This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I haz a sick.
  • I hope everyone feels better soon. It's no fun to be sick.
  • What is with all this sick? I got the worst cold I've ever had a few weeks ago, and it's just been kinda hanging around, just a little bit, ever since.
  • edited March 2010
    One of four motherboard RAM slots is busted, it's one of the two usable slots, and I just passed the RMA period for this fucking board. I'm going to need to return yet another set of RAM for yet another refund and get yet another 15% of the price taken out of my pocket, just so I can buy a single 4GB stick and lose the benefits of Dual channel.

FUCK.

OH! And it's going to cost fifty dollars beyond what a dual channel set costs to buy a single 4GB stick. Fuck this. This entire experience is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. I don't even know how that slot broke, it was originally functional!

EDIT: Now neither stick is working. Yay, time for another RMA. This computer will have sat here for more than a month with me troubleshooting it. I don't even know what to do.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited March 2010
    So that's what it was, eh?
    You're probably better off going to the manufacturer's warranty on the motherboard than switching over to 1x4GB, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited March 2010
    So that's what it was, eh?
    You're probably better off going to the manufacturer's warranty on the motherboard than switching over to 1x4GB, though.
    The sticks are acting all funny now; neither one is working. Same song and dance as last time. I'm going home for a week; I'll see if I can grab an LGA 1156 pin protector at the local repair shop and send the motherboard to ASUS. Hopefully the RAM isn't zapped, too.

I find myself wondering why I did this in the first place.
  • I'm presently in Madison, Wisconsin. Not much here, but they have a ton of used clothes stores. One had a crapton of Kimonos for 10 bucks and obi for a bit more. None of the ones I really like fit. T_T T_T T_T T_T!

..well I found a short one that's okay, but not the dream one I saw!
  • I just found out that a close friend of mine and former member of the FRC is a raw milk advocate. The woo is strong in this one.
  • I just found out that a close friend of mine and former member of the FRC is a raw milk advocate. The woo is strong in this one.
    We can make them change their mind. (Force feeding has never been so fun :P)
    We can make themchangetheir mind.(Force feeding has never been so fun :P)
    We? This person is not on the forum and would likely scoff at "us". She might listen to me if I present her with evidence.
    Is she against BGH and excessive antibiotics or pasteurization? Cause I can respect the former.
  • Is she against BGH and excessive antibiotics or pasteurization? Cause I can respect the former.
    rBGH poses no significant human health hazard. There have been some studies weakly demonstrating that rBGH causes a rise in IGF-1 in cows, but that hasn't been linked to an increase in IGF-1 levels in humans. Increasing IGF-1 levels may contribute to tumor formation.
    She might listen to me if I present her with evidence.
    Who is it and what evidence do you require? Is it Amber and her husband? I remember a very long time ago that I met them, and her man was talking about how raw milk was better for you and all that jazz.

If you need evidence, I've got it. If they're getting their information from this place, I can tear it to shreds.
  • Nujabes - Dead at 36.
    ; _ ; That is very sad. I really enjoy his music.
  • The Dangers Versus the Benefits of Raw Milk
    Pete, go to town.
    I don't have to. She doesn't cite anything. No backing to her claims. Automatic dismissal.

I'll provide counter factual information later.
  • WOW, that woman is a serious crank! What are her sources for half the shit she claimed?
  • WOW, that woman is a serious crank! What are her sources for half the shit she claimed?
    I enjoyed the "Kids living on farms have less allergies" somehow was connected to raw milk... The Science it doesn't work that way... It could be an endless amount of factors that do this...
  • My favorite was "Personally, I am far more interested in the real story than the propaganda proposed by the FDA."
  • edited March 2010
    Also, the Wikipedia article on pasteurization is biased.

EDIT: I'll be quick for now. Pasteurization was responsible for curtailing occurrences of tubercular diseases caused by TB and Coxelliae burnettii. To this day, we use the 5-log reduction of those bacteria as the main criteria for calling a process "pasteurization." Pasteurization was also instrumental in eliminating Brucellosis from both the public and from cattle.

Yes, there are enzymes that are destroyed by pasteurization, but their health benefits to humans is unknown and probably negligible, since your body produces those enzymes anyhow. For example, while raw milk contains lactase (secreted by the various lactose fermenting bacteria present in the milk), the human body also produces lactase in response to exposure to dairy products. It is unnecessary to supplement the body with external lactase, unless you are lactose intolerant. It's worth noting, by the way, that lactose intolerance is heavily associated with reduced exposure to dairy products. Drink less milk, produce less lactase, become lactose intolerant.

The "beneficial" bacteria in raw milk are, by and large, various lactic acid bacteria. These organisms utilize the lactose in the milk and break it down into lactic acid. That's why raw milk always tastes just a little sour. However, the numbers of these bacteria present in fluid raw milk is relatively low compared to the numbers present in, say, yogurt or kefir. In order to have a significant health benefit, you have to consume quite a lot of those bacteria, and the amount in fluid raw milk is simply too low to be effective. If the number were higher, the milk would no longer be fluid, nor drinkable, because the bacteria will digested most of the lactose. Right now, we pasteurize milk and then intentionally contaminate it with certain lactic acid bacteria to help us produce solid and semi-solid dairy products (yogurt, cheese, kefir, etc). Those products contain lots of "good" bacteria, and they're made from pasteurized milk.

The prevalence of pathogens in unpasteurized milk has been widely studied. I'll link to studies later. It varies a lot by region and such, but at least in New York, L. monocytogenes has about a 5% rate of occurrence in raw milk, which is quite large especially considering the particularly virulent nature of the pathogen. Beyond the big boys of foodborne disease, raw milk is also often contaminated with yeasts and molds, which may produce dangerous mycotoxins.

The views expressed here are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Department of Agriculture and Markets.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Blockbuster Considers Chapter 11
    Circuit City wasn't that big of a loss, but Blockbuster has become something of nationwide symbol and it will be hard to imagine that they may vanish -snaps- just like that. But I guess Redbox and Netflix just kicked it to the curb, video rental stores can now join the list of things that used to be.
  • edited March 2010
    But I guess Redbox and Netflix just kicked it to the curb, video rental stores can now join the list of things that used to be.
    No, shitty video stores will join the list of things that used to be. Blockbuster got to where it is through deceptive business practices, outright lies, and a general disinterest in its customer base. Good video stores that offer equally good material will stick around. The place on my campus with every anime, foreign film, documentary, mainstream and indie release you can think of (including TV series) is a good example. Their staff is enormously knowledgeable, they're REALLY nice to their customers, and for $100 you can get 100 three-day rentals. They have 36k DVDs in stock, 1400 BDs, and VHSs that have not yet hit DVD. Occasionally, they will get movies for you if they don't have them in stock--which is rarely. They also have tons of Dr. Who releases, dating back to the First Doctor himself.

This isn't unique. I know of at least two homegrown favorites just like this in Chicago with TONS of business. Blockbuster didn't fail because it's obsolete, it failed because it sucks at doing what it set out to do.
  • Their staff is enormously knowledgeable, they're REALLY nice to their customers
    I think this is the future of B&M; sales of stuff that can be distributed digitally. You'd better have a GODDAMN GOOD STAFF that makes people want to come to your store.
  • The actual blog link got boing'd, so here's the BB page: Woman buys Happy Meal for observation, no visible decay a year later.
  • Had to drop another college course due to the staggering weight of those test grades. @_@
  • Twilight Manga.
    I will go to my bookstore find every single volume of that, put them all on a pile of garlic cloves outside and light them on fire. I imagine the exchange now...

Barnes and Noble Employee: HEY! WTF?!
    -Matt starts running but stops halfway-
    Matt: You'll thank me for this later!!
    Barnes and Noble Employee: I'm welcome?
  • Have been researching a Low saturated fat/cholesterol diet, and this is going to be a difficult change for me.
  • I so badly need a Q-tip, I have a horrible itch in my ear and I'm at work for another 3 hours!
  • Warm water?