have actually had detrimental effects. I'm glad they finally confirmed this. People need to stop thinking there is an easy way to make their kids awesome with no parental involvement.
    GASP, I never saw this coming :-p