This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post music you have made.

Comments

• ...So, my last mic broke, now I positively can't record any music, not anymore. I'm too poor to buy another mic. .___.
  • edited September 2010
    And I hope you think I'm cool.
    I usually avoid commenting on your music because any criticism would stem from me disliking the genre of music you make, but I enjoyed that. I think the lyrics could be a lot snappier at points, but at the same time having a line like "It'll be about how great life is. How Future Luke in 2020 is way more cool than Luke in 2010. Or something like that." is pretty funny.
    Made this yesterdays.Channeling some Olivia Tremor Control/Music Tapes/Major Organ vibes. In other words, I tried to make everything sound as blown-out as possible.
    Pretty cool, but the vocals seemed a bit off. I mean, the whole thing was off (in a good way), being so noisy, but the vocals felt off in a way that didn't fit with everything else. Maybe if it would sound better if I could actually hear them?
    ...So, my last mic broke, now I positively can't record any music, not anymore. I'm too poor to buy another mic. .___.
    I would donate $10 to the "Cielmort makes cool music, let's buy him a new mic" fund.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Made this yesterdays.Channeling some Olivia Tremor Control/Music Tapes/Major Organ vibes. In other words, I tried to make everything sound as blown-out as possible.
    Pretty cool, but the vocals seemed a bit off. I mean, the whole thing was off (in a good way), being so noisy, but the vocals felt off in a way that didn't fit with everything else. Maybe if it would sound better if I could actually hear them?
    Yeah, I agree I need to mess around with the vocals a bit more, but I'm not sure if the solution is to make them clearer or dirtier. It would make sense to me that if I made them even more distorted, they would fit better with the distortedness of the rest of the track. I'll experiment.
  • Made this yesterdays.Channeling some Olivia Tremor Control/Music Tapes/Major Organ vibes. In other words, I tried to make everything sound as blown-out as possible.
    Yeah, I agree I need to mess around with the vocals a bit more, but I'm not sure if the solution is to make them clearer or dirtier. It would make sense to me that if I made them even more distorted, they would fit better with the distortedness of the rest of the track. I'll experiment.
    Compression +lowpass filter+EQing. Distortion, if used should be mild, if one distorts vocals too much then they become incredibly grating, in my opinion.
  • edited September 2010
    Compression +lowpass filter+EQing. Distortion, if used should be mild, if one distorts vocals too much then they become incredibly grating, in my opinion.
    Yeah but, this whole track is pretty grating :P I'm messing around with compression and low-pass, but it kind of achieves the opposite of what I want. The smoothness and bassy-ness makes it even more difficult for the vocals to cut through all the noisy instrumentation.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited September 2010
    Hmm, then I might have remembered the track incorrectly...

Ok, just heard it again.

Ring modulator+Compression+EQ, perhaps, the ring mod would add a nice subtle grate and would also dirty up the vocals, which would be amplified by the compression, EQ the mids up so it cuts through the mix more.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited September 2010
    Ok, I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The following is what happens when you let me run loose with rain sound effects and a saxophone vst.
    Sad Pokemon.
  • The following is what happens when you let me run loose with rain sound effects and a saxophone vst.
    Sad Pokemon.
    It could just be me, but the tune isn't very recognizable in this =/
  • edited October 2010
    The following is what happens when you let me run loose with rain sound effects and a saxophone vst.
    Sad Pokemon.
    It could just be me, but the tune isn't very recognizable in this =/
    That and I really don't like synthesizers that try to mimic real-world instruments. No offense to Sonic, of course, that's just my preference.
    Post edited by Walker on

• So, last month I was chatting to someone about relationships, and they said something like "You only finally deal with all the issues of a relationship once the NEXT serious relationship has ended." Comparing our lives, it seemed as if that had more than a grain of truth.

Like my song for January, this is an old song that I started but never finished. I started writing it in February of 2004. Yeah, and I've now "finished" it six and a half years later! There was a break of about 5 years when I didn't play it at all though.

The reason I went so long without playing or working on this song is that it was just too painful. I was too close to a very bad breakup, and even a year later it WAS still hurting me. Now it just sounds like a typical breakup pop song, even to me, as 2004 Luke and 2010 Luke are two totally different people.
  • It could just be me, but the tune isn't very recognizable in this =/
    Yeah, I wouldn't have been able to make it out if it wasn't in the title.
  • I recorded another one.
    Ahhh, never got a chance to listen to this until now. The rhymes are good, I'm getting a little bit of a Paul Barman vibe. Vocals need to come up, though. I want to be able to hear every word you say in absolute clarity.
  • Vocals need to come up, though. I want to be able to hear every word you say in absolute clarity.
    Yeah, that's the last bit of my music that still reflects my self-confidence. :P
  • Vocals need to come up, though. I want to be able to hear every word you say in absolute clarity.
    Yeah, that's the last bit of my music that still reflects my self-confidence. :P
    It's okay, I have a tendency to do that too. But with rapping, it's so absolutely necessary that the vocals are right up front. They're the meat of the song.
  • I recorded another one.
    That's a pretty nice display of lyricism and tongue twisting fast-rap spitting ability. I enjoyed listening to it, and the way you switched up the flow at times was really impressive. Your flow got a bit choppy at times though, but with your over-enunciated and fast style on most of this song that's easy to do, and those few bits aren't that noticeable. The beat is good too, is it self-produced?
  • The beat is good too, is it self-produced?
    Yeah, I made the two synth bits and the driving bongo drums a year or so ago with FL Studio, dug them up again, then chopped them up to make it fit with a new concept. The drum and snare are a combination of samples and a couple of different recordings of my drums layered on top of each other with some reverb to make 'em sound nice, and that syncopated tearing sound is a recording of me ripping up an old poem.
  • I made a rap in 7/4. Tell me what you think.
  • I made a rap in 7/4.Tell me what you think.
    I feel as if the lyrics should have been done by Microsoft Sam.
  • I feel as if the lyrics should have been done by Microsoft Sam.
    I have no idea what you're getting at.
  • edited October 2010
    I feel as if the lyrics should have been done by Microsoft Sam.
    I have no idea what you're getting at.
    Sorry, typo. What I meant to say is that I felt as if the song would have been rapped with Microsoft Sam.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Sorry, typo. What I meant to say is that I felt as if the song would have been rappedwithMicrosoft Sam.
    I got that, but still have no idea why you think that's a good idea. :P
  • edited October 2010
    I think he's referring to the delivery. Like, the way you break up the syllables in certain words and speed up and slow down gives it that feel. Not in a bad way, though.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Oh, right, I get it now. Anything else? Every time somebody finds something wrong with my music it helps me improve that much faster, and any time you find something good it motivates me and lets me know what I'm doing right. I probably pester my friends about this too much, but I feed off of your feedback.
  • This was probably intentional, but NOONE likes overdrive in their ears.
  • This was probably intentional, but NOONE likes overdrive in their ears.
    I felt the same way.
  • NOONE likes overdrive in their ears.
    That is incorrect.
  • I liked it.