This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• The difference is easy to spot. An awesome person uses this insight to make other people smile. A sociopath uses it to harm them.
    So manipulation is ok if the end result is good? Is manipulation inherently bad or neutral? I ask only for your opinion; not trying to be combative. There's the popular perception that manipulating people is evil, and it'd be interesting if you're arguing against this notion.
  • So manipulation is ok if the end result is good? Is manipulation inherently bad or neutral?
    Is it manipulation to understand why a person smiles when you tell a joke? The joke itself was the manipulation: it caused them to smile. Insight only allows you to craft better jokes.
    There's the popular perception that manipulating people is evil, and it'd be interesting if you're arguing against this notion.
    All social interaction is manipulation to some degree.
  • All social interaction is manipulation to some degree.
    This 100 times. Asking a girl out? That's manipulation. Job interviews? Manipulation. The whole of human existence is based on the manipulation of other things.

The problem is when someone manipulates another person 1) for their (the manipulator's) gain AND 2) at the expense of the person being manipulated.
  • edited March 2010
    All social interaction is manipulation to some degree.
    Martin Luther King manipulated many thousands of people into campaigning for equality by telling them the truth.

Manipulate is another word for change. Cue Obama parody poster.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Manipulate is another word for change. Cue Obama parody poster.
    That's manipulation I can believe in.
  • That's manipulation I can believe in.
    I manipulated your mom last night.
  • The problem is when someone manipulates another person 1) for their (the manipulator's) gain AND 2) at the expense of the person being manipulated.
    Exactly. I manipulate Pete all the time, but he knows I'm doing it and he doesn't seem to mind. Plus, muffins!
  • Exactly. I manipulate Pete all the time, but he knows I'm doing it and he doesn't seem to mind. Plus, muffins!
    You get muffins and sex, I get muffins and sex. Everyone wins.
  • You get muffins and sex, I get muffins and sex. Everyone wins.
    Except the muffins.
  • Everyone wins.
    Hardly, a muffin has yet to materialize on my desk. <_
  • Everyone wins.
    Hardly, a muffin has yet to materialize on my desk. <_<</p>
    Have you tried manipulating Pete? I hear that makes muffins appear magically!
  • Everyone wins.
    But sex is an equally likely result, which I don't want from Pete. @_@
  • Everyone wins.
    I dunno, might be worth it. I hear they are some pretty damn fine muffins.
  • Fail of my day: Having to say myself "Someone in this argument has got to act like an adult and take responsibility.", in an ongoing feud with my father.
  • Have you tried manipulating Pete? I hear that makes muffins appear magically!
    For the record, "manipulating Pete" means "text Pete and ask him to make berry muffins." I'm a generally agreeable sort.
    Pfft, whatever sweetheart. You can't afford this anyway.
  • But sex is an equally likely result, which I don't want from Pete. @_@
    But sex or butt sex?
  • For the record, "manipulating Pete" means "text Pete and ask him to make berry muffins." I'm a generally agreeable sort.
    I'll give it a go.

I can haz muffin!
  • For the record, "manipulating Pete" means "text Pete and ask him to make berry muffins." I'm a generally agreeable sort.
    I'll give it a go.

I can haz muffin!
    1)Lie Back
    2)Think of England
    3)????
    4)Muffin!
  • I just need be careful that #3 isn't butt sex.
  • I just need be careful that #3 isn't butt sex.
    Um...try looking up "Lie back and think of England."
  • I have heartburn...I'm 18 and I'm having heartburn. Screw wisdom teeth.
    I've had persistent heartburn since high school. Prilosec (or the generic) is your friend for long coverage. Ranitidine is your friend if you need it to go away RIGHT NOW, but it doesn't last as long.
    I've had persistent heartburn since high school. Prilosec (or the generic) is your friend for long coverage. Ranitidine is your friend if you need it to go away RIGHT NOW, but it doesn't last as long.
    Thing is, my heartburn is probably a result of the combination of not eating a lot and my combined medication (some generic antibiotic and tons of advil.) Adding more pills to the mix will just flare up the stomach acids even more.
  • Those pills reduce your stomach's production of acid. Ibuprofen doesn't have a problem mixing with them. They aren't like TUMS, which is actually horrible for chronic heartburn; it just neutralizes the acid that's already there, which prompts higher acid production. It's definitely worth at least asking a doctor, if you are concerned about the effect of the combined drugs. You shouldn't let heartburn go without treatment for too long. It can be very corrosive to your esophageal system.
  • edited March 2010
    I have heartburn...I'm 18 and I'm having heartburn. Screw wisdom teeth.
    You don't even wanna know how I've discovered I really, really should get mine fixed. Oh my horrible god.
    For those with a morbid facination, whited out below..
    Bit into a hard nectarine, shifted it to the right rear side of my mouth to chew, bit down and Bam, half a mouthful of pus and serious pain like a MOTHERFUCKER.

Double fail - I can't afford to get them fixed. At all. No matter what I do right now.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2010
    Well today I discovered why I have no respect for all the teachers at school, they use worse grammar than the students. :(
    Dear All

Tomorrow there will be a tuck shop in the canteen during all three school breaks. All the money which we raise will go to the Red Cross to support the poor, suffering victims of the Earthquake which occurred in Chile on the 27th February 2010.

If you have any questions please ask either:
    Oliver Chaimo
    Rakulan Santhakumar
    Jessica Lichtenstern
    Emily van Turenhout
    All in 8C
    Dear studenet,
    remember to return any overdue library books before we break up for Easter.

Thank you
    Mrs Demetriou
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I'm pretty sure I just had a panic attack. Chills, lightheadedness, feeling like I was going to have a nervous breakdown, capped with a momentary contemplation of my own name and face leading to a horrifically introspective period of intense depersonalization. Now, they might have been unrelated to each other, but I am unnerved. Sleep now.
  • Dr. Breen is dead. A sad day for all of us, especially Gordon Frohman.
  • Can't leave for another hour, AHHHHHH! WANT GO PAX!
  • edited March 2010
    Er, wrong thread. I guess that's a fail?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on