This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Now, this isn't strictly beer, but I'm drinking some Fox Barrel Hard Cider right now and, while the taste is not immediately to my usual pallet of sweet drinks, I sorta like it. It seems to taste sweeter as I drink it, but I'm not fond of the smell.

Anyone know of a sweet hard cider or is sweetness the realm of non alcoholic cider?

Also, if there exists any sweet beers, I'd like to try those.
    There exists in brewing a concept called attenuation.

Point being that the amount of sugar that remains unfermented in a fermented beverage depends on the yeast strain used and the conditions of fermentation, so, yes, there are sweet beers and ciders. What you want is to avoid dry beverages, which denotes a high degree of attenuation. Most mass-market ciders that aren't explicitly marked "dry" will be pretty sweet. Woodchuck is pretty sweet; so is Spire. Both also offer dry varieties.

The catch with beer is that sweet beers are usually - not always, but usually - big, strong, and dark, and balanced with a hefty dose of hops, so they'll be bittersweet. If you want something that's really sweet, look for bock styles, especially doppelbocks, trippelbocks, or even, in some rare cases, quadrupelbocks (No, seriously). Bocks are a German lager style, fairly sweet and malty. You should be able to find Aventinus in any good beer store; I think it's a double wheat bock. Depending on the time of year, consider Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock as well.
  • My father told me a story about when he was in the Army. His landlord brewed beer and sold it by the case (think milk crates). During the holidays he also brewed a special double Bock. My father bought a case of the double Bock, and after just one bottle he was done. He said, and I paraphrase, "Heinrich* my friend, thank you but you can take the case back. That's too much for me."

*May not have been the man's name.
  • The catch with beer is that sweet beers are usually - not always, but usually - big, strong, and dark, and balanced with a hefty dose of hops, so they'll be bittersweet. If you want something that's really sweet, look for bock styles, especially doppelbocks, trippelbocks, or even, in some rare cases, quadrupelbocks (No, seriously). Bocks are a German lager style, fairly sweet and malty. You should be able to find Aventinus in any good beer store; I think it's a double wheat bock. Depending on the time of year, consider Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock as well.
    Good Belgian styles also lean in a sweet direction. Also, try Scotch ales; they're big and malty, with very little hop character.
  • During the holidays he also brewed a special double Bock. My father bought a case of the double Bock, and after just one bottle he was done. He said, and I paraphrase, "Heinrich* my friend, thank you but you can take the case back. That's too much for me."
    Winter is for Quadruple Bocks.
  • During the holidays he also brewed a special double Bock. My father bought a case of the double Bock, and after just one bottle he was done. He said, and I paraphrase, "Heinrich* my friend, thank you but you can take the case back. That's too much for me."
    Winter is for Quadruple Bocks.
    It probably was a quadruple bock. I'll ask.
  • It probably was a quadruple bock. I'll ask.
    Probably not. It was more than likely a doppelbock (double bock), as the stronger bocks are not German styles. The doppelbock can get plenty strong; these guys are uber-traditional German brewers who have a 14% ABV doppelbock.

You also have to remember that beer stronger than about 13% ABV was pretty much totally unknown before Sam Adams released their Triple Bock back in '94.
  • By the by, I'm not particularly keen on the taste of alcohol. I like flavor, not fumes.
  • Anyone know of a sweet hard cider or is sweetness the realm of non alcoholic cider?
    Strongbow Hard Cider on draft is nice and semi-dry. Very drinkable. It's how I earned to start drinking beers. I don't suggest it from a bottle or can.
    Woodchuck Cider is very sweet. I like their 802 and Amber, but I couldn't drink a full bottle of the Fall.
    I'm mixed about Doc's Cider. Some are better then others.
    Hardcore Cider, Apple Jack, Magner's, Hornsby's,,, not a fan.

Best suggesting: Drink till you find what you like.
    Here is a list.
  • Strongbow or get the fuck out.

Pete, I'm seriously considering acquiring some of that BSE Samichlaus Bier Helles for my cellar. That's a beverage with backbone.

Also: Just labeled a Moleskine Graph Paper notebook page "Beer Notes, 12/21/2010 -- [blank]" and created a BeerAdvocate account. Officially a Beer Geek.
  • I have a lot of beer sitting on my shelves, I'm just really looking for some time to actually drink the stuff. ;=;

Also to any food fans, buy some Bell's Double Cream Stout while it's in season. Makes the best Drunken Steak.
  • edited December 2010
    Also to any food fans, buy some Bell's Double Cream Stout while it's in season. Makes the best Drunken Steak.
    Price?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Also to any food fans, buy some Bell's Double Cream Stout while it's in season. Makes the best Drunken Steak.
    Price?
    I think it goes for 2.50 for a single 12-oz bottle, 12-13 for a six pack.
  • Good stuff. I'll cellar it.
  • Bell's double cream stout, eh? I'll look around for some to try it.
  • I've been taking in various Irish offerings lately. Smithwicks is a solid lunch beer with a burger and chips.
  • Oh, I forgot to do so previously - Monty Python's Holy Grail, from Black Sheep Breweries,in Masham, Yorkshire.

It's pretty tasty - Fruity, and a mildly malty. A bit like a Digestive, but not arse. Pretty clean flavors, But a Pleasantly bitter finish longer than Peter North's cock. Sorry if it's a bit sparse on details, I drank it a while ago, with some Kangaroo and steamed veg, which it went with quite well.

All in all, pretty fucking good.
  • I've been taking in various Irish offerings lately...
    Well then, now about one more... Try a Black and Tan or a Trinity. ^-^

Here is a question for the forum: What's your favorite mixed/blended/layered beer drink?

Mine has to be the Dark Cherry from Brown's Brewery in Troy. Oatmeal Stout layered with Cherry Rasberry Ale. It's just wonderful.

• Here is a question for the forum: What's your favorite mixed/blended/layered beer drink?
    I generally don't do layered beer drinks, though I still really really really really want to do my World Wide Stout/120 IPA black-and-tan.
  • edited December 2010
    Here is a question for the forum: What's your favorite mixed/blended/layered beer drink?
    Do Irish Carbombs count? Because I'm a fan.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited December 2010
    I love and hate that drink. Also Flaming Dr. Peppers can DIAF.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Here is a question for the forum: What's your favoritemixed/blended/layered beer drink?
    I should explain what I mean by mixed/blended/layered beer drinks better.

Mixed beer drinks are when beer is used as a component to another drink. Beer-garitas (margarita made with Corona) are a good example. Carbombs are close enough.

Blended beers are two more types of beer or liquid mixed together for a desired effect. Dogfish Head Miles Davis is one beer that is made from two types of beer, think blended whiskey. I'm not sure if Saranac Summer Brew (lager and lemonade) counts as blended or mixed. I think of it as blended beer since it happens pre-consumer.

Layered drinks are poured so you can still see the different layers of the beers.

Really, it means whatever you want it to mean. I'm thinking of layering Magic Hat #9 with Howl later. I don't care what you call it as long as it's tasty.
  • Really, it means whatever you want it to mean. I'm thinking of layering Magic Hat #9 with Howl later. I don't care what you call it as long as it's tasty.
    Not a fan of #9, but that sounds awesome. Howl is fantastic.
  • Not a fan of #9
    Oh mans, I thought I was the only one.
  • Really, it means whatever you want it to mean. I'm thinking of layering Magic Hat #9 with Howl later. I don't care what you call it as long as it's tasty.
    Not a fan of #9, but that sounds awesome. Howl is fantastic.
    I'm open for other suggestions here. #9 isn't my favorite, but I think this could work. I going to try Murphy's Irish Stout or Long Trail Ale with Howl.

I'm tired of seeing everything mixed with Guiness. Cider and Guiness. Lager and Guiness. Champain and Guiness... Their are more and better stouts out there.
  • Their are more and better stouts out there.
    Example: Guinness Extra Stout.
    I've always found most of Magic Hat's repertoire to be decidedly "meh." Not bad per se, just unimpressive. I've never really understood why they're so popular when Sam Adams is superior in almost every way.
  • Example: Guinness Extra Stout.
    So much better, Guiness draft is a massive disappointment. Meal in a glass my ass.
  • Here is a question for the forum: What's your favorite mixed/blended/layered beer drink?
    I'm a big fan of Black and Reds.
  • Meal in a glass my ass.
    Well, to be fair, if you start with Bud Lite as your point of reference...

Actually, even then, Guinness is really a light-bodied beer. It just has a (comparatively) strong flavor, and most people associate "strong flavor" with "heavy."
  • Not a fan of #9
    From what I've experienced, #9 is great on tap. More apricot flavor. It's very meh from the bottle.
  • I've always thought #9 to be rather bland by bottle. Something about either the extra oxygen hitting the beer in the glass or the cleavage of the bartender pouring it just makes the drink better.