This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I would make sure you knit it a little bit tight, since the alpaca will make it stretch out/drape a bit.
    You weren't kidding. It does stretch a lot. I was about 1/4 of the way through the project and had decided to restart. The alpaca was very nice but the color of it being a very dark charcoal barely showed the pattern.

So I had to go back and get new yarn. This time I'm using Cascade 220 100% Peruvian wool in a dark gray. It's a rougher, but better than acrylic.

I'll probably use the alpaca to make gloves or mittens. Or perhaps something for a Secret Santee. ^___~
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I personally love 220. I'm making a sweater out of it. It's a good workhorse yarn. In general, lighter colors show patterns better. Darker colors work fine for lace, but for any kind of texture the light colors work best. It has to do with how much contrast there is between the shadow and the base color. Darker colors have less shadow contrast. Variegated yarn colors have the same problem; sometimes they swallow patterns.

I would check Rav for patterns specifically designed for alpaca or llama yarns. They will be adapted to the draping.
  • You guys should have gone to the Maker Faire. There was so much knitting and yarn going on.
  • You guys should have gone to the Maker Faire. There was so much knitting and yarn going on.
    And you didn't take pictures to share?
  • And you didn't take pictures to share?
    The Internet probably has a jillion pictures.
  • edited September 2010
    You guys should have gone to the Maker Faire. There was so much knitting and yarn going on.
    And Don't forget about CRAFT: - the Craftwork version of make, more focused on knitting, crochet, so on. It's also got a decent presence at maker faire now.
    Post edited by Churba on
    And Don't forget aboutCRAFT:- the Craftwork version of make, more focused on knitting, crochet, so on. It's also got a decent presence at maker faire now.
    Actually, the whole crafting area was sponsored by BUST magazine. http://www.bust.com/magazine/on-newsstands-now.html
    I thought about it, but I was busy Making this weekend. Plus the schoolwork. I have a lot to get done.
  • I thought about it, but I was busy Making this weekend. Plus the schoolwork. I have a lot to get done.
    Sorrow, they had some amazing yarns there. So amazing, even I could tell. One girl even had a actual spinning wheel with the foot pedals and everything.
  • I thought about it, but I was busy Making this weekend. Plus the schoolwork. I have a lot to get done.
    Sorrow, they had some amazing yarns there. So amazing, even I could tell. One girl even had a actual spinning wheel with the foot pedals and everything.
    Dude, come to my house. I have a spinning wheel with foot pedals too. ;) It's probably for the best. I have no yarnz moneys right now. I am saving a specific amount of money to go to Rhinebeck, but other than that I am not supposed to be buying string. S'posed to be selling it.

Hey Ro, big shop update on October 1! :D
    And you didn't take pictures to share?
    Pictures here. I wasn't really focused on the knitting stuff but I did grab a few photos of stuff that was knit or sewn. I'll probably make another thread to share some of the other stuff I saw there.

Maker Faire 055
    Maker Faire 077
    Maker Faire 074
    Maker Faire 073
    Maker Faire 072
    Maker Faire 071
    Maker Faire 010
    Maker Faire 005
    Maker Faire 004
  • Hey Ro, big shop update on October 1! :D
    Uh oh. I just got a new credit card too. >_______
    And Don't forget aboutCRAFT:- the Craftwork version of make, more focused on knitting, crochet, so on. It's also got a decent presence at maker faire now.
    While the website is still active, the actual magazine version of Craft is sadly defunct. It ceased publication in 2009, which is a shame because it had a lot of good craft ideas in it.
  • While the website is still active, the actual magazine version of Craft is sadly defunct. It ceased publication in 2009, which is a shame because it had a lot of good craft ideas in it.
    Oh, I wasn't aware - Sorry about that.
  • Made a quick patch for my violin case to distinguish it from the other ones in the class
  • Awesome. I keep wanting/intending to get back into cross-stitch, but knitting keeps my attention! Project ST@Cross-stitch. >__<
  • Finished the Ballard Slouch hat for my friend.

Now onto my fingerless gloves with the Earth Kingdom themed merino yarn! Using US #2 needles for the first time. I'm really like knitting with smaller needles. It just looks so cool, but it's really the yarn that makes it look cool.

Teaser!

• edited October 2010
    Learning how to crochet so I can do amigurumi. Hook & Needles has some really nice tutorials that I've found so far.

Edit (5 hours later):

I've successfully learned how to do the basics of crochet and made my first amigurumi project of making a ball. The end part needs to be done better, but with practice I'll have it down soon enough.

• I'm done with my fingerless gloves. It gives +5 to earth bending techniques.

• Oooh! I like how those colors came out!
  • Oooh! I like how those colors came out!
    Yeah they came out very well. It's weird though, on the right glove the same pattern of contrasting colors repeated in a stripe like pattern all the way up the glove, but in the left glove it was in patches. It's weird how it turned out that way, but the thumbs turned out to be very similar.

It's fun to see how multi-colored yarn turns out on projects.

BTW, the weather was finally cold enough to wear my clover hat for the first time. I was so pumped to finally wear it in public.
  • edited November 2010
    Recently finished a quick hat of a simple k2tog/yo repeat pattern for a friend, using Nuri's red yarn. The pattern is called Pop on Ravelry.

I really like the hat so much that I plan on making another one for myself, but I need to buy more yarn. -___-

I also bought some Addi Turbo needles and plan on testing them out with my own hat soon. I can't wait to see how they work.

• I don't have any photos yet of my crochet projects, but I finished these burp cloths recently for a friend of mine who had her first baby. She's really into Steampunk so I thought the gears would be a nice embellishment. It was my first attempt at embroidery, but they came out okay in the end. They're lined with terry cloth on the inside.

• Very nice. I want to get back into embroidery and have been shit talking about it for ages.

Are you crocheting normal type things like doilies, blankets, and clothes? Or are you doing Amigurumi? I've started Amigurumi and it's really fun and easy.
  • edited November 2010
    At the moment it is just normal things, mainly scarves because they are quick, easy, and are the type of handmade present that my family will actually use. So that's what they are all getting this year because I am so broke right now.

But as soon as Christmas is over I'm definitely going to start playing around with Amigurumi. I have a pattern for a blimp in my Ravelry queue that I want to make for this same friend who got the steampunk burp cloths.
    Post edited by MurrGenki on
  • Sweet. There is another thread where we posted crafts before this thread was created.

What is your Ravelry handle? I'm RosakaKnit. Feel free to friend me.

I did not make this myself but it came up on a google image search and i thought it was awesome
  • @Ro My handle of Ravelry is also MurrGenki.

@gundabad That's pretty neat. Reminds me of the cool crocheted sushi I've seen.
  • I'm not starting any new knitting projects until 2011 unless they are gifts. The goal is to finish a bunch of unfinished projects (or at least a few) that have been languishing for awhile. Like this jacket I started knitting last year that still needs a second sleeve and a collar. Or the 4 pairs of socks I have on the needles. It has made me realize I have way too many unfinished projects! Plus it is hard; as soon as you tell yourself not to start anything new you get a bajillion ideas.

Are you guys monogamous crafters, or do you like to have multiple projects going on at once? I definitely like to have different sized projects with different sized yarn and different stitch patterns so I can work on whatever I'm in the mood for at a given moment.
  • Are you guys monogamous crafters, or do you like to have multiple projects going on at once? I definitely like to have different sized projects with different sized yarn and different stitch patterns so I can work on whatever I'm in the mood for at a given moment.
    I try to be monogamous, but lately I have several projects going on at once. I found it is nice to change it up if I get tired of a certain project.

Plus it's always good to have something on deck or ready to start if you finish a project early.