This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Irrational Fears

edited May 2011 in Everything Else
People are weird. Even rational people have irrational fears that don't make any sense. I wanted to talk about it, because I have some really peculiar irrational fears that I worry about when I am under stress. Maybe it is the anxiety/OCD but seriously, WTF brain!

Fear 1: I am somehow going to get bitten by a wild animal and contract rabies, but since I don't notice getting bitten, I won't get the shot. Then, one night I will come down with awful neural diseases and die horribly. This is my big phobia.

Fear 2: Becoming a hoarder, especially an animal hoarder. I am a person who loves things to be very neat, organized, and clean, and even though I have slight hangups about wasting things and tend to reuse stuff (I came from super environmentalist family), when I really have to get rid of something, I recycle it or throw it away. The idea of animal hoarding just terrifies me incredibly, because the people have a mental illness deluding them into thinking they are saving the poor animals, when in reality they are letting them die and starve. They just busted a lady upstate who was keeping 73 bunnies in a trailer without food, water, or light, and one of them was dead and the others starving when the animal control came. I can't stand the idea of being an insane cat lady with filth and dead cats surrounding me, thinking that I was being good and helping animals. I want to help animals, and I am scared because of that I would snap and be awful. Brrr. The most scary!

Fear 3: Suddenly becoming hugely fat from being a wasteful and overindulgent person and not being able to run and jump like I want to.

What are your weird fears that bother you?

Comments

• I'm always really weird about making sure my car is locked. I usually lock it with the key, then pull on the handle to check it before walking away. Then I'll get a few yards away and decide to lock it again with my clicker, just in case. Occasionally, even after this, I'll walk back to the car and make sure all the door or my trunk is closed properly.
  • Spiders.

That's mostly it. That's the vast majority of my fear matrix. Although, having had two car accidents not long after first getting my license, both of which were entirely the fault of the other person just being dumb and not looking while speeding and ramming into me (both times on the driver's side door), I do have a fear I've never been able to shake since then, of, I guess, driving in general. Not crippling to the point where I can't get around or anything - I just always have this vague awareness that I could die at any moment through absolutely no fault of my own. Which, is the case at all moments in one's life, but I become especially aware of it when I get into the driver's seat of a car. I think that's one of those things that human brains aren't supposed to be aware of in their day-to-day going-ons.

S'one of the reasons I want to move some place where I can get most everywhere I need to via public transit.
  • edited May 2011
    I can't pick up anything with an overhung rim - like a plastic plant pot, for example - without checking under the rim first, if it's been outside, or otherwise unwrapped somewhere, unless I'm wearing some sort of gloves. I also can't Stick my bare hands, fingers or toes into things like cracks between rocks, holes in the ground, so on.

Also, I had an ex with a massive aversion/fear of mirrors, visual recursions, and being shaken or vibrated.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Bees...Needles...Calling people on the phone...

Probably a lot of others, but I can't think of them right now. But I swear to God I'm full of them.
  • I can't pick up anything with an overhung rim - like a plastic plant pot, for example - without checking under the rim first, if it's been outside, or otherwise unwrapped somewhere, unless I'm wearing some sort of gloves. I also can't Stick my bare hands, fingers or toes into things like cracks between rocks, holes in the ground, so on.
    I developed a personal rule of never sticking my hand into anything I can't see inside of after being cut by razor blades that way twice in one week.
  • Calling people on the phone...
  • But I swear to God I'm full of them.
    You're full of bees and needles? D=
  • But I swear to God I'm full of them.
    You're full of bees and needles? D=
    YES.

And irrational fears, too.
    Even people you know?
  • I can't pick up anything with an overhung rim - like a plastic plant pot, for example - without checking under the rim first, if it's been outside, or otherwise unwrapped somewhere, unless I'm wearing some sort of gloves. I also can't Stick my bare hands, fingers or toes into things like cracks between rocks, holes in the ground, so on.
    Same here. You never know what's lurking just out of sight.
  • Mediocrity.
  • Same here. You never know what's lurking just out of sight.
    I think it's bred into us(Well, Australians at least) simply as a survival skill - I've got vivid memories of every summer helping my father clear the redbacks out of the front stone wall with a propane heat-gun(Wildly excessive, but more fun than bug spray) and usually getting 20-30 of the bastards.
    Even people you know?
    Yep. I got used to it with my ex, though, so repeated exposure eventually makes this less bad.
  • I am extremely frightened of heights. Even when there is no risk of me falling over the edge, I get petrified at the thought of going over. I feel like I will fall to my death every time I look down from as high up as one story.
  • *takes notes as to properly defeat any of you if the time comes*
  • I think it's bred into us(Well, Australians at least) simply as a survival skill - I've got vivid memories of every summer helping my father clear the redbacks out of the front stone wall with a propane heat-gun(Wildly excessive, but more fun than bug spray) and usually getting 20-30 of the bastards.
    WHY DO PEOPLE LIVE THERE?
  • Bodies of water deep enough to where I cannot see the bottom and pieces of seaweed or slime floating in said bodies of water.
  • *takes notes as to properly defeat any of you if the time comes*
    Remind me never to cross your path in a high rise.
  • I'm afraid of dying alone. Not much I can do about it so I just move on as best as I can.
  • WHY DO PEOPLE LIVE THERE?
    It's alright for us, we're used to it. After a few generations growing up in a death world, it doesn't seem so much like a death world, and more like the rest of the world is soft as hot marshmallows.
  • After having been t-boned from the passenger side I get really nervous when somebody pulls onto the road from the right. Also a bit of nervousness at height (unless it's an enclosed space like a room or a plane).
  • edited May 2011
    I'm afraid of dying a virgin. Not much I can do about it so I just move on as best as I can.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Really ghetto loud black men. (Don't judge me. I have reasons and a horrible past.)

Goats. Those eyes are unnatural.

Nutcrackers teeth. The Christmas ones. They look demonic.

Laughing crowds of teenagers.

Things being stolen from me. I always check if the door is locked. I also used to hide important things before I left the house. Growing up men would always break in and Ma was gullible and would trust people who eventually steal from us. Someone broke into me and Jed's old place and once someone tried to break in when I was home when I was young. I always keep my purse close and eyes open.
  • I'm afraid of dying a virgin. Not much I can do about it so I just move on as best as I can.
    You COULD do something. Wanna drive to Nevada?
  • edited May 2011
    I am afraid of abandonment by the ones I love (thanks for that one bio-dad and step-dad), spiders getting into my hair (which happened once, but I had the fear before it happened), of not meeting my potential/not being a worthy member of my awesome family (though it could be argued that that is a rational/useful fear), getting on escalators, walking into a crowd of people that are walking toward me, and of heights in certain circumstances (but I overcome it in order to get enjoyment out of the thrill - i.e. climbing/roller coasters). My biggest irrational fear (irrational for its general meaninglessness) is that humans will never stop waring, oppressing, and harming each other. I obsess about this a lot; mostly about the fact that it is correctable problem in theory, but not in reality. The schism between the ideal and reality is so great that it sometimes panics me (less so now that I started seeing a therapist and taking a mild mood stabilizer).

I have lots of rational fears and concerns, but often they make me a better person in general - of not being a kind enough person, of not doing enough for my family and community, not taking for granted the fact that I live in fairly extreme luxury compared to many people, of not making the most of the time I have, etc.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • You COULD do something. Wanna drive to Nevada?
    Shit, for that, I'D drive him to Nevada. In a big Red Landshark. Gotta do these things in style, don't we?

I'd say my worst one is losing control of myself. I am very capable, and if I lose control, I could very seriously harm someone, possibly someone who doesn't deserve it. I keep myself on a very tight leash, but I know that I'm not perfect, and I could slip - and if I do, even for a very short period of time, and I hurt someone, that is a monstrous thing.
  • I'd say my worst one is losing control of myself. I am very capable, and if I lose control, I could very seriously harm someone, possibly someone who doesn't deserve it. I keep myself on a very tight leash, but I know that I'm not perfect, and I could slip - and if I do, even for a very short period of time, and I hurt someone, that is a monstrous thing.
    This is the manliest phobia.
  • edited May 2011
    Irrational fears, in some kind of order?

1. Spiders. Okay, it's not really a fear, but they are gross. One time, one dropped down from the ceiling to dangle in front of me while I was on the toilet. Not cool. But at least I can retaliate with shoes or by giving them vacuum death.

2. Locking shit. Like Sail, I always have to double-check that I've locked doors and my car. One time I missed a train because I couldn't remember if I had locked the front door, and had to run back across the street to check.

3. Being mugged/home invasion. I don't know what the fuck I'd do if someone tried to break in while I was in the house. As a result, I have to lock both locks and the bolt on the door at night. Open windows would bother me too, but that was when I lived in a first-story apartment. My sister's problem with recurring robbers - who ransacked her apartment once and then almost got in again later when she was asleep - has given me nightmares.

4. Being raped. Other than catching/developing a horrible disease and dying, or losing loved ones, this is probably my biggest fear. I know this town is probably pretty safe, and stranger rapes are far, far less common than acquaintance rapes involving alcohol (which I am really not at risk for), I still will not walk around in lonely areas at night by myself. The one time I walked home from the train alone at 2 am was kinda freaky.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • This is the manliest phobia.
    Not really. It's only an irrational fear in that I can't predict the future. I have lost control before, and it felt GOOD. Fucking great. But to give myself over to that, I become nothing more than a monstrous, violent thug. Smarter than your average thug, maybe, but a clever monster is still a monster. The only sensible, rational path is the path of peace, and calculated violence only when strictly necessary.

I'm under no illusions - even if I have to outright kill someone to protect the people I love, I won't lose a wink of sleep over it. But senseless violence and losing control, that's what wakes me up and keeps me up in the middle of the night.
  • I have this really intense fear that I'm going to be shot and not know it was happening. Like, that a stray bullet that wasn't meant for me is just going to come flying at me. I don't even live in an area where guns are waved around frequently or anything. I'm also pretty afraid of yellow things that fly and have stingers. I stopped at a gas station to get a drink one time, and right after I turned my car off this wasp decided to hang out on the other side of my window. He wouldn't fucking move. I actually turned my car back on and went to park on the other side of the gas station, and guess what? He followed me. I did not buy a drink that day.