This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• You could make yarn holsters and have knitting showdowns at high noon!
    LOL. Those already exist, though they aren't called holsters. There are plenty of project bags that have a strap so you can attach it to your belt or hang it from your wrist. Very handing for standing in line.
  • Here's that shawl I made for me mum for Christmas.

She likes it very much. As for a fastener, I bought a really cute butterfly hair clamp at the store and it works just fine. A lot cheaper than a shawl pin.
  • edited December 2010
    Oooh, looks cozy! I just unpinned the shawl I made for Pete's mum from the blocking boards. Haven't uploaded pics of it yet. I figure if she doesn't wear it, at least Kitty will have a super nice bed.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I made a blog post about my crafting goals for the year. Let's hope I can get them done!

Oh, and I bought more yarn. >____<
  • edited January 2011
    I currently only have two books, Stitch 'N Bitch Nation and Amigurumi World. Recently, Eskimimi Knits talked about knitting/crochet books from The Harmony Guides.

I just bought knit & purl: 250 stitches to knit, and I am geeking out over all the awesome stitches in this book. I want to knit them all. If anything, it will help me make patterns for the hats I'm going to be donating.

Hosted by imgur.com
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I want to knit them all.
    You want to knit the very best, like no hat ever was? To knit them is your real test, to donate them is your cause?
  • This whole knitting business made a lot more sense once I figured out how to cast on properly. Straight needles helped a lot too.
  • I want to knit them all.
    You want to knit the very best, like no hat ever was? To knit them is your real test, to donate them is your cause?
    She will travel, across the net, browsing far and wide, each knitting pattern, to understand, the crafting that's inside.
  • edited January 2011
    I want to knit them all.
    She will travel, across the net, browsing far and wide, each knitting pattern, to understand, the crafting that's inside.
    (Knitting Ro!) It's yarn and she! To knit is her Destiny! (Knitting Ro!) Oohh, for all her friends, she'll knit scarves from end to end!
    (Knitting Ro!) Oooh, her yarn so pure... no effort to pull them through! You teach me; I'll knit for you! KNITTING RO!!!!
    (Gotta Knit 'em All!) Gotta Knit 'em All...
    KNITTING RO!

Thanks for starting that Gunter; that was fun to write!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Ahahahahaha! XD That took me back.
  • <3 to Gunter, Fred, & Victor.

@Ruffas,
    Were you using circular needles? Are you using knitting.com to help? Best online tutorials evar!
  • That's what I got a first, but I was having trouble getting the yarn back from the thin bit back onto the needle proper. I've been using KnittingHelp and KnittingAbout with youtube supplements. I don't think knitting.com exists anymore cause this is what it gives me:
    The big problem I've run into now is that after the first row it ends up being quite a bit more stitches than it ought to be. That and I'm not sure what to do with the tail from the long-tail cast on.
  • Yeah, I meant knittinghelp.com.
    The big problem I've run into now is that after the first row it ends up being quite a bit more stitches than it ought to be. That and I'm not sure what to do with the tail from the long-tail cast on.
    How many more stitches exactly? Do you put your work down in the middle of doing the row?
  • edited January 2011
    Double I think. I'll take an exact count if I mess up again this go. Haven't been taking breaks between rows, don't trust myself to remember where I was.

EDIT: Figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't switching the working yarn back and forth when I was switching from knit to purl.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Double I think. I'll take an exact count if I mess up again this go. Haven't been taking breaks between rows, don't trust myself to remember where I was.

EDIT: Figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't switching the working yarn back and forth when I was switching from knit to purl.
    Ah, so you were making accidental yarnovers. Yep, that'll double your stitches all right! Circular needles can be tough for beginners. It took me awhile to get teh hang of getting the stitches from the cable back onto the needle.

As for the tail from the cast on, leave it dangling. You can weave it in at the end of the project.
  • Hey nuri, did you have an online store for your yarns? I can't seem to find anything thicker than sported down here in and if you have some, since I'm going to have to buy it online, I'd rather my money go to someone I know at least in a forum than a complete stranger.
  • Hey nuri, did you have an online store for your yarns? I can't seem to find anything thicker than sported down here in and if you have some, since I'm going to have to buy it online, I'd rather my money go to someone I know at least in a forum than a complete stranger.
    Please buy some of my girlfriend's yarn so it won't live in my living room this summer!
  • edited January 2011
    Please buy some of my girlfriend's yarn so it won't live in my living room this summer!
    That's right, it's passed the 9th! Time to buy moar yarn!

I mostly want to buy sock yarn.

Edit: Bought Sockolate Mousse in Tequila Sunrise and Raze the Sky. I'm getting my smaller needles from Knit Picks tomorrow. I look forward to making socks, however I have a project or two ahead of it.
  • Could requests be made for Nuri yarns?
  • Ro is a gigantic yarn hoar. :) She is also going to LOVE the MCN she is going to get in the mail very soon and will become a soft fiber snob, never again to be able to appreciate cheap yarn. Oh, a real tragedy this is!
    Could requests be made for Nuri yarns?
    Yes, what would you like? Tell me what you are looking for, and I'll tell you what I can do. At the moment I would have to order more of my yarn bases to custom dye anything other than sock weight MCN, but if you want a significant number of skeins (like 4 or more) then that should be do-able. I also have some stuff that expired from the store and isn't up anymore, but still available for sale.
  • Ro is a gigantic yarn hoar. :) She is also going to LOVE the MCN she is going to get in the mail very soon and will become a soft fiber snob, never again to be able to appreciate cheap yarn. Oh, a real tragedy this is!
    I can't help it. I love having yarn. It's an obsession that will never end.

Yes, it will be a tragedy on my bank account. But good for you!

I'm already starting to not like the Lion Brand Wool-Ease I got, but it's better than Red Heart Super Saver.

Did you sell all the Water Tribe yarn? I was looking to possibly buy some of those. I would like some blue, yellow, and purple colors.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, what would you like?
    This is a hypothetical future thing. I want to finish what I've started so far and figure out if I want to stick with this first. A few of the ones you've done already look to be along the lines of what I'd be looking for.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited January 2011
    @Ruffas: That's no problem, as long as I have enough lead time and info on what you want.

Did you sell all the Water Tribe yarn? I was looking to possibly buy some of those. I would like some blue, yellow, and purple colors.
    I still have the Luscious and Sockolate Mousse Water Tribe yarns, I believe. Have a paper due at midnight, but tomorrow I can get you some pics of some purple yarn I have if you want.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited January 2011
    I still have the luscious and Sockolate Mousse Water Tribe yarns, I believe. Have a paper due at midnight, but tomorrow I can get you some pics of some purple yarn I have if you want.
    Sure whenever you can. Much appreciated.

Edit: Oh mans, I have a new cross-stitch pattern that I'm making for someone. It's all kinds of awesome, but can't post it here until it's done and delivered. Just fyi. :P
  • Just got my last set of Harmony Wood needles that I'll be needing for a while (hopefully). Jeremy bought them as a last Xmas gift.

I got a few more circulars, a longer cable cord, 6" DPNs in the smallest sizes for sock knitting, and a few other DPNs.

I haz happy.
  • OOooooh! I want the set of 4" DPNs for knitting gloves, but it's $30 and I don't have gloves in the near future queue. So it's not practical. *sigh*
  • OOooooh! I want the set of 4" DPNs for knitting gloves, but it's $30 and I don't have gloves in the near future queue. So it's not practical. *sigh*
    You've just earned $30 from me and you could always move the gloves up to the top of the queue. Just saying.
    You've just earned $30 from me and you could always move the gloves up to the top of the queue. Just saying.
    HAHAHA! No I already spent that on some needles and blocking wires I needed. >.>
  • HAHAHA!No I already spent that on some needles and blocking wires I needed. >.>
    All good. Eventually I'm going to have to drop some money on blocking materials. *sigh*
  • I got the right side and wrong side mixed up ~12 rows back. I'm not sure if I want to try and go back and fix it or chalk it up as a first knitting quirk.