This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Other Podcasts (or, why GeekNights is #2)

edited February 2007 in GeekNights
We all know GeekNights is #2. (Who could dethrone 12 Byzantine Emperors?) But why is that? Surely, the other podcasters have a lot of explaining to do.

This is the official thread for complaining about other podcasts, and, if you like, giving props to GeekNights (which isn't strictly necessary, considering you do that just by being here).

For my part, I'll stick only to podcasts I know.

Dave & Joel's Fast Karate for the Gentleman: personally, I find this show hilarious. It's as informative as GeekNights on the subject of anime. (I consider opinions, trivia, and random musings to be informative; the facts and figures on anime can be easily had elsewhere). However, these poor bastards need to get some fricking sound equipment! Their volume levels suck, their microphone discipline is terrible, and altogether the show sounds worse than the GeekNights beta podcasts on the unequalized condenser mike. I'll give them the lack of an opener or closer, should they choose to make that their thing, but GeekNights definitely benefits from its audio clips (opener, Things of the Day, closer), which I might add, are tastefully short, unlike certain other tech podcasts.

This Week in Tech: *the* thing in podcasting, until they changed the name to netcasting. I was entertained for a while, until I noticed a trend: nobody on this show knows what the hell they're talking about! They're just musing on current events in tech and making wild, unfounded predictions, such as the total failure of the Intel Mac, the success of the Zune, and the nonexistence of the iPhone. They've got good sound editing, and Leo Laporte has the radio voice, but that's about it.

DiggNation: okay, maybe I picked the wrong time to start listening to this podcast, being near the announcement of the iPhone, but...good god. I never realized how much of a pathetic Apple fanboy Kevin Rose was. Sure, his entire web site is devoted to Apple fanboyism, but I tend to have this hopeless optimism about people who accomplish awesome things: that they, themselves, are awesome. And, like the TWiTs, they aren't so hot on technical knowledge. Listening these podcasters explain to me how an all-black Google could save lots of money by reducing energy use in monitors was hilarious. There was no mention at all of the difference between CRTs and LCDs. Here's a clue, guys: LCD's have a backlight that is always on, shining bright white. The monitor expends energy reorganizing the liquid crystal to block that light, forming black. The opposite is true of LCDs about black: it consumes more, not less power. I thought that was basic technical knowledge. This guy is supposed to convince me of the technical merits of an Apple product? You'd hope this podcast would be at least half as entertaining as the digg discussions themselves; it isn't.

The Dungeons & Dragons podcast: Okay, I doubt any of you listen to this, but I have my complaints. Largely, they are irrelevant: after all, the format is fine, the production is high-quality, and the speakers certainly have technical knowledge of what they're talking about. Really, I just complain about the Wizards of the Coasts employees themselves. It's abundantly clear how the people in charge of D&D have transformed from excited, creative geeks who just wanted to publish the next cool book to a bunch of corporate drones who, while they seem to know and like what they're doing, have diluted the flavor of D&D so far as to lose almost all meaning. If you're familiar with the current state of D&D, then I don't need to tell you (or can't convince you if you disagree), and if you're not, well, don't get me started. But I do have one legitimate complaint about the podcast: MONTHLY? What the heck is this, a fricking magazine? Just how hard is it to record a 40 minute podcast? Lazybones.

Penn Radio podcast: No complaints here, save for the 1 day delay per podcast. Penn and Goudeau are exceptionally entertaining, and, like only one other podcast I know, they actually release DAILY! Take that, you lazy-ass weekly podcasters. I need something I can listen to on the way to and from work every day...not once a fucking week. Thanks Penn...and screw you for killing off Monkey Tuesday.

Any others come to mind?

Comments

• Penn Radio podcast: No complaints here, save for the 1 day delay per podcast. Penn and Goudeau are exceptionally entertaining, and, like only one other podcast I know, they actually release DAILY! Take that, you lazy-ass weekly podcasters. I need something I can listen to on the way to and from work every day...not once a fucking week. Thanks Penn...and screw you for killing off Monkey Tuesday.
    First off Monkey Tuesday needed to die off. It was getting pathetic near the end. Or...maybe Penn was just feeling the pull of the weasel.
  • edited February 2007
    Ninja Consultant: They just take too much time to put another episode.
    Weekly Anime Review: He just take too much time to put another episode.
    Anime World Order: They have no fault.

But, I really appreciate all the hard work everyone put on those.
    I truly enjoy all those podcast.
    And they are free :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • The "I Read Comics" girl has never seen a woman in a comic book that she doesn't think is being objectified.

"The Sci-Fi and Fantasy Podcast" idiots have never seen a crappy movie they don't like.
  • Anime World Order: They have no fault.
    My only complaint about Anime World Order would be that they record in advance. I called them on a mistake they made in the last episode (about Sony and Blu-Ray), and they explained that they had corrected themselves in a future episode that won't air for a while yet. Not much of a complaint, I guess ^_~

In general, it seems that a lot of podcasters know about whatever subject they want to talk about, but they don't know much about radio production or audio. They have to spend hours editing, futzing with their site, re-recording, recording ahead, etc... They don't know how to keep the energy level up, or to keep on topic, or to organize their thoughts in a manner suitable for radio.

To be perfectly honest, I've never talked to a podcaster who has a solid production process. Most of them don't even think about things like post-production efficiency or optimization. They spend forever editing things in obsolete and inefficient ways. They don't listen to their own shows in order to improve. They don't keep production journals.

As for audio quality, most podcasters just don't know anything about the equipment. They buy overpriced goods that do them little good, or else they avoid crucial components like compressors for fear of the cost (despite fairly good ones being less than $70).

In fact, I'd say the lack of compression is the single biggest problem with the majority of podcasts out there. Dynamic variety is DEATH in talk radio. You need to compress, and it can be done both simply and cheaply. Software won't do it, as you can't unclip a signal.
  • edited February 2007
    "The Dice Tower": This just got deleted from my ITunes. The show is way over-produced, with bits that are either not enlightening or not funny. (The latest attempts at humor are what put me over the edge.) 95% of the information can be had much more easily (and quickly) on the web. It's like a man stumbling around in a dark room looking for his glasses. They are trying a bunch of things hoping they will find something that is actually entertaining. The show has become quite schizophrenic.

"Nobody Loves Onions": I just found this and I have a love-hate relationship with it. Every now and then there is a segment that is hilarious. To get to those segments, you have to suffer through a ton of crap. Plus, the humor is usually way too sophomoric for me.

One general rule.... If you can't wrap it up in 45 minutes... you're talking too much or you are trying to do too much.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited February 2007
    Hey Scrym, out of curiosity, is the Scott Johnson you frequently mention this Scott Johnson? I rather like Extra Life Radio. There's a 'cast that I can't complain about.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • One general rule.... If you can't wrap it up in 45 minutes... you're talking too much or you are trying to do too much.
    Well, I, for one, miss the longer GeekNights. Not much longer, an hour would be fine. Barring the more recent podcasts, GN has hovered around 45-50 minutes, which isn't quite enough for my commute. It's annoying (and dangerous!) to fiddle with my iPod, looking for the latest Penn Radio for my last 5-10 minutes.

Rym & Scott, you're posing a traffic hazard. I demand you increase the length of your podcast for safety of all. I'm an irrational, vocal minority and I demand my will be imposed on a democratic (or in this case autocratic) society!
  • Hey Scrym, out of curiosity, is the Scott Johnson you frequently mentionthisScott Johnson? I rather like Extra Life Radio. There's a 'cast that I can't complain about.
    No. I know about that Scott Johnson, and that is not the one. The one we talk about a lot is on this forum somewhere. He's a guy we know, a former anime club president. You can see him at most conventions you see us at. There is a third Scott Johnson I know of who makes superhero art.
  • This is the official thread for complaining about other podcasts, and, if you like, giving props to GeekNights...
    I could not live in a world where GeekNights fanboyism existed in any large amount.
  • I could not live in a world where GeekNights fanboyism existed in any large amount.
    That's why GeekNights is the world's #2 podcast.
  • It's annoying (and dangerous!) to fiddle with my iPod, looking for the latest Penn Radio for my last 5-10 minutes.
    I'm not the only one with this problem!! Hurrah!

That's one reason I listen to NPR's It's All Politics. They're around 10 minutes long, which means I can stick them in after a Penn or whatever to finish my commute. =P
  • That's one reason I listen to NPR's It's All Politics. They're around 10 minutes long, which means I can stick them in after a Penn or whatever to finish my commute. =P
    The Computerworld Techcast is also a great podcast that is about 10 minutes long.
  • I can control my iPod with controls on my steering wheel because I am awesome. No dangerous fiddling for me!
  • I actually began listening to your podcast around last summer, I should get around to recording an audio explanation and praise on that regard. But as for other podcasts, the only other one I listen to is the Skeptics Guide, by the Ness. In a nutshell, both Geeknights and the Skepticast significantly changed my outlook on life, and reason.
  • edited February 2007
    Hmm. Podcasts to recommend... Besides Geeknights some other regulars occupying my iPod space include...
    -1up's Retronauts is pretty nice, with its sort of roundtable discussion of old games in relation to newer releases. I tend to cherry pick the episodes for subjects that I'm interested in. They also have a quick review of Virtual Console releases for each week, which gives a good headup when I don't recognize a title.
    -I'm a cartoon Junkie so both Channel Frederator and Refrederator both get thumbs up for being weekly and daily (respectively) cartoon shots in the arm.
    -Penn Radio for all previously mentioned and otherwise obvious reasons
    -12 Byzantine Emperors is great when I have time to kill and I'm not otherwise distracted (e.g at the gym). The lectures are very well done in my opinion and as such deserve my full (or at least 3/4ths) attention. I'll have to thank Rym for turning me onto this one, as I really do love all sorts of history, especially stuff that gets less attention.
    -Fast Karate for the Gentleman, picked for its sheer hilarity.
    -The Show with Ze Frank has long been a favorite of mine, well before I even owned an iPod. Ze is pretty damn funny most of the time and he usually has some rather insightful commentary on the political scene. Plus its another quick little almost-daily 'cast.
    Post edited by Hasbro on
  • It's Ride the Fire Eagle Danger Day!
  • That's why GeekNights is the world's #2 podcast.
    You obviously haven't been to Digg.
  • edited February 2007
    You obviously haven't been to Digg.
    You obviously don't understand a joke.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • You obviously don't understand a joke.
    I guess I should have put that comment in Jason's green "sarcasm" font.
  • edited February 2007
    Currently listening to 5 podcasts regularly. Not including GeekNights, these are my opinions of those podcasts:

Movies You Should See: Great movie review podcast. They've got decent sound quality, the volume is well balanced (especially considering there are usually at least 4 of them hosting an episode) and they have some hilarious off-topic banter, which doesn't go on for too long (usually...). They seem to know what they're talking about in terms of the art of film-making and I've been introduced to a whole load of great films that I never considered watching before. Definitely right up there with GeekNights.

Fast Karate for the Gentlemen: Hilarious podcast, mainly because they know how to rip apart an anime show and they don't rant for too long, but GODDAMN is their sound quality appalling... the levels are usually way too low, so you turn up your volume, but then either Dave or Joel suddenly scream and your speakers explode... Their intro (or lack thereof) could do with some work as well. It seems almost like they were talking about something before recording and one of them just hit the record button just as they were finishing whatever they were doing before. This is followed by about 15 seconds of mic fumbling and ass scratching and then they start the show. Great show, piss poor production.

Anime World Order: Great podcast. I'm not particularly fond of the episodes when they review an extremely obscure anime, but I still find them fairly entertaining. My main complaint is that they sometimes record episodes where they have about 1 hour of email replies... tooooooo long guys. Replying to one email per episode as opposed to +5 would make their show much much more bearable.

The Greatest Movie EVER: This is a podcast I recently started listening to (courtesy of a link from Fast Karate). Good show length (approx. 20-30 mins per ep) and funny banter. The main show host, Paul Chapman, reviews a movie about once a week with a co-host (who changes every now and again). The great thing about this podcast is that he reviews movies that are usually on the borderline of "so bad it's good" and "will give you brain cancer", and from time to time he will cross that line and the show becomes "The Greatest WORST Movie Ever" (including BloodRayne and Catwoman). The podcast suffers similar sound issues as Fast Karate, but not as badly.
    Post edited by Kidder on
  • I'm a pretty big fan of public radio shows that have a podcast feed. I've found them to be the only podcasts that sound more polished than Geeknights, which makes sense considering they employ sound engineers whose entire job is keep the sound quality up.

This American Life- Some of the best nonfiction stories I've ever heard and hands-down my favorite radio program/podcast.

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me- Probably one of the best ways to review and mock an entire week's worth of news at the same time.

Filmspotting- The hosts get a bit too deep into film geek territory on occasion, but I still find myself agreeing with their reviews more often than not.

On the Media- I think is one of the higher quality weekly news programs available
  • I guess I should have put that comment in Jason's green "sarcasm" font.
    Really?
  • There are a few I listen to without fail:

12 Byzantine Rulers
    Coverville
    Does My Geek Look Big in This?
    Dragon's Landing
    ESPN: PTI
    GeekNights (natch)
    Head Games Podcast (my podcast)
    NPR: Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me
    Penn Radio Podcast
    The Onion Radio News
    ZomCast

Others I download but only listen occasionally:
    Acappella U
    All Games Considered
    Boardgames to Go
    Domain of Apokolipz
    Gamer: The Podcasting
    Geek Fu Action Grip
    Have Games, Will Travel
    The Harping Monkey
    Vintage ToonCast
  • You know which podcast is awesome? Mine.

Not really but I couldn't resist.

I started listening to Wait Wait not long ago and instantly got really odd looks as I laughed myself stupid in the car.
  • This American Life- Some of the best nonfiction stories I've ever heard and hands-down my favorite radio program/podcast.
    I can't begin to tell you how awesome this radio program/podcast is every week. It's stories never fail to captivate me and either shock me with unexpected events or leave me nearly rolling off my seat in laughter. This is probably the best radio show hands down on NPR.
  • No love for Otaku Generation? They got me into listening to podcasts in the first place.
  • No love for Otaku Generation? They got me into listening to podcasts in the first place.
    I'll be honest. I tried to listen to Otakon Generation a few times, and I couldn't stand them. Their audio quality was poor, their jokes weren't funny, and they didn't seem very well informed about anything. Half the show was lame in-jokes (like that nickname thing) and vaguely insulting juvenile humour.

Unless the show has changed substantially in the past several months, I have no intention of trying to listen to them again.
  • edited February 2007
    For me it's not audio quality or low quality jokes, it's that for some reason most anime fans voices are grating! I can't listen to them talk regardless of audio quality because their voices just drive me nuts!

Which is one of the reasons I don't have a podcast, because I figure my voice would be annoying as well.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Fortunately, most anime fans know the proper word is 'grating'.

Anyway, chalk me up for the hating on Otaku Generation as well. If every show didn't denigrate into talk about anal sex and "duck holes" I might be a little more inclined to listen to them.