This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• I want to knit myself some serious gloves over winter break.
  • Omar,

That video totally fucking works along with using a size smaller needle for decreasing. HOWEVER, increasing from the decreases was extremely difficult. I had issues getting the needles under the stitches for the single crochets.

OMG, my hand. It cramps so much. My right hand! My right hand!
  • I'll have a go at it, I just need to buy a smaller crochet hook then.
  • that is awe inspiring.
  • I have extra money to buy Knit Picks Harmony wood needles, but I don't know where to start or what I should get. I keep thinking I should get the interchangeable circular set, but I don't plan on making anything that needs those.

Perhaps a set of DPNs in various sizes or fixed circulars in various sizes. Decisions. Decisions.

I pray this never happens to me.
  • I have extra money to buy Knit Picks Harmony wood needles, but I don't know where to start or what I should get. I keep thinking I should get the interchangeable circular set, but I don't plan on making anything that needs those.

Perhaps a set of DPNs in various sizes or fixed circulars in various sizes. Decisions. Decisions.
    Circs can be used for straight knitting, too. They're much easier on the wrists because you don't have a bunch of weight hanging on the back of your needle torquing your wrist. I use my interchangeable circs for EVERYTHING. Except socks, because the needles don't go that small.
  • edited December 2010
    Circs can be used for straight knitting, too. They're much easier on the wrists because you don't have a bunch of weight hanging on the back of your needle torquing your wrist. I use my interchangeable circs for EVERYTHING. Except socks, because the needles don't go that small.
    Very true. I will probably order the interchangeable set because it's on sale and a few DPNs and one fixed circular.

Since Jeremy wants to get me some, I'll have him buy me other DPNs in various sizes.

I wish I could order them now, but for some reason my work intertrons doesn't like their website.

Interchangeable Set, Size 8 DPNs and fixed circulars ordered! Squee! I will get them before xmas, and I look forward to using them.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • ...why... would you ever do that? Doesn't that defeat the whole point? Just buy store-bought knits.
  • ...why... would you ever do that? Doesn't that defeat the whole point? Just buy store-bought knits.
    I agree, however it is a robotic knitter and the poster is Andrew.
    For you, it's about knitting. For this person, it's about building a robot. The uploader, from the YouTube comments:
    Thank you for your comment – My machine design was never intended to be a practical knitting machine it was simply a microcontroller project I created just for fun showing individual needle movement.
  • OOoooooooh. It's robotics wank. Okay, that makes sense. :)
  • edited December 2010
    ...why... would you ever do that? Doesn't that defeat the whole point? Just buy store-bought knits.
    I agree, however it is aroboticknitter and the poster is Andrew.
    Actually, I think this is pretty great. Obviously you are all into knitting, which is cool. Yet, you must admit the actual act of knitting is a monotonous and time consuming activity. Such a machine can remove that labor, and allow someone to simply concentrate on the artistic work of designing knitted objects while skipping the labor. You could just sit around coming up with awesome patterns and then turn the good ones into reality. You can print small samples to quickly test new ideas. If you wanted to go into business, perhaps on etsy, you could print items on demand. The thing that separates them from store bought is that those designs aren't available in any store but your own.

This particular machine, however, doesn't seem capable of doing a great variety of knitting. It seems to just make one and only one thing.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Actually, I think this is pretty great. Obviously you are all into knitting, which is cool. Yet, you must admit the actual act of knitting is a monotonous and time consuming activity. Such a machine can remove that labor, and allow someone to simply concentrate on the artistic work of designing knitted objects while skipping the labor. You could just sit around coming up with awesome patterns and then turn the good ones into reality. You can print small samples to quickly test new ideas. If you wanted to go into business, perhaps on etsy, you could print items on demand. The thing that separates them from store bought is that those designs aren't available in any store but your own.
    Possibly, but I'm not sure if it would do really complicated techniques like k5b (knit 5 rows below).

Also there is no LOVE put into those creations. :P
  • Also there is noLOVEput into those creations. :P
    You can have sex with it before you gift it to someone. Then it will have plenty of love.
  • edited December 2010
    Also there is noLOVEput into those creations. :P
    You can have sex with it before you gift it to someone. Then it will have plenty of love.
    What makes you think I don't already do?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Good Idea: Taking your knitting with you to various places that might/will have you waiting for a period of time to where you can get some knitting done.

Bad Idea: Knitting while getting your hair cut. >___< The shawl I was knitting for my mother's Christmas present got all kinds of hair all over it. Pretty dumb of me. I was able to get most of it out with those sticky rollers.
  • LOL! I always leave my knitting bag on the waiting bench when I go to get my hair cut. I'm sorry your shawl is hairy. It doesn't help that there is a yarn store a block away from the salon where I get mine cut.
  • Also there is noLOVEput into those creations. :P
    What makes you think I don't already do?
    I'll take ten.
  • Why hello, lover.

I can't wait to try out these bad boys.
  • Why hello, lover.
    Have some super glue handy to repair the joins, just in case. I've been told they changed the glue they use, and that it works better now. However, it does not hurt to be prepared.
  • Yet, you must admit the actual act of knitting is a monotonous and time consuming activity. Such a machine can remove that labor, and allow someone to simply concentrate on the artistic work of designing knitted objects while skipping the labor.
    Sure, but the knitting is actually satisfying for her. It's the physical act of doing it that cures her itchy fingers.

It's the same reason that Warhammer is infinitely more satisfying when played with models that you built and painted yourself. Yes, you could pay someone to do it, or program a machine to do it, but that's not what you're after. At least, not what many people are after. It's pretty much the same with any crafty hobby; it's the act of crafting that people want, not just the finished product.
  • Why hello, lover.
    Have some super glue handy to repair the joins, just in case. I've been told they changed the glue they use, and that it works better now. However, it does not hurt to be prepared.
    Thanks for the advice. I have plenty of super glue handy already. =D
    Sure, but the knitting is actuallysatisfyingfor her. It's the physical act of doing it that cures her itchy fingers.
    This times a thousand. I always have the urge to do something with my hands if I'm just sitting around for a period of time.
  • Not things that I made with string, but rather things my mom has made. It's all cross stitch, and there is a bit of a common theme to most of these (hint, it's dragons). The frames are varying degrees of fanciness based on what she can use at work unnoticed.

• Oh wow, those are nice. I can only imagine how long they took to make.

Apparently I buy a lot of green yarn. >___>

I was looking through my stash and realized that I bought a lot of green yarn. Of course they are various colors; mostly Cascade Yarns, but such pretty shades of green.

I'm planning on making a scarf out of some of them along with a purple color. The others are remnants from the Cthulhu project.

The multi-colored green was a impulse buy. It was the last skein there and it reminded me of the Earthbender colors. I have no idea what to make out of it because I already have a green hat and fingerless gloves.

But yes, my loveseat couch is covered with various bags full of yarn. I really need to buy some storage containers.
  • my loveseat couch is covered with various bags full of yarn. I really need to buy some storage containers.
    Heh. Heh heh. Yeah, have fun with that. I've given up on keeping mine organized.
  • You could make yarn holsters and have knitting showdowns at high noon!