This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post music you have made.

Comments

• Here's a song I wrote a few weeks ago and performed for a group at my home last night. It's called "Rebound Dating" and is based on dates I had a year ago.

It's the first time I've played it for a group of people, so decided to video the performance to see if/when/why they laughed. I'm happy with the response, but they certainly laughed at points in the song I was expecting. But that's good I think! I learn a lot from a video like this.
  • So you've probably seen this:

Well, it bummed me out that there was no decent male versions of the song. It even got to the point that, one one video where a guy sang it, one commenter said that the song was basically written for women to sing (despite the original by Owl City being by a guy).

So, I'm throwing my hat in, so to speak.

This is done with my weird pop-music falsetto.
  • Hmm, vocals are too low on the mix, did you EQ them? add a bit of mids to make them pop,. or just lower some of the other instrument's levels.
  • All I had was the karaoke version of the song, in which the volume was EVERYWHERE. I used a hard limiter and boosted the gain to try and normalize it without destroying the levels, but there's only so much you can do before it starts distorting; it's only a youtube rip, after all, and not a very good one at that.

I did up the mids on the vocals and also increased the volume in place where the music really amped up. My own natural volume was a bit low because it was hard to maintain the breathiness of this singing style. I tried compensating by getting closer to the mike, but it produced too much noise.
  • If you wait until half way though, he switches to a different audio take, and the vocals increase in volume. And then switches back.
  • edited July 2011
    If you wait until half way though, he switches to a different audio take, and the vocals increase in volume. And then switches back.
    Actually, it's only one take. Like I said, in parts where the instrumental amps up (Boy does it amp up), I upped to vocals. Without increasing the vocals, they just get lost.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You should just keep the vocals at the level you have them for the chorus throughout, rather than adjusting them based on the section. Then adjust the master so that it's not clipping. Alternatively, just lower the instrumental. If you're compressing it that much, it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, I like the cover, good singin'.
  • I just turned on the mic when I was playing through the tabs for this song. Needs work but oh well... Foster the People - Pumped up Kicks - Acoustic Cover
  • Here's the first song from a set in a show I did last night. It's called "Hey Luke, Hey... You!" It's about not remembering peoples' names, and the strategies I employ to not look like an idiot when I meet them again.

The recording isn't perfect by any means, as it was the first time I ever performed the song (I only wrote it two weeks ago), but I'm really proud of it. Give it a listen/watch!
  • edited September 2011
    That was super funny, Luke. Dug it.

I just finished an EP of stuff I've been working on since November and it feels good to have it done. If you like twee, shoegaze, and chiptune all melted into one, well, maybe you'll like this.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Playin with Ableton for real for the first time. I just banged out a little sample for a new song thing I'm working on. There are still some quantization issues to work out but it's a fun sound so far.

Crystal Clear - Rough Draft 1
  • edited October 2011
    More Ableton! Lots of pre-done loops in this one, but I did a lot of arranging and such.

Get Down!

Also did another one called Pulse. This is mostly synth and a VST in Ableton but it's all my playing on a midi keyboard I just got. Enjoy!

Pulse - Rough Draft
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Those are sounding pretty cool, Vhdblood. The one thing I'd say is that you're good at variation, but it would come off a lot stronger with some more complex melodies. Just try expanding on them a bit and I think you've got some good stuff.

I just finished a little piano composition that I had started this summer and forgot about.
  • Just a quick mock up recording I made, might go to the studio and finish it if I can find a beat I like.
  • Here's the beginnings of something:

Setting Out by The Walker
  • I was just thinking how I hadn't heard anything from you in a while! I really like that instrumental, it reminds me of a more robust Casiotone for the Painfully Alone.
  • A shame I can't find a decent MIDI to MP3 converter. I had to write several pieces when I was in college, and some, while often simple, are still pieces that make me happy.
  • edited January 2012
    A shame I can't find a decent MIDI to MP3 converter. I had to write several pieces when I was in college, and some, while often simple, are still pieces that make me happy.
    I use Reason, and I think it can read MIDI files. Upload me something and I'll see what I can do with it.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I'll send the links via PM, 'kay?
  • Thanks to the help of the very kind Günter, here's part of the theme and variations suite I wrote for my 4th theory semester class. Sadly, it's missing variations 1 and 3, but I'll try and fix that someday.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/bnNb4KC-/Tema.html
    http://www.4shared.com/mp3/92cAVVcS/Bambuco.html
    http://www.4shared.com/mp3/SkySdrhb/Bambuco_Harpsichord.html (Günter changed the instrument from piano to harsichord and it sounds really good)
    http://www.4shared.com/mp3/vyH9CNBN/Vals.html
    http://www.4shared.com/mp3/u7B2bYPq/Pasillo.html

• Finished a new song yesterday:

Optimism (Single Mix) by Cyclops Rock

Andou, is there a way you could upload those to somewhere we can stream them? It'd just be easier than having to download a bunch of files.
  • That song is awesome, Sail. I love the combination of chiptunes and garage rock.
  • Actually, Sail, thanks to 4shared, you can listen to the song without downloading it.
  • Actually, Sail, thanks to 4shared, you can listen to the song without downloading it.
    Oh!! I figured it out. Turns out I just had to let the player load. Derp.

Bambuco and Pasillo are my favorites.

• Thanks. They're actually based on traditional Colombian rhythms :).
  • Finished a new song yesterday:

-DUDE-
    I dig this like crazy, man.

Here's a thing I just finished throwing together:
    Disco Planet by Fantasyland
  • Lots of good stuff coming out from the forum lately. My band's first album is in the final stretch, so soon I'll get a couple songs off that on here.
  • That mix is super great, Jeremy. Pretty amazing list of samples you've amassed there, too.